Stock depth for shooting.

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by AndyIoW, May 31, 2011.

1. AndyIoW

AndyIoW Member

I was asked a question yesterday at my that I honestly could not fully answer.

UKAHFT rules state that the stock depth between barrel centre to the lowest point in front of the trigger (ie hamster) is 150mm. The question was asked about FT events/rifles is there a similar limit as the UKAHFT.

I do not believe that there is but am hoping that I could get clarification on that from the estemmed members of this forum.

Many thanks.

2. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    No limit I am aware of but other countries have a max depth,
    only issue with a really deep hamster is toughing/resting on the leg in kneeling positionm which is illegal :eek:

3. NJR 100

NJR 100 Because I`m AWESIME !!

Club:
    Avon Hawks, Tondu, Oaktree
    Dpnt suppose you can find a photo of this happening?

4. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    There is no restriction Andy, but it becomes problematic because it makes the rifle more tippy/flippy as the CofG goes further up away from the support/pivot point... but sometimes it's necessary to a certain degree. The other option is keep the fore-end shallow and raise the scope... sometimes you have to do both.

You will tend to find the more flexible shooters can use a shallower stock than the less flexible... certainly there seems to be a correlation between the ability to get the knee into the chest with ease and the distance between scope and bottom of fore-end.

Kneeling tends to favour a deeper fore-end, sitting as well, but standing tends to be better with less... especially when combined with butt movement up and down.

5. rich

rich Active Member

We have a shooter with impaired mobility and he shoots with a hamster about 300mm below the stock.

6. AndyIoW

AndyIoW Member

I quite agree being of the 'larger' build :rolleyes: :D and I will be making some adjustments over the next few days to get the stock a few inches higher so not to crane my next whilst rangefinding. Have a nice piece of 2" wide ally that I will be bending to the right shape.

I need to raise the stock about 100mm from the knee but have space to put hand between the stock as is and the bottom of the ally for standers. A work in progress I think it called ;) to get it ready for Wendover.