SWEFTA League 6 - Shebbear

Discussion in 'Calender Events' started by TonyF, Jan 23, 2011.

1. TonyF

TonyF SWEFTA FT Champion 2006

Club:
    Mendip, East Devon, Avon Hawks and Oaktree.
    SWEFTA League 6 - Shebbear

2. rich

rich Active Member

We'll be open for business from about 0830 and the kitchen will have tea and coffee and bacon rolls on the go.

Please remember that there is no shooting on our ground, even zeroing, until 0900. The private lane to the side of the zero range is used by a lady who walks her dogs every morning; she is gone by 0900 and then we are clear to shoot. So no early starts to try to cheat the wind..........!

Plenty of parking available in the field. Please don't drive over the wildlife corridor that divides the car park from the courses, this is the swathe of grass deliberately left long for the small creatures and insects.

If you haven't been here before, please see the website http://www.shebbearshooters.co.uk for map and directions.

3. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Have a good one guys :)

4. rich

rich Active Member

Weather forecast isn't perfect, so we've designed the course layout to give us the option before the shoot commences to spend ten minutes making some quick changes to make it a bit easier, if that makes sense. We'd rather folk went home with a sensible score. Woe betide anyone who misses the 12 yard stander. :shot:

That decision will be made at about 0830 on Sunday morning, while the early arrivals are tucking into their bacon rolls and steaming tea and coffee.

By popular demand, Pat and Brenda have put their spicy sausage casserole on the lunch menu again, and there will be baked jacket spuds for any vegetarians.

Satnav slaves, enter EX21 5HH.

Don't forget to have a go at the running rat sideshoot. :)

5. NJR 100

NJR 100 Because I`m AWESIME !!

Club:
    Avon Hawks, Tondu, Oaktree
    hft course too rich?

6. rich

rich Active Member

Nah, our HFT is too easy anyway. :eek:

7. NJR 100

Club:
    Oh bugger. I was rather looking forward to having a go at a shorter Hft range this time.

8. RobF

Club:
    See you there tomorrow :)

9. RobF

Club:
    Cheers to the Shebbear crew for a nice pleasant shoot, in the howling wind and pouring rain :D. Thanks to Si for partnering, hope I kept you entertained with the outrageous flukes, but I think you won the skill contest even though the scores won't reflect that...

Lane 20 was the one that i'll remember for a while, almost off the diamond plate at 40yds for the reducer, nearly out of field of view for the longer one...

Just about drying out... :D

10. dae2830

dae2830 Member

Thanks to Rich and everybody who got shoot ready,especially kitchen staff for supplying alot of hot drinks.:)Unbelivable weather.Still there were lots of people still smiling.Just goes to show how mad we all are:D

11. rich

rich Active Member

Well, yes, it was one of those horrible days when the showers came in every few minutes, you could see them on the horizon and you knew that you had maybe 2 or 3 minutes to finish the lane and dive for cover, or pretend to be waterproof and brave it out. :D

RobF was decent enough to admit that his first two shots fluked a hit; in fact on the second one there was barely any sign of lead spatter on the paddle so one or two of us came to the conclusion that the target just capitulated out of fear or respect..... :D

A goodly handful of people gave many hours this week in preparing the ground so I'll pass on your collective thanks to them all, it will be appreciated. The canteen staff earned a round of applause, it seems the notion of endless free tea and coffee refills was popular with everyone so that is a sticker. ALL THE SPICY SAUSAGE CASSEROLE went, not even enough left over for yours truly's supper. :(

Never mind, I'l still get the scores out ASAP. :)

The last five lanes proved to be the good card destroyers, and it's clear from the scorecards that several came a cropper on this wilder part of the course.

12. rich

rich Active Member

I meant to add, congratulations to the four qualifiers for the SWEFTA Showdown from this round. Eight places left.

STAMP, Jeremy East Devon
    COOLING, Dave South Dorset
    MANLEY, Ken South Devon
    GLOVER, Chris Shebbear

13. NJR 100

Club:
    I dont believe anyone has ever aimed at the kill

Thanks to the Shebbear crew for another great day.

Food and hospitality second to none and very much so appreciated, especially something hot to eat on such a day.

the course:eek: Would have come off much happier if it had been 30 shots, that last heavey downpour destroyed my will to kill lol. Think i only hit about 3 of the last 10 targets (T10 -19)

No, really I knew i was up against it when Rob(Splitter)F got up from his first lane. Take it Walther are sponsored by Hartleys Jam now? :D
    lol, I will mention your honesty on that rat target, think it was the kneeler in lane 2. Very good of you to admist the miss, even though it fell dow lol. When its your day its your day :D

Thanks for the company, you had some great long range shots in that round today and i think the series is all but yours now? Well done.

So, my first Shebbear trip was Gales, today hurricanes. Whats instore fopr the showdown:D

Looking forward to the showdown.

Thanks once again.

14. rich

rich Active Member

Thanks Simon for the kind words. We do try to make it worth the effort to come here.

Your last ten targets, 11 to 20. X X 0 X X X 0 0 0 0.

You had 3 out of 4 standers and 4 out of 4 kneelers. That was the best performance of anyone there. Your nemesis was the longer shots; we had 8 targets placed at 50 yards or more and you had just 2 of them.

Today wasn't a hurricane. We didn't quite lose the marquee so it couldn't have been. :D I think the difficulty today stemmed from gusts blowing us off aim at the crucial moment, and if you're blown off aim it hardly matters how far away the target is.

Number 29, the high target on the boom at about 9 yards, that was going to be a 14mm reducer but I took pity and opened it up to 26mm just before the shoot started, and guess what only six people missed it.

15. NJR 100

Club:
    Lol, how to put a man down

"You had 3 out of 4 standers and 4 out of 4 kneelers. That was the best performance of anyone there."

Wish i could do it at gp lol

Yes, i struggled on the long ones and really went into poke and hope mode. Not much hope today!
    RobF shot very well on the long ones.

Funny thing is, well not really as i have a heavey gun and in full Ft kit i am over 20 stone, I did not loose many targets for gusts. I was fairly steady in aiming at the wrong place on the long ones lol.

Yes, i worked hard for my standers and kneelers today and the stander i missed was entielry due to the wind lifting the gun above the kill as i shot.

Reducers I thaught were spot on today, ok the 40 ish yard one (T39) caught me out biut it was the first time i had shot past the caravan and it was agood range. Would like to see 25 ml kills out to 40 yards in gp, but perhaps not on such windy days. Fair play, Rob nailed the pair there though.

Thanks again, will return and knock SplitterF out of the showdown in september lol :D

16. RobF

Club:
    Yep, I knew Simon was shooting well from lane one (well lane 10 for us)... I bracketed the wind on the plinkling range and it's highest point and it's lowest... at lowest it was taking nothing, on highest it was taking 3" at 55... or 1/2 way between crosshair and edge of view... i stuck that on ever target until the caravan where I altered it shy and then went to 3/4 across for the last two... two targets out of the first two fell to outrageous splits, but i lost one due to a string snagged over the closest target which persuaded me it was the first one... ironic seeing as rich had told me there were numbers on the targets, but the march won't see them on 60x and i told him i would cross shoot... missed it on 2nd attempt. The rat on lane one fell to what seemed to be a hit about 2" off the kill, but i suppose it could have been a bounce off a split, i was blown clear off position so it was difficult to tell. That happened on a stander out the back, the one I had to shoot again, and the other one out the back where the wind fell and i just took the shot out of shock... But I knew i'd had my luck and Simon hadn't... that was probably the difference between us... Simon's positionals were excellent, my long ones probably made up for that... but on the last lane i took the reducer on close to edge of plate and it went into the top of kill...it was a guess under a bluster that would have seen a miss 5mm left or right. Pity the lottery was the day before!

good to see everyone giving it their all despite the conditions... well done to the South Dorset team for punching in a good team score...

I think i got back, managed to keep awake during top gear then fell into coma... absolutely knackered!

Scores here thanks to Rich :)

Attached Files:

17. RobF

Club:
    Oh forgot to say, well done to Jimmer with that springer, and to Dave with the parachute... fine shooting... but i think anyone who kept their head up in that onslaught did well...

can we have some pleasant sun and gentle breeze for the next one please? :D

18. Gibbs

Gibbs New Member

Yes, a very enjoyable shoot despite the weather!
    Well done to Rob for your 31 and well done to Jeremy for beating me with a springer!
    The rain and wind made it very challenging and I had to laugh when we jumped in the caravan to shelter from the latest downpour, only to find the skylight missing! I think we got just as wet inside it as we would have outside.
    And thanks to Rich and everyone else who prepared the shoot and the food, it was a pleasure.

Atb

Alec.

19. RobF

Club:
    Yes, forgot to say thanks for the food and stats... many thanks for that... top hosts as ever at Shebbear :)

20. RobF

Club:
    Speaking of stats... will you be doing one of your "who hit what" things Rich? Always makes interesting reading...