1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stripping and Staining a Pro Target Stock - Help Please

Discussion in 'Air Arms' started by JamFish, May 21, 2009.

1. JamFish

JamFish New Member

Hi all,

I'm after some advice about stripping the lacquer from Kate's original Laminate PT stock and then staining and re lacquering it in contrasting colours as the Gary Cane example below:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...authkey=Gv1sRgCMfE2ezw0fSeqgE&feat=directlink

I am assuming I can not use a nitromorse type product to remove the original lacquer as this would attack the glue holding the laminate togeher?

Can anyone recomend a brand/supplier of coloured wood stain for this sort of job?

Can I then seal it with a half dozen coats of car type spray lacquer if I rub down between coats??

Thanks

Jamie

2. raygun

raygun Non member

I was under the impression that the wood was stained different colours before it was glued into a laminate.

You then get the various colours coming to the fore as the stock is shaped. I don't think you can stain as a re-finish.

ATB
    Ray.

3. JamFish

JamFish New Member

If thats the case I'll be sending it to hydro graphincs!

Thanks

4. Sam Vimes

Sam Vimes New Member

Jamie,
    as Ray says, laminate needs to be dyed in the colours you want before it's glued together in sheets. You can do a partial job on it and change the overall colour but you won't get massively contrasting colours. I stripped my former PT stock with Nitromors and darkened it with alkanet oil. I then gave it a plain oil finish. The results were pretty damned good. I also did similar to the orange/yellow Steyr laminate bits. No big fan of orange/yellow but with common or garden woodstain, it now looks two tone dark wood. Much more understated.

Chris

5. JamFish

JamFish New Member

Thanks for all the helpful advice.

Whatever finish we're going to strip off the original lacquer. How did you do your's Chris? I remember how good your stock looked mate so we might be copying your idea for the finish.

But.......Kate still likes the idea of an all over colour stain.

Whatever happens I'll post the progress

Thanks

6. Sam Vimes

Sam Vimes New Member

Jamie,
    it was stripped with nitromors, a paint scraper and a stiff brush. The stock was then sanded until a smooth finish was achieved.

7. JamFish

JamFish New Member

I'll break out the nitromorse then!

Thanks for the advice one and all.

One more question though:

Can anyone recomend where I can get my PT reblued, or even chromed?

Thanks
    Jamie