Steyranoia

Discussion in 'Steyr' started by RobF, Jul 16, 2014.

1. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Cripes how do people shoot these things without becoming nervous wrecks?

Floated the barrel as per written instruction from ex world champ. Haven't been quite happy with groups indoors but figured it was me and they were ok at 25 indoors. Many through the same hole but the occasional flyer. Core groups are superb. Just wanders or spits. Decided it could need a clean. That didn't work. Groups at 55 3" high. Changed pellets, no joy. Removed brake. No joy. Couldn't get a zero for more than 3-4 shots...
    Chronod and she's doing av shot to shot deviation of 3 fps and highest and lowest were 11fps apart over 20 shots. Pellets from tin. Not reg then.
    Decided to check barrel was tight. Noticed small mark on top edge of barrel where breach closes. Rotated it 90 degrees in fit of desperation and tightened it down with slightly less pressure required to close breach. Guessing.
    She grouped. She now needs a clean every 100 shots and I've got to check the windage indoors to ensure it's not just now spraying them left or right as opposed to up and down.

Is there some sort of a steyr support group? I can imagine mr Daniels turning up half way through a session and talking about Walthers though. Is it only those with strains of 'Moroccan glow' that can shoot them? Cozzy definitely had some rust in his beard at the weekend, Conor we know carries the gene and gets a tan opening the fridge. Ayers I think shaves his head tight to hide it and Mr Hague has drunk too much sunny delight. It's that or barrel harmonics.

Can't grumble with the purchase. Fixed many a problem just found new ones. I'll leave her next to a Walther with some smoochy music on and some cleaning fluid. Perhaps they'll mate.

2. Ratinator

Ratinator 77.74

Club:
    Millride FTC / Nomads
    What model have you got

Stick with it Rob
    My lg110 gave me some teething problems,but now it is sorted Its brilliant.
    I am far from a good shot but my scores are creeping up and I have every confidence in my set up now.
    Mine had massive drops in power which was a combination of hammer and reg ,she's super consistent now and I'm struggling to miss with her.
    She's set at 775 with AA 8.4 from the tin,not done any group tests yet but as I say the targets keep falling so not bothered with group size.

3. PaulD

PaulD I like Feinwerkbau's

Club:
    Tawd Vale FT&ARC
    As Simon says stick with it, everyone by now has heard of the trials and tribulations I had with mine but I persevered with it and it's now fine. Personally I don't think they are easy to shoot and where with my GP I could cough and still hit the target with the Steyr if I so much as blink I miss, make sure your on top of your game and the Steyr will deliver, have a bad day and expect to be punished severely
    As said before most have problems with groups but that doesn't seem to stop them knocking targets over. Definitely an acquired taste though, just make sure you get your meds right and you will be fine The major plus point is any numpty can service them with the help of Sportswaffen's videos on you tube.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2014
  4. CAC

CAC Member

Steyr

Rob , what you using through it ?mine loves express ,would get the odd flyer with exacts , don't seem to have to do too much in the way of cleaning (LG 110 4yrs old approx) when the urge takes me I'll clean the barrel no set regime ,can't say I've seen any major drop off in accuracy if I don't though.
    Aside from free floating the barrel mine is as it left the factory action wise I have a spare reg but never had to touch the one that's in situ and will shoot it till something goes wrong .... Paul is right though the Daystate GP was the most accurate and forgiving of all ;)

5. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Express and mozzies at the moment. She's feeding on an 05 batch that go mega in the Walther Helen uses. As such they are like firing diamonds down range. But I think the other batches I have may do the job. After 4 hours if trying to get a decent set of numbers without a 2 Moa jump I was just happy to get a smooth set of numbers that held.
    Pellet worrying next week.

6. Martz

Martz Member

Club:
    Redfearn FTC
    Most of the time you've got a 40mm plate to aim at...

Stick with it, don't get Steyranoia.

7. Gcos

Gcos Member

Club:
    Thorn Dell ( RIP )
    Re Steyranoia

The Steyr support group is at Thorndell FTC. If you require the 24hr freephone no please PM me.
    With regard to a cleaning regime .
    1. Initially clean it vigoroursly to a mirror finish , not just a couple or three pull throughs . Then start leading it up ,to see when the accuracy comes in .
    2. You then only clean the barrel when it goes off. Been far to much cleaning in my opinion in the past.

If all this fails we then try a hand selected barrel from the factory which we have in stock . This has a known pedigree.
    Regards G.