Talk to me about Steyr trigger blades, please..

Discussion in 'Steyr' started by cloverleaf, Jan 31, 2019.

1. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Active Member

While I always used to be a staunch believer in having the trigger blade set square to the length of the gun (so that in theory any force is applied totally rearward, with no lateral bias) I've recently experienced the joys that a properly wonky trigger blade setting can bring.

It seems that Steyr currently offer three styles of trigger blade for their guns. The budget fixed type (only adjustable for lateral "swing" about its mount, as fitted to the LP2 and Hunting 5:

[​IMG]

The multi-adjustable item as fitted to the LP10 and LP50 (sorry for the crap pic!):

[​IMG]

..and the multi-adjustable item fitted to the LG110:

[​IMG]

The more basic top one's obviously out as it offers limited adjustment, while the LG unit is functionally good but I'm not overly sold on the plastic or use of disc springs (although I suppose this unit does offer an additional degree of freedom to the blade). Of the lot I find myself drawn to the LP10/LP50 unit as it offers (IMO) adiquate adjustment and looks the nicest.

Is there any reason why these blades might not be interchangeable - size, blade position, reach, fit, mounting rail size etc?

Would welcome any thoughts anyone might have - ta ;)

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
  2. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Pretty sure I’ve had the middle blade on my Steyr at some point. Might have even come with it. From memory it doesn’t angle around that much.

What I’m not keen on is the plastic rail
    they grip onto. While the trigger won’t move back and you can swing the posts because it won’t clamp tight enough.

cloverleaf likes this.
  3. suds

suds Senior member

Club:
    Wendover ARC
    I use the TEC-HRO on my Steyr, Intershoot stock them, they are great.

cloverleaf, sportsmatch and SpeckleD like this.
  4. OxfordChris

OxfordChris New Member

Club:
    NOFTC
    The middle one certainly fits - there's a Challenge for sale in a shop near me that has one fitted. Very comfortable in the finger, but as Rob says, it doesn't offer much in the way of angle.

Personally, on mine, I went to Rowan Engineering for a curved metal trigger blade. Fits my finger really well. Can be found, along with the rest of their Steyr offerings, on the following: Rowan Engineering As they're fairly local to me, I was able to have a look before buying.

Mind you, down the club, I have shot someone's rifle which had a Tec-Hro on it and that was really nice too... plenty of things to choose from!

cloverleaf likes this.
  5. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Active Member

Cheers guys - appreciate the input!

Thanks Rob - this appears to be the later alternative to the similar (but more angular) blade I have on my LP50, which has I'd guess around 15 degrees cant about the vertical; any more and it would require dropping down the post to prevent it fouling though. Are you referring to the rail on the gun being plastic? I thought they were ally!

Thanks for the recommendation - not sure as I can stretch to one though tbh as £40-odd for the Steyr unit sticks in my throat :eek:

Ta - I did wonder if some LG / Challenge models were fitted with these shoes; however I can't find any images that support this. Some examples of earlier LG110 sporters with the most basic fixed blade, but note with the adjustable one found on the pistols. The apparent use of the fixed blade on all guns at some point sort of confirms that the mounting system is universal anyway, which is good.

Thanks for the thought on the Rowan item - I know their products are good quality and they're a thoroughly decent pair of blokes, however if paying their prices I think I'd rather go for the Steyr LG unit and get a bit more adjustability into the bargain as I have found the ability to rotate the blade about the gun's longitudinal axis quite useful on the LG110.

As it stands I think the standard LG110 unit is looking like the most likely contender from the Steyr stable, although I've also been offered something a bit left of the field which I'm tempted by tbh - will give it some thought!

6. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    I have a mec somewhere. Can’t remember the issue with that. Might have been rail clamp tightness again.

cloverleaf likes this.
  7. frank

frank Reactive Member

Club:
    lincs hft
    I use a mec contact 2 and have had no issues with it, a very nice trigger

cloverleaf likes this.
  8. Mr Blonde

Mr Blonde Active Member

Cant stand the LG110 multi adjust trigger. Too much going on, the washers are a crap design.

I use an Anschütz trigger shoe.

9. Mr Blonde

Mr Blonde Active Member

Quick note...

The washers on the multi adjust trigger are bellview washers the same as you find in the Steyr reg!

10. bigwalk

bigwalk Member

348F5256-686B-49B6-A916-F8180CF05284.jpeg Or you could have the solid gold one made by harry preston

11. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Active Member

Aesthetically I'm not a huge fan and the disc springs do seem a bit of a bodge.. that said it does offer a lot of adjustment and once set does the job nicely - couldn't really ask for any more tbh!

Indeed... if a bit smaller :p

As if the cost of a lot of the options wasn't shocking enough as it is :eek:

Mr Blonde likes this.
  12. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Active Member

Thanks to @shaun eustace I now have this nice SE sensitive blade hanging off the rifle:

SMALL_IMG_8625a.jpg

SMALL_IMG_8629a.jpg

It took forever to setup thanks to its infinite adjustablility through at least a billion degrees of freedom, restricted access to the locking grub screws and perculiarites of the rifle; however it's finally in the "right" place (for now at least!) and it feels a lot nicer than the stock item. The blade has been angled to better fit my finger where it naturally falls and also offset to one side a little to help take up some of the excessive trigger reach present on the rifle.

I did try positioning the blade further forward but this moved it even further from the pivot point of the trigger - making the pull weight noticeably higher and also causing issues with my trigger finger contacting the stock during release, which was irritating.

Looking forward to trying it out tomorrow night :)

subaru swift, pbrown and garym like this.
  13. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Active Member

All was well behaved last night; as one might expect the rifle shot as well as it always does but trigger finger position was more comfortable and consistant.

In use the unit is excellent and few niggles aside (one or two marks on the finish and the fun involved in setting it up) I'm very pleased with my upgrade - thanks again Shaun :)