Technical target question

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by Conor, Sep 28, 2011.

1. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    If there is a clearly visable gap in the kill between killzone and paddle can the target be called by a shooter to be repositioned?

I have checked and the only thing I can find to perhaps cover the issue on BFTA rules is that a faulty/malfuntioning target can be called and either fixed/replaced by a marshal and shot again.

Does a gap in the kill represent a faulty malfunctioning target?
    As effectively there is a possibility of correctly putting a pellet within the kill but not on the paddle therefore resulting in a miss due to the paddle not being engaged?

Also if the target was fine at the beginning of the comp, and due to excessive resetting, movement etc, during the comp it has moved to result in a gap in the kill, can the target be repositioned?

Conor

2. ajtone

ajtone New Member

that would be like having a 40mm hole in the faceplate, but only a 30mm paddle behind to hit:)

thats only my opinion of course.

3. scutter

scutter Aspiring to mediocrity

Club:
    MEMBER OF M.A.D
    In HFT, the target will be repositioned or replaced.

4. AndyIoW

AndyIoW Member

I believe that the shooter can 'call' a target if there is a gap. I have had it done on a course I did after half the shooters had gone through some years ago. The target was replaced with one of the shot 'spares' so there was no clean target ;).

A target can move over the course of the competition and having shot at a target that had a gap and managed to put it through the gap it is most frustrating.

5. NJR 100

NJR 100 Because I`m AWESIME !!

Club:
    Avon Hawks, Tondu, Oaktree
    I was sure there was rule that said faceplates had to be within 5 degree of the firing point, or something simular. Thus preventing gaps in kills.
    Cant find it now though.

I would call it.

6. Scoch

Scoch HOW!!!

Club:
    Tayside Airgun Club
    Hypothetically then does HFT differ from FT in that you can call that gap after you have shot it (or am I misinterprating part of Conors post).

I was under the impression you could call this before you have shot it (HFT) but not afterwards.

Am I wrong?

It would still be repositioned but you wouldnt get to shoot it again.

7. Scooby

Scooby Pete Dutton

Steve, I think Conor is referring to calling it before being shot, I think the situation raised it's head at the recent FT Euros in a shoot off

8. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    IF

If you call the target as faulty in any way it has to be fixed to the shooters satisfaction . if you take on the target and miss with out calling it , then that is down to you .it is no use the marshal saying it was that way for the shooters before you and that is the way it is staying , it is an illegal target if you cannot see all the kill ,or it does not work properly and you should refuse to take it on till it is inspected and replaced or moved or repaired ??? HOLLY:)

9. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    Sometimes a gap is not always visable with a black kill and dark background....even with a March 8-80:D

Personally the target should be repositioned and reshot by the shooter who, like you say, clearly hit the paddle but at an angle which resulted in a insufficient strike to fully engage the mechanism to cause the paddle to fall, therefore the target malfunctioned and therefore a marshal if called should sort the target and the shot be taken again.

At the end of the day the targets are there to be hit, not missed:)

But as I say, technically, there is no reference to target placement in relation to the firing line:(

10. Delphinus

Delphinus New Member

Club:
    CTC

Here in Portugal we have the 5 degree rule and we can call a Marshal to correct it but only before we shoot and not after.

11. Willbe

Willbe I Like BIG Hats!

Club:
    Far Coley FTC
    Sounds the better way, to call BEFORE shooting. Reshooting "faulty" targets leaves way too much scope for abuse.

12. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Hits .

a story on these lines , i was leading the winter league ( not for long ) and we were at west london rangers . i was shooting with pat , the area sec . i shot first at a good 52 yard target up a tall tree . saw the shot hit and down it went . to my horror back up it went . the string was so heavy that the weight of it pulled the target back up . i said to pat did you see that ( blind as a bat ) you missed he said . oh well there you go . some times your up sometimes your down ??? HOLLY:):D

13. mikewills8904

mikewills8904 walthers last the course

Club:
    oaktree ftc and tondu ftc
    Situation, a shooter uses one of those leg brace systems, you generally see fitted to 10m guns. On a kneeling shot the leg brace is moved - as it cannot be removed during the course of fire - it now sits across the leading arm resting on it - is this legal? Have witnessed this twice so far but when mentionmed to the marshall he said it was legal.

matt
    i always thought that there should be a clear gap between the forend and the leading arm .the only part of the leading hand to touch is the hand.

i always thought that if you could see a gap between the padle and target then it is your right to call it .i know i would ,

14. rich

rich Active Member

Isn't it a fundamental tenet that you are only allowed one shot at each target?

15. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    True .

True , unless the target is proved faulty and that does not include the string getting caught on a bush or such . the onus is on the shooter to check the string is free before shooting . in the case of a called target . the marshal shall go forward to check the target ALONE . he will then inspect the target and if not seeing any obvious fault , shall tap the kill with a pen or small stick to see if it works properly . if it falls it is a miss . if there is a problem with the target , then it should be replaced and the shooter allowed another shot at that target .??? HOLLY:)

16. Scottish Guy

Scottish Guy Member

Club:
    Dunfermlie ARC
    Should you not have called the target and got a marshal to climb the tree and check the target:)

17. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Big dave was the marshal and he could not climb over a lolly stick unless there was a BURGER on the other side ??? HOLLY:):D

18. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    I pointed out to two top shooters my kneeling trick of late, which I have not used, but wondered about. Whilst playing with my position I found extending my trigger hand little finger forward helped locate the rifle and keep the pistol grip away from the forearm, which could be a problem with my position. As a by product, it offered a tad more stability.

One said it was fine. The other said not. I personally don't think it is either.

In my book, slings should be junked from positionals. There's probably only one shooter I can think of that uses one to his advantage, the others who use them i feel would do better without. But then who am i to talk about tech advantages? Kneeling? The leading arm should only touch the rifle at the hand, and the hand should be unsupported for me. The pistol arm should only touch at the pistol grip, and the butt should be the 3rd locator. Touching clothing is always going to be problematic, but i'd say where hooks & buttons are shown to add support they should be removed. Same as in standing... else you could have a large pocket to stick your elbow in, or a box in the pocket...

Gloves on and off is a bug of mine as well while im at it. On or off. Not on for 4 shots, then as a knee pad for the rest of the course.

I'd call a target that was open to the point where i could feel it would be a possible problem. 30yds of terror in no wind I wouldn't bother with, but wouldn't begrudge someone calling. I never thought that was a problem.

19. NJR 100

NJR 100 Because I`m AWESIME !!

Club:
    Avon Hawks, Tondu, Oaktree
    Berty called a target sunday. i think it was myself and the Real Mark fisher had just shot it. On the yellow course, think it was a squirrel at around 45m? when i shot it it fell to the left. at first i thaught i had shot the wrong tartget as it looked as if it were pointing about 3 lanes down! did not see any gap in kill otherwise I would have called it.

20. mikewills8904

mikewills8904 walthers last the course

Club:
    oaktree ftc and tondu ftc
    target

simon berty did call that target ,he had hit it but noticed a gap in the kill ,so he called it to make sure no one else had an issue with it ,which i thought was quite a nice thing to do