Thanks to Hmangphilly

Discussion in 'Piston & Spring' started by RobF, Apr 8, 2019.

1. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Just a thanks to https://shooting-the-breeze.com/members/hmangphilly.4222/ , I know it wasn't the biggest field or the greatest score, but all of the shots were fought hard for and I couldn't have done it without his hard work. So British Springer Champion 2019 is one he can stick in his cap.

I think next year it might be a bit harder now we all realise there's a Springer title on offer.

I can't remember what exact internals we're running except it's an o-ring skirted and Krytox lubed.

2. hmangphilly

hmangphilly Floppy Quick Phil

Well done on holding your nerve in the shoot off mate .

3. RobF

Club:
    :D

Ta mate. I think if I hadn't had mentioned there was 2 for 1 at the local food hall there was a distinct chance Neil would have hung around to hand me my backside but as it panned out my poker face held and he fell for it and exited the car park. Didn't even have to flip a coin. Good job really because after that course I had the feeling it would have landed on it's side and rolled into a drain.

Yoeri_B and C.Eaton like this.
  4. Malcolm lockhart

Malcolm lockhart Member

Congratulations to the firer and the tuner.
    Would be nice to know what you've done with the tx200.

5. RobF

Club:
    I'm fairly certain it has a reduced size ally piston which is o-ring. What size exactly I don't know. It's running a mk1 comp tube because there's no ABT. The rest is actually pretty stock. I'm not even using my rowan blade at the moment.

It was an experimental tune. We got it up to power but I didn't like the really fast action so we slowed it down a bit. When we took the piston out last time we were concerned about wall thickness because we could see some distortion on the walls so we just put it back together to see if the feel had changed enough. Then I remembered we had a comp and took it to that (which was some time ago). His warning was that it could let go in 200 shots, my reply was I only need to do about that to zero and shoot the comp. Since then it's done a few comps. It seems to have held zero, so now I'll invest in a bit of time doing the ranges properly and redoing the scope (which seems to have shifted 2-3 yards), and hopefully that will ease my grey matter when I'm at the end of the shoot and trying to take off 3 yards but add an MOA because I've not bothered to move my turret.

Unfortunately I'm stuck doing that work thing all week so can't play until the weekend. At the minimum I'll look to redoing the clicks so i'm not straddling above and below zero for 20-40 yards.

I'm not going to take it apart until I see a problem. He wants to try a different piston material (something exotic he said... in a Waynetta voice) to see if that alters the temp behaviour. At the moment I'm plinking at my comp shoot speed which is a lot slower than my practice speed (4-5 shots a minute) which seems to keep the heat issues at bay.

nurek and Tarzan like this.
  6. C.Eaton

C.Eaton Confirmed Anschutz Nut...

Club:
    Springfield / TEGC
    And you thought the Walther was problematic...o_O

NeilM likes this.
  7. Sake-San

Sake-San La Vieille Alliance

Club:
    l'Association Francaise de Field Target
    You have it would seem arrived at the same place (fettling wise) that NickG came to some 6 years ago!. That is not in any way a dig because I really do think it is better that you actually walk the uphill path of sharp stones yourself without seeking / taking shortcuts.
    A short stroke, skirted, o-ring piston is the place to be, assuming you seek reliability, minimal scope picture movement, the best temperature stability and consistency. You have even got at least 50% of the lube regime optimized!
    Thanks for sharing and all the very best going forward, to you both

8. hmangphilly

He don't like short stroke Sake .
    Can't remember whart this one is exactly , but it'll be 21mm and around 90mm stroke .
    Deffo skirted...........waithing for that thin ally skirt to pack up , then we can make a proper one .

I think weve still got a couple of the same springs , we got a few in a clearance from chambers I can double check other dimensions but I think 3mm wire ,

9. C.Eaton

C.Eaton Confirmed Anschutz Nut...

Club:
    Springfield / TEGC
    Graphite is the way ahead for temperature stability...;)

10. Malcolm lockhart

Malcolm lockhart Member

Thanks for that. Would like to shoot a 21/22 TX and compare with my lgv. Have shot a titanium piston TX, don't know what its dimensions were, very fast and snappy.
    Will have to be the next project.

11. Cooper_dan

Cooper_dan Well-Known Member

Good shooting.
    Genuine question though, do you think the scores/end result would have been any different with standard internals?

Once you have worked out the range, windage and have good trigger technique and follow through, what real world advantage does the tuning have round a course?

12. hmangphilly

It's all about confidence Mr Dan .

The reduced bore / long stroke / light weight has a slightely softer shot cycle .
    This allows Him to see where some of his his misses are going , and therefore convince himself that he is shooting better .

Whatever works .

What he really needs for future events is a reliable way to make sure all the decent springer shooters either .........
    ......don't realise there is a springer category.

or
    .....have to go home for their tea before the shoot is over

This way world domination is a cert .

MickyFinn likes this.
  13. RobF

Club:
  14. Nick G

Nick G Active Member

Club:
    Greyhound/ Purley Chase
    Sake is on about my 25mm tunes ,in 21mm I have had as short as 90mm, ( where you need to be if you want a 3mm section spring to survive ), but have a longer stroke in my own target gun ( with a smaller section spring ), as far as your ally skirt is concerned mine run with a wall thickness of 0.6 mm not had one let go yet, ( the one I use regularly been in the gun for almost 2 years now ).Unless the spring breaks and that destroys it .

top gun phil likes this.
  15. prosport.177

prosport.177 New Member

Nick
    I have to say it shoots really sweetly with the longer stroke in that 21mm tune ,)
    Ha ha but you do need to get the action re blacked!

16. Nick G

Nick G Active Member

Club:
    Greyhound/ Purley Chase
    That was the "mule " Charlie ,I will be doing a little machining soon so going to knock you a 21mm piston body up so you can have a play yourself , after all your pestering :)

17. prosport.177

prosport.177 New Member

Ha ha your a kind man Nick, ) pestering? Me! Ha ha really!
    Mk1 !! !
    Stop it!

18. ellis d

ellis d Active Member

Club:
    Castle ftc
    The advantage of proper tuning, is you hit more targets, shooting a standard Tx200 mk3 is shocking, the shooting cycle is slow and drawn out and hold sensitive, my Tx mk3 is running an alloy piston, mk2 spring, standard seal and stroke more like a mk 2, there’s no comparison quicker less hold sensitive, easier to shoot.... and you hit more targets and you can see more shots land. I think if you shoot a standard mk1/2 that’s ok, The standard mk3 is hard work and not good enough and designed for FAC...for the American market