Talk to me about Front Rests

Discussion in 'Benchrest' started by NeilM, Nov 28, 2018.

1. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Mendip & Shebbear
    What rests do you use and why?

Also, what if you have to carry your kit to a range that is 80 yards down a steep hill... and more importantly, back up again at the end of the day.

Also, not all newbies to the sport want / can afford to lash out more money on a rest than the price of a new S400.

2. paul.w

paul.w Member

Club:
    Mad, lea Valley
    Hi Neil iv got now a Seb coaxial, Nice and small. Before that I had a lab jack off ebay. Have a look. Very small, light and easy to lug around. The only reason iv got the Seb is it came with the weaver scope deal.. And I can lock it up at the club.

3. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Mendip & Shebbear
    I have a lab jack on order, just to get things started at the club.

It is cheap enough and looks robust enough to mean I can leave it in the hut for use by me and others.

4. mrgeoff

mrgeoff Active Member

Club:
    Broadlands / SOKE
    Caldwell rock junior. Cheap at optics warehouse if the deal is still on.
    Nice and robust and all you need for NSRA rules if you change the platform to a piece of covered wood.

NeilM likes this.
  5. C.Eaton

C.Eaton Confirmed Anschutz Nut...

Club:
    Springfield/ TEGC/ETL
    I have a lab jack at home that will be a Christmas project if I can get it rigid enough.
    In the full up position it is rigid, but anywhere below this there is a little play in the sliders, but I think I can work a locking system to get it rigid at any height.
    Definitely needs screwing to a larger base for stability, the top platform just needs some wood.

It's very compact when fully retracted so is ideal as a portable option.
    When I've finished mine I'll post some pics.

At my first .22 BR last Sunday I used a Club plastic front rest with a worm type height adjustment and it was not ideal as it simply wasn't steady enough.
    Still, it was good fun....;)

NeilM likes this.
  6. paul.w

paul.w Member

Club:
    Mad, lea Valley
    Iv got the 6 inch Sq lab jack. 1543429441524524176912.jpg

C.Eaton likes this.
  7. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Mendip & Shebbear
    That's what I have on its way... minus the very top part.

8. Paul_T

Paul_T Member

I also use the Rock jnr but with a wider front bag that fits a 2" wide plate.
    The cast iron base makes it very stable and robust. Not the lightest think to lug around mind you.

Paul

9. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Mendip & Shebbear
    OK, this is looking encouraging, so far only Paul W uses a fancy pants SEB rest, but that's only because he found a monster deal.... gotta love a canny shopper.

I know the guys at Optics Warehouse very well and spent some time there the other day opening boxes and looking at rests, and certainly the Caldwell rests will do the job, but could be improved with some work, which is what you are paying for with more expensive rests. What is clear here is that a lot of people use a relatively simple front rest, so from a club point of view I can experiment with the lab lift, or with a scissor jack, either of those could be left at the club for use by the other BR shooters (when I recruit some) and will do the job.

10. paul.w

paul.w Member

Club:
    Mad, lea Valley
    There's a front rest on ebay. 233024130511 cicognani. Been modified. And yes Neil it was a bloody good deal. And iv shot bad ever since !!!

11. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Mendip & Shebbear
    Well, my lab lift arrived from 'Manchester' and I am really very pleasantly surprised, it is both heavier and much sturdier than expected, so as soon as I get the chance I will take to the zero range and give it a go.

Now, about a bag rest for the back......

12. rmwesley

rmwesley New Member

I think I know the answer to this already, but will I be massively disadvantaged at benchrest using a bipod for a front rest?

13. C.Eaton

Club:
    Springfield/ TEGC/ETL
    Not really, we have shooters at out Club who shoot very well off bipods, you just have to make sure it's up to the job as a cheapie will never be good if you're sticking it on a heavy target rifle.

rmwesley likes this.
  14. Paul_T

Paul_T Member

If you want to shoot comps you might want to check the rules. I know the NSRA comps don't allow bipods others might. But if it's just for fun crack on I used to shoot off a bipod and it was fine.

rmwesley likes this.
  15. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Mendip & Shebbear
    So, I've been looking at other rests... as ya do. Not too many that I can find over here, but what a huge variety in America and what a range in price from under £200 for a simple Sinclair up to £1200 plus of a Farley or a Finite.

I can see where the cost is, let's face it precision engineering ain't cheap, but some of these rests require hard core investment... not that shooters don't spend, you only have to look around an FT shoot and count the number of £2500 plus scopes visible, but beginner / mid range rests certainly seem to be a rarity.

16. C.Eaton

Club:
    Springfield/ TEGC/ETL
    Sounds like a little pet project in that garage workshop of yours Neil. What timing with your impending retirement....;)

17. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Mendip & Shebbear
    Sadly I don't have the machines or the skills Colin. My time will be spent on the rifles, the rests I will have to buy.

18. Waldo

Waldo Active Member

Club:
    B O A C, B R P C ,
    If you want to make your eyes water, have a look on the Cicognani website !!

19. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Mendip & Shebbear
    I already did, and Dolphin and Farley and PMA, and, and , and....

20. C.Eaton

Club:
    Springfield/ TEGC/ETL
    I’m a bit partial to the SEB range myself. Haven’t tried one but I’ve seen a couple of the ‘lightweight’ ones in use at Bisley being used for F Class as they seem pretty sturdy.
    Back in reality, I’m hoping to make a start on my lab-rest project today. Main critea is stability and compactness, when finished I’ll see if I can post a few photos in use/travelling.