Stock Measurement Help

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by UPINSMOKE, Jan 10, 2014.

1. UPINSMOKE

UPINSMOKE New Member

Hi I am having a stock made for my HW100kt I will be using it for HFT and was wondering if anyone could help with stock measurement to fit me. Is there any formula I can follow to calculate the length of stock I will need.

Any help appreciated thanks

2. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Average

I am told the average length of pull is 13 and a half inches ??? HOLLY:)

3. Brian.Samson

Brian.Samson Allowed in Sales Staff Member

Club:
    Pontefract, Doncaster Airgun Range
    There probably is a rule of thumb measurement somewhere if you google for it, but personally I wouldn't bother.

Shoulder your existing rifle / stock - is it too long, too short, just right? and base your measurement on that.

If you get the measurement wrong, it's not the end of the world, if it's too short - fit a thicker butt pad or fit a spacer. If it's too long you might need to cut a bit of stock off. Fitting a spacer/different butt pad is less traumatic than cutting your new stock so I'd say it's better to be too short than too long.

13 ½-14 inches is a good starting point I'd say.

4. DEAN C.

DEAN C. Steyr Convert

Club:
    Emley Moor FTC
    The only rule of thumb that I have heard about is the shotgun one where you measure the inside of your forearm to the trigger finger, but this does not work for air rifles(not with my arms anyway, and I shoot a lot longer stock with my shotguns than I do with air rifles), and I think the angle of the pistol grip on the stock makes a big difference too, as your hand is moved further forward with an upright target grip.
    As Brian says shoulder a gun and try it, but don't forget to wear whatever jacket you would normally wear when shooting. They always feel too short when trying in the house though, so learn to relax and not pull it in too tight when checking for fit.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
  5. Lofty

Lofty Member

Club:
    Iceni
    I've always used the same rule of thumb for stock length of pull as described by Dean all I would say on that is that the measurement from the crook of the elbow along the forearm to the trigger finger is to the pad of the finger as if it were on the trigger blade i.e. the finger is curved.

An issue I used to find though with adding spacers to the butt of a 'standard' stock is that the cheek piece then ends up too far forward on some stocks for a comfortable cheek to stock fit, however this may only apply to me as the LOP I need to have on my stocks is 17 1/2 inches some 3 1/2 more than standard.

Thus I had my last stock custom made to measure by 'GinB' and they did it with the longer LOP and more importantly with a correctly positioned cheek piece. Apparently it's the longest stock that they have ever made !. They also made the pistol grip to my hand measurement so the whole tthing fits like a glove. All done via e-mail as well considering they are based in Bali.

The downside to this of course is that the stock basically fits me and others who have tried it do struggle with the LOP.

As with any made to measure stock selling it on afterwards may be a problem.

HTH.
    Lofty

6. 5teve L

5teve L STOP ! HAMMER TIME !

Club:
    The Oaks & Horsham hawks
    Like Lofty my LOP is 17", but I could live with a slightly shorter stock TBH, best thing to do is prob what Brian suggest & measure your set up if it feels right, if it doesn't go an inch or so either way to suit.

7. dutoitk

dutoitk Member

8. Rutty

Rutty New Member

You are going to have to compromise. The objective is to have the wrist in a straight line to the trigger hand, the hand in a comfortable position on the stock allowing the trigger finger to be correctly positioned on the blade. The crook of the arm method works very well, for standing only. For kneeling you require a shorter butt and for prone a shorter one still. Take a look at the slide show here. The variation between prone and kneeling can be quite small, but the extended length for standing is fairly easy to see.

There is no formula or easy way of working out the length required for prone or kneeling. It has to be done by experiment and observation.

Rutty

9. UPINSMOKE

UPINSMOKE New Member

I would like to thank you all for all your input to my query. All very useful in formation from you all. I have now managed to work out the measurements I need for the new stock.

This is what a forum is all about helping each other THANKS:D:)