Target protests, how are they handled?

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by SDplinker, Oct 2, 2012.

1. SDplinker

SDplinker Pellet testing...yawn

Club:
    CASA - California Airgun Shooters Association
    Wanted to find out how target protests are handled at FT and HFT shoots.

This is from the WFTF core rule set:

5.9 Any disputed score must be challenged immediately after a shot is fired. Under no circumstances should the competitor touch the reset cord until the dispute has been resolved. Targets should be checked by the Marshal whose decision is final. Any target found to be defective should be repaired or replaced immediately and may be re-shot by only the shooter who had challenged the shot.

We recently concluded our nationals over here in the US and there were a number of disputes about faulty targets and how protests were handled. I'd be curious to find out how much of an issue this is on your circuit and how you go about it.

Thanks,
    Casey

2. Ceathreamhnan

Ceathreamhnan WHFTA Champion 2013

Club:
    Dunfermline
  3. Shaun

Shaun Moderator Staff Member

Club:
    Harriers
    Hi Casey,

that's pretty much how it is in FT.

If you call the fault and it's faulty then when repaired or replaced you can have another shot at the target. Only in exceptional circumstances would that target be removed from the course. Also, any before you who thought it faulty ... hard luck!! :D

Shaun

4. Willbe

Willbe I Like BIG Hats!

Club:
    Far Coley FTC
    If it falls you're having it, if it doesnt you're not having it :D

5. Suzukiphil

Suzukiphil Member

Club:
    Harriers FTC
    Too right mate, can't stand people shooting a target then calling it as faulty, or misaligned, or some other reason for it not falling over, call it before you shoot or take the O.

6. BOMBER

BOMBER Little French Maid

I think your assumption of people who call targets is floored mate, I have called a few:cool: and a few have had to be replaced or pulled as they where faulty. its part of the sport so i wonder how many people that have a genuine reason to call targets think about your ill choice of words CANT STAND PEOPLE WHO CALL TARGETS.

7. DaveyNZ

DaveyNZ It's spreadsheet time!

Club:
    WAGNZ, NRC, MCASA, NZAFTA
    In NZ my understanding of our policy is that a target can be challenged up until the second person has shot it. After that everyone has to shoot it.... if at the end of the course no one has dropped it then it will be checked and if found to have fault it will be removed. If someone drops it over the course of the day than tough bikkies....

The obvious exception being a target malfunction along the lines of a wrapped chain or broken string (we pull the targets up when we start a lane, not when we finish).

8. berty177

berty177 Judge Diva

Club:
    Nelson FTC
    Calling a target

From my experience.

It is rare I call a target but I do remember calling a target in the worlds in Hungary.
    First target on the first day.
    50 yards ish, the guy I was shooting with hit it over ( using jab heavies), I hit it higher in the kill head centre, it leaned back and came back to its original position.
    I called it and the Marshall wouldn't even go out to check it.
    As you can imagine I wasn't pleased and told him how to do his job as a Marshall and to check the target but he wouldn't.
    James wood head was in the next group to shoot it, he had the same and called it, 2 marshallsLads went out MOVED the target and still wouldn't give James the hit. At rhe time James was the reigning world champ as well.
    It's all great having the worlds in different countries which I do love but for gods sake get your marshalls to understand their jobs..
    If its a faulty target or in my case the target was leaning forward a lot then once its called check it, if it has to be moved or early in the comp you can see its a hit then award that shooter with the hit..
    I've always wanted to get that off my chest....!!!

Mark "berty" Bassett
    Wafta

9. mikewills8904

mikewills8904 walthers last the course

Club:
    oaktree ftc and tondu ftc
    whoo thats telling them , and thats a big chest berty

10. berty177

berty177 Judge Diva

Club:
    Nelson FTC
    Big chest

It is bud
    When I turned around and told the Marshall what I thought of him, he went a funny colour shade of white as well...
    First Kane on the first day, come on it would be different if 50 people shot it and thre was a problem..!

Berty

11. NJR 100

NJR 100 Because I`m AWESIME !!

Club:
    Avon Hawks, Tondu, Oaktree

12. HotShot

HotShot Active Member

Club:
    Redfearns FTC
    At the start of a NEFTA winter league a few years ago I shot a target at 25 yards (40mm kill) and hit it as close to the center as it makes no odds. I shouted the marshal at the exact same time as the people on the lanes either side of me. The targets had been left up after painting and had all frozen up. The marshals had to check the other targets as well and found the targets in exposed places had all frozen up.

How could I have called that before taking the shot?

13. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers

14. DaveyNZ

DaveyNZ It's spreadsheet time!

Club:
    WAGNZ, NRC, MCASA, NZAFTA
    That's a bit of a different scenario Si and you know it.... that kind of thing gets checked by the course marshalls and builders before hand. If a target is not square on or doesn't have enough paddle to cover gaps like that in the case of vertical angles then the course builders have not done a great job imho...

and don't forget we have a fine line to walk where a 12ft/lb must be able to knock a target over at 55 but they must also be able to withstand 28ft/lb faceplate hits on the close targets! Target tuning, at least at my club is done insanely carefully. Never had one of our targets fall on a miss or stay up on a hit yet... of course now I'm opening myself up to the graces of Murphy's law :p

Of course as we move to standardise to Core Rules this offseason we'll bring our policies in line, so that issue of our challenging process should be moot come 2014 as it will be the Core Rules policy — and the high-power NZ/ AUS/ US/ Other shooters will be on a completely different course anyway.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  15. greyskullnz

greyskullnz Non member

16. sandandy

sandandy New Member

Club:
    waikato
    x2 ill take the spot :):)

17. greyskullnz

greyskullnz Non member

Cool.

Stay up to date through Brian then. He's your clubs rep.

Howz your FT going up there? See you at Magons' for Nationals.

GS

18. sandandy

sandandy New Member

Club:
    waikato
    All good thanks, me gun is really shooting well its just the shooter thats the problem :D:D:D
    Need loads and loads of practice but even if not to Brians level I will look forward to the nationals and shooting with all you guys. Its cool just being 1 1/2 hr away not to far to go.
    hope to see you there.:)
    Regards Andy