Team Wild : Field Target SUPER GUN

Discussion in 'Videos' started by RobF, Apr 11, 2013.

1. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    <iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/XqbxArb7nS4?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. SDplinker

SDplinker Pellet testing...yawn

Club:
    CASA - California Airgun Shooters Association
    Don't own one but have shot several - great rifles. Take a little getting used to ergonomically but they can be set up very nicely. Designed for low pressure fills which I wish more manufacturers would do. This one runs at ~1300 psi. The valve and hammer setup is really optimized for near 20 ft lbs power levels. I always thought about having Tim build one for sub 12fpe some day but the guns weren't really designed for it which is a shame.

-Casey

3. Thepointman

Thepointman Member

Club:
    Good Ole Boy's Field Target Club & Invicta Field Target Club
    Casey,

You're right, it's a 20 fpe design. The gun shoots incredibly accurately at about 17-18 fpe. The low pressure, high volume fill is nice. No regulator to ever deal with either. I get about 70 good shots per fill. I get what I consider about 35 extremely consistent shots in the "sweet spot." Those will stay within 3-5 fps. So, I would normally top off the tank about half way through a 60 shot match.

Hopefully I'll have a WFTF gun set up that shoots as well soon. It has just taken time to get that right...

Harold

4. SDplinker

Club:
    I wonder if Tim and LD will ever go back and revisit sub 12 fpe power levels. I know they aren't big fans of that game and most of the focus has been on Open/FAC and benchrest. But I think it would open up the rifle to lots of other shooters if it could be done and it would be neat to see a US built and designed rifle finish high in the worlds some day.

I know there is one Portuguese shooter who used one at the World's this past year - I think it was an orange color. Saw it in the team Portugal videos from Norway.

5. Thepointman

Thepointman Member

Club:
    Casey,

It's doubtful at this point. They did put considerable effort into Paul Cray's WFTF gun, but I still don't think it was up to par with other WFTF specific guns. I think Tim is more interested in bench rest shooting these days.

There's such a good field of guns to choose from that are WFTF specific already, that it may not be worth their efforts at this point. The USFT was designed for U.S. high power Field Target. No sense in trying to fit a square peg into a round hole as they say. It's just too easy to pick up an EV2, Walther, TM1000 or Steyr and be ready to go as soon as the gun is set up.

Harold

6. SDplinker

Club:
    You are right Harold. It's just too bad the 2nd hand EV2's and Steyr's cost so much more in the USA. I see about 3 guns every day that I'd love to buy off of STB! EV2 Mk4's for $1250!

Have you gone back to Steyr or are you shooting the TM1000 for WFTF? A guy has a really nice looking orange/black LG100 for sale on Brad's site but $2400.... ouch.

-Casey

7. Thepointman

Thepointman Member

Club:
    Casey,

I'm shooting my Steyr at the moment. It's been shooting really well. It was an old 10 meter gun that I converted. Honestly, that's not the best way to go with a Steyr. By the time it's converted, here's more invested that just buying new from the start. However, I know it's done right and everything is working as it should on the gun.

I will be shooting the TM1000 at matches later in the year. It's undergoing some modifications at the moment to help improve it at 12 fpe. I'm looking forward to getting it back and testing some new things that Martin has done. More about that later...

Harold

8. SDplinker

Club:
    Good to hear Harold. I have a P70 FT on the way to me (waiting to be picked up) and I'm excited but I'm keeping my options open. The TM1000 and the Ev2 are on my short list for WFTF. I'd like to try a Steyr but I think they are a bit out of what I could afford. If I ended up with a TM1000 I'd definitely tell him to give it The Pointman treatment for WFTF :)

9. SDplinker

Club:
    Hi Harold,

Any updates or news on your TM1000? I'm so close to getting one but wondering if I should wait on the 12fpe stuff....I know it could always be modified but wondering if I'd just be better off buying new rather than used + modification price.

10. Thepointman

Thepointman Member

Club:

The TM is shooting great. Martin shortened the barrel down to 16" and shortened the hammer stroke considerably. I can see a lot of improvement in the shot cycle now. It's a great gun that's consistent and simple. If you're in the market for one, go for it. I think you'll be pleased with it.

I'll give you more details on mine after I spend more time shooting it.

Harold

11. SDplinker

Club:
    Thanks Harold! Have a used rifle I think I'm gonna get. I will give Martin a ring to see what the mods would run. New barrel shouldn't be too bad but don't know about the hammer. Any idea what the reg pressure is set to? Can't wait to hear your report.

Casey