Stock Finishing

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by killen, May 13, 2019.

1. killen

killen Senior Member

Club:
    Millride
    Any advice out there on refinishing a wooden stock. I have bought a rifle with a GIMB stock and the finish is well....less than perfect.
    I am torn between stripping the existing stuff off or just rubbing it down and applying a new finish over the flattened surface.
    I have finished a stock with Danish Oil before, but this time I would prefer to have the high gloss finish as I seem to see on most stocks. This finish looks like thick clear lacquer. I wonder is there anything anyone can recommend, which can be applied by spray can. I'm thinking clear cellulose lacquer as in a car spray can, but I'm not sure how durable this would be.
    I think there is a also a lacquer that can be applied to wood via cotton wool pads and lots of rubbing.

2. tillygti6

tillygti6 Tilly's gun stocks

The only advice I can give here... strip it right back to bare wood and start fresh.
    You never know exactly what has been put on over the years...

The laquer finish they left factory in, is nasty... wear a mask...

DaveRob likes this.
  3. vangard

vangard Member

Club:
    Cambridge HFT and Lea Valley airgun club
    Most people who want a high gloss finish use Tru oil but it's a lot of work rubbing down.
    I have used cellulose on a stock after spraying it with car paint and it is very hard wearing indeed.
    Depends what type of look you are going for.

4. mrgeoff

mrgeoff Active Member

Club:
    Broadlands / SOKE
    Can get a fairly natural gloss finish with danish, then briwax applied with 0000 wire wool.

5. killen

killen Senior Member

Club:
    Millride
    Tried it before but want a lacquer or similar high gloss finish.

6. Air Armed

Air Armed Team AJP

Club:
    Castle FTC
    Tru Oil Dave, worth all the effort in the end

Darron likes this.
  7. Fly fisher

Fly fisher New Member

Club:
    Kent Woodsmen
    If you rush it and the result is poor you will regret it. Over the years I have restored many stocks and the result has always been pleasing and durable. I suggest stripping off all the old finish, wet and then dry the stock and use 0000 steel wool or very fine abrasive paper to flatten off the raised grain. Apply Tru Oil according to the supplied instructions or consult YouTube. If you take your time doing this, the result will be great. Make a project out of this and enjoy it and good luck!

killen likes this.
  8. DaveRob

DaveRob Member

Club:
    York FT Club
    Tru Oil is indeed a lovely finish... look at all the luthiers using it to produce hi gloss finishes on instruments and really bring out the detail in woodgrain. I finished my TX200 stock in tru oil and I could have gone really glossy but was torn between a trad satin look and mirror gloss so knocked it back just a little in the end... but as to durable, well without care it does mark / scratch etc so take care. As to working with it.... its ALL preparation.... you will need hours to get the finish you are looking for, it took me 3 days prep before I started to apply the oil!!! rubbing down, raising grain, filling grain, repeat... You will need grades of abrasives from 200 to 2000, and at least an hour a night every night for a month. The process is well detailed on you tube and 'google' is your friend with many documents detailing the process. If you want a short cut you could use 2 pack lacquer over an epoxy base and you would get mirror gloss with ding proofing built in... but personally I didn't want the hassle of dealing with the nasty chems in my house which is where I did the work and my garage wasn't warm enough to work with amine resins when I did mine. To be honest I found the whole process very therapeutic and the resulting finish after a month of work well worth it. I viewed the difference between epoxy and lacquer vs tru oil like the difference between downloaded music and analog vynil ... yes the lacquer is good but it never has the warmth of an oil finish... and make one mistake with epoxy or lacquer and you will be wishing you had taken the month of evenings with oil ... make a mistake with tru oil and correcting it might only be another 3 or 4 hours work.... hope this helps.... DaveR

Attached Files:

killen likes this.
  9. chrisc

chrisc Lucky git

Club:
    Emley Moor
    Blimey, i stripped back a lacquered Ginb stock a few years ago and it took 8 hours. I did it by hand as i'd heard that using nitromoors could lift the grain too much. I finished with CCL oil and the stock was stunning and hard wearing. I've never used tru oil but have had great results with both CCL and Danish oil.

Basically, if you want a great finish take your time.

killen and DaveRob like this.
  10. killen

killen Senior Member

Club:
    Millride
    Think I am going down the True Oil route, but one question? What do the likes of Warren Edwards etc (stock makers) use as his stocks are very well finished but I cant believe he can afford to spend days on the finish.

11. killen

killen Senior Member

Club:
    Millride
    All sorted now. Thanks for the advice.