Stock & Action - Consistency issue

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by tristinh, Feb 24, 2014.

1. tristinh

tristinh FT Newbie

Club:
    Avon Hawks
    Hi Fellow shooters,

I think I know the answer to this one, but would like to canvas other more experienced shooters opinion.

The Story.... Over the past few weeks I have not been impressed with my protargets consistency, every few pellets it would be up to 3 mil dots right, low and combinations of the 2. After doing a few checks on Sunday and not getting any where (cleaned barrel, checked barrel was secure, check scope mounts, muzzle brake for clipping) I had decided that it was time it went to someone more experienced for a service.

So, tonight I remove the action from its Paul Wilson stock and notice a fresh mark on the underside of the action. On further investigation it seems that 1 of the 2 cap screws was touching and applying pressure to the action! All I can think of is that when I removed the action 5 or so weeks ago to fit my Butt Hook, I must have mixed the cap screws up causing one to now foul.

The question... Would this pressure from the cap screw cause all of my consistency issues. Have I been a right muppet and a simple screw been causing all y head aches (there's a joke in that somewhere)

Let me know your thoughts....

Thanks Tristin

Protarget Action.jpg

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  2. Mr P

Mr P Active Member

Club:
    Castle
    Hi Tristin
    I would doubt that as created your problem best thing to do is only put one retaining bolt underneath the action, nip it up with the short end of the allen key and give it a whirl. with everything else you have done this will give you a definite answer can only be one of 2 things then crap pellets and this can happen even within a batch of several tins or your gun needs a service.
    hope this help Steve page
    PS one of the best FT guns ever made:)

3. tristinh

tristinh FT Newbie

Club:
    Avon Hawks
    Thanks Steve,

just to clear things up, the action is only held in by one cap screw. There are anothe 2 cap screws which hold the hamster to the stock which on of the screws potruded futher out casiing it to put pressure on the action. I have added a photo to the original post which shows the mark.

Hope this make things a little clearer.

Thanks Tristin

4. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Different gun but stock caused my Walther to shift poi as temp changed and that was using one bolt only. It's now shimmed out with between 2-5mm of Delrin to stop anything of the stock touching or applying pressure and had held zero for about a year. It even holds it going in and out of stock.

5. Mr P

Mr P Active Member

Club:
    Castle
    Hi trstran looked at the picture still think the same try a coupe of dozen shots without the hamster
    Regards
    Steve

6. tristinh

tristinh FT Newbie

Club:
    Avon Hawks
    Thanks, I will give it ago next time im at the club and let yoy know.