Target finder - legal?

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by Adam, Nov 23, 2012.

1. Adam

Adam Active Member

Club:
    Redfearns & the UBC
    I've got a mini Docter-style red dot sight which came with a pistol I bought a while back and I don't really have a use for it. It's quite dinky, only about 2" long, and looks a lot like this

I was thinking of mounting it on the top of my scope and zeroing it in as a target finder. :D
    Would it be legal? I can only find reference in the BFTA rules to "No separate device, designed specifically for range-finding may be used." and this is not for range-finding.

I don't have a big problem finding targets; once in a while in a dark woodland course I might waste a few seconds trying to find one. It's more for the hell of it really, but only if I can find a cheap 30mm tube to weaver adaptor.

2. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    If that's what it says, that's what it says. Remember this isn't the BFTA forum and Shaun Shore is probably first point of call.

I know one shooter who has a little V on the end of his scope cover which lines up with a nipple on his top turret, which helps line rifle up with target before putting eye to scope ;). I think it may be opening a can of worms though. If the mob feel that people are gaining an advantage in say the showdown by using one and then the clock starting only when eye goes to scope (and not the red dot) then there'll be fun and games i'm sure.

Question is, with subtle yet deliberate devices, or undeliberate devices to determine natural point of aim before eye goes to scope, how will a rule be formed?

I know I do as much work as I can under pressure before eye starts the clock... I haven't made something as an attachment but then if you drill a hole in your scope cap then aren't we on the way when that gets flipped up? I know someone who was doing it with a 50ft adapter, but found out it wasn't lined up right when flipped up, so he was always to the left of the target :D

3. Adam

Adam Active Member

Club:
    Redfearns & the UBC
    Indeed, there are any number of ways to achieve the same end, and I know the shooter and device of whom you speak ;)

I've sometimes used the scope crosshair superimposed with the image from the open eye, in the same manner as with the old SinglePoint sight. It tends to line up somewhere between a foot left and a foot above target, but it's hit and miss.

It never crossed my mind about any advantage gained before eye goes to scope, but then I've never shot the Showdown :D

4. TOOL

TOOL Independent FT Pumper

Humber Bridge , Barrow-on-Humber in Bomber County
    Club:
    EFTA England
    I'm looking at mounting a sprout stalk on my Butler Creek and using it as an additional marker to locate targets,but I'm unsure as the greenery may blend in with the greenery of the course.

I know our raven headed bog trotting Irish Pupmaster once was close to mounting a lolly stick off his March thingy with that dodgy reticle too locate targets.

Just a thought.

TTFN Pilchards

5. Tench

Tench WHFTA World Champion 2016.

Adam, I sold a pistol several years ago with one of those sights on and wished i had kept it, i was looking for another one now for another pistol i am putting together, if you dont use it let me know.

Simon.

6. villiers

villiers Self appointed antipimp

Club:
    Bisley
    don't see a problem

Stop watch to start with eye to scope or secondary sighting device?
    I did see a couple of people in Norway with a plain piece of tube mounted above there scope to look through to find the target.:confused:

7. NJR 100

NJR 100 Because I`m AWESIME !!

Club:
    Avon Hawks, Tondu, Oaktree
    there were shooters using these red dot things in the Worlds in norway.

Gilly still beat them:)

8. villiers

Club:
    Bisley
    In the core rules
    1.3 Sights. Any form of sighting system may be used with the exception of laser sights. No
    built-in or separate laser range finding device may be used.

So the little red dot things are on the Illegal side.
    Most red dots at 50m are the size of a dinner plate any way.
    I could use the red dot for range finding with my crosshair at a number of ranges.

9. TOOL

Club:
    EFTA England
    Donald my little fluffy Gimp.

Maybe a red dot will enhance the tightness of your groups ? If it's a big red dot anyway !

10. paul4be

paul4be Why do I bother????????

Club:
    Darlington RA
    But a red dot sight is not a laser?????????? They are 2 completely different things.

11. TOOL

Club:
    EFTA England
    I've just eaten a Hob Nob & half of it's fell in my mash :mad:

12. Adam

Adam Active Member

Club:
    Redfearns & the UBC
    This is a red dot sight, it doesn't project a dot on the target like a laser.

The idea is only for getting the scope pointing at the target, so the dot size is irrelevant.

You could only use it for rangefinding if you could be certain the rifle hadn't shifted a jot while moving your eye into position on the scope. Personally I wouldn't trust it for that. I doubt anyone could use it to tell them anything worthwhile about the range where it really matters; it wouldn't be precise enough about where the dot was pointing at that range.

13. saddler

saddler Phil Gee

Club:
    Millride
    Serves you right for eating your pudding before your main course

14. villiers

Club:
    Bisley
    yes you are correct was thinking laser beam type thing have it zeroed at 50 yards , range as per the norm and dial to 50 yards if it don't match up your ranging is incorrect.
    As i said i don't see a problem.
    Sorry to hear of you Hob Nob problem

15. Jamesy

Jamesy Weerach ninja

Club:
    Pontefract ARC.
    I thought Tool had a problem with one of his knackers... not his nob?:confused:

16. AIRFIX GILLY

AIRFIX GILLY WFTA World Champion 2012

Club:
    Castle
    nutter??

Tool as definetely got a problem:rolleyes: we should start a thread asking how big a problem he got. 1 to 10 on the nutter scale.:confused:

17. luddite

luddite I Love HFT

PHP:
    Living up to his user name ?:D

18. KeithG

KeithG New Member

I'd reckon between 8 and 11 depending on temperature shift