Steyr Service

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by PJHIZZLE, Jun 2, 2014.

1. PJHIZZLE

PJHIZZLE Member

Club:
    BFTO -Bisley
    Hi

Does anybody know what's involved in servicing the LG100/110? I've been reading the forum lately about spare parts and I'd like to know what Harry Preston would do if I sent my rifle in for a service.

Cheers!

2. DYNO DAVE

DYNO DAVE Senior Member

Club:
    Dunfermline
    Service

Send it to Harry and you will end up with a pile of scrap

3. Gcos

Gcos Member

Club:
    Thorn Dell ( RIP )
    Re Steyr service

Dave ,
    I think that remark is a bit extreme to say the least. At this present moment in time we have a total of 6 steyr guns. What little service, checks or upgrades that have been done to the guns ,has always been done by Harry Preston. That started in 2008. We have never had to return a gun to him after he has worked on it ( not like some other people ). To return to your original comment , it would appear that I have rather a large pile of scrap , but no matter it has had a small amount of success.
    Regards G.

4. chrisc

chrisc Lucky git

I agree that this is a bit harsh as Harry does know his stuff.

Depending on the type of problem (if any)
    Steyr servicing is fairly easy if you folllow the vids on the sportwaffen site. 4 o rings are needed initially -
    o ring 6x2 reg interface and transfer port (2) 3301020026
    o ring 24x2 interface to firing valve 6390011
    o ring 5,28x1,78 internal loading port/breech 6390050

Check of the reg pressure and if not constant then service with 2 o rings and 8 bellevilles, re-set pressure and check for stability.While apart check for damage to piston and general clean.

While the rilfe is apart a general clean out of the areas where the block and cylinder sit and check of hammer,hamer spring, firing valve and spring (i have the dimensions that the springs written down). Check of trigger sears and general clean with cotton buds. Clean out of area where the hammer and firing valve sit. On assembly check that the stabiliser is working correctly (can also be done on stripdown) and that it protrodes from the rear of the block approx 5-10mm. The Steyr vid shows flush but i suspect that the rifle in the vid is 6 ft/lbs.

On assembly , make sure that the cocking lever has a positive click to close and is smooth in operation. if the closing of the cocking lever is too slack then it can pop open on firing and the rifle will 'blow' air each shot lowering the shot count, if too tight then the barrel end can crush the breech o ring. the 2 bolts that attach the block are used as the block has built in play. If that doesn't work then the barrel can be moved in or out to get the right closure of the cocking lever.

Might sound a bit complicated but most could do a service apart from the reg....you'd need a reg checker.

5. Multiregion

Multiregion New Member

Club:
    Castle
    I can understand Dave's comments.
    Harry Preston support for serving the gun your self is zero.
    Chris's comment is fine about serving but omits to say you can not buy spares from Mr Preston, well only a select inner circle.
    These comments are from personal experience and I am happy to repeat them face to face with any one and even enlarge on my experience.
    Mick:eek:o

6. chrisc

chrisc Lucky git

I understand your point of view as HP is running a business at the end of the day so tries to maximise his income. If i were in his shoes i would probably run it the same but try to be a bit more flexible when it came to selling service items. It's for this reason that i source spares through my Dutch address with no restrictions.

If anyone is struggling for items then please drop me a PM as i have almost every service part for a steyr and can get any and all parts.

just to balance things a bit...in the early days of my Steyr ownwership i fund HP friendly, professional and helpful.

7. Multiregion

Multiregion New Member

Club:
    Castle
    That's all very well Chris so you would run your business the same but be a bit more friendly selling spare parts?
    That's not running the business the same and why should any one have to buy spares from Europe.
    Also if you are such a fan of Mr Preston how dare you supply spares obtained outside this country and jeopardise Mr Preston's business. Hunting with the hounds and running with the fox spring to mind.:shot:

8. chrisc

chrisc Lucky git

If being the Steyr UK rep was my job and my primary income then i would run it in a way where i could make enough money to pay the mortgage. I don't totally agree with how he runs it in regards to which parts he will supply but that's his call. It's for this reason that i have sourced my own spares which i am entitled to do having a Dutch house. Sourcing my own parts means i don't have to send/take my rifle to HP and the parts are cheaper. In the days before i knew my round a steyr i went to HP and found him spot on so, despite a lot of hearsay cannot decry the work he's done for me.

Others are sourcing steyr spares (Benke for example) but i'm just fortunate to have my Dutch contact/Dutch home and have been told by Steyr direct that i'm ok to obtain parts this way. If my sourcing (and others) impacted HP's income then he would have to review the way he runs his business which would be better?

Actually not that impressed with your "how dare you" and your insinuation that i'm two faced:confused:

Funnily enough i had someone contact me for a reg checker last week and he was told by HP to approach me for one. I try to help other shooters as much as i can and will continue to do so as i get a better price the more stuff goes on an order.....which is a win win all round.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
  9. rogb

rogb Señor Member

I was Steyr from 2009 till very recently and the two guys who have helped me the most were ChrisC and HarryP.
    Can't fault either, that was my experience:)

Also good ole Wiseguy on here helped me out a few times, mustn't forget that :)

10. PJHIZZLE

PJHIZZLE Member

Club:
    BFTO -Bisley
    Chris, thanks so much for you response, it's exactly what I needed to know. I have taken my Steyr apart in the past with the help of the YouTube vids and I reckon I can follow your instructions (not 100% on what a trigger sear is or where the piston is but I'll figure it out)

With regard to the stabiliser, i have noticed a tiny amount of muzzle flip when firing so I suspect my stabiliser may not be set correctly - possibly due to me taking the rifle apart previously and reassembling as per the YouTube videos which as you say, instruct you to have the spring flush with the block.

I have a new 16J reg coming from a German shop soon. I bought it because my chrono readings can fluctuate as much as 25fps sometimes and i hear that this is not great. I will order the components in your list above and will fit them and clean the internals once the parts turn up.

Once again, lI really appreciate you taking the time to write such a concise response and I'll update this thread once I've put my rifle back together and tested it.

I guess. I'd better get myself a reg checker as well. Sounds like I may need one sometime in the future.

All the best,

Peter

11. Multiregion

Multiregion New Member

Club:
    Castle
    Just proves my point Chris you had to come back and try and justify yourself.If its no bother to Harry Preston you supplying spares he may as well supply them himself, all the words in the world wont change the facts however you try to dress it up.
    If you feel he has a living to make which you keep saying, stop supplying to other people and obtain the spares for your own private use.
    Why would Mr Preston direct a potential customer to you if its one rule for all which it does not seem to be.
    Mr Preston may be a nice guy but his business policy is not nice and short sighted, he could easily sell spares with a healthy mark up and afford another crust.
    Mick

12. chrisc

chrisc Lucky git

Blimey, what is your problem?

i don't have to justify myself at all Mick but it would appear that you have sand in your mangina over something? Have you had a bad experience with HP as the sparks from your axe can be seen for mles? therefore not justification but explanation.

Yeh, i lied about a potential customer being directed to me:rolleyes:...i can only pass on what i'm told by the person wanting the reg checker. Also i have absolutely nothing to gain by 'bigging up' HP.....in fact quite the opposite. i'm just saying it from my own experience that i have never had a problem with HP. maybe i should take your advice and tell people to sod off when they ask me for assistance, that would make you very popular. I don't know if you actually know me as i don't know your surname and you've not posted much since you joined but i have never charged anyone for working on a rifle as i quite enjoy helping people out and with each job find out something new for myself. I'll give you an example of the work i did a few weeks ago, full strip, clean, reg service and set up, cocking lever set up and stabiliser set. Took me 2 hours and the price was 20 quid for the parts. hardly a lucrative business.....oh and fitted a stabiliser spring for someone for no charge and sent someone some transfer port seals for nothing....shall i continue?

When i order parts i pay Dutch VAT and the Dutch rep makes a bit for supplying/postage/packing...then i bring to the UK and post out or meet people at shoots. I do agree with you that if i could get the parts through HP for the same price i wouldn't bother as sometimes the PO trips can be a bit of a chore when you work away all week and only get back for the weekend.

You might have a point that it depends who you are as to whether HP will supply parts but after what i've seen on stripping the odd Steyr it's obvious that some shooters shouldn't be trusted with a spoon.

13. LANKY MK

LANKY MK this **** is killing me.

Club:
    Emley Moor FTC
    Just afew things....

Firstly the comment of Daves that you first commented on was with regards to the rifle being sent to HP and nothing to do with obtaining spares from HP, so you saying "i can understand Daves comment" is..... nonsense, you obviously didn't. (maybe there's past comments by Dave in other threads but that doesn't make you reply to Daves comment valid)

saying Chris should abstain from supplying spares because it effects HP, again doesn't work since (generally) HP won't supply spares so how would Chris supplying them effect HP, the people obtaining spares don't want to send it to HP anyway so will source spares & if Chris doesn't supply them someone else will. Also how does the fact that Chris had a good experience with HP in the past & actually found him to be a nice guy mean he can't do anything that might "effect" HP's business, where did that rule come from.

Chris & others agree that HP should be more open to supplying spares so wheres the need to grind your axe on here picking "fights" with people because they don't agree with you that HP is scum.

14. Ratinator

Ratinator Well-Known Member

Club:
    Millride FTC / Nomads
    Harry Preston

Just thought that with all the slandering going on ,i would point out my experience with Mr Preston.
    As of yet i have not been charged a penny by him,he arranged a swap for an inferior trigger block then serviced that block when i had an issue with it.
    Both these occasions came with next day delivery and excellent communication from Mr Preston himself,
    So the man gets my vote regardless of what others think of him,i would have no problem reccomending him to anyone.
    Speak as you find i say and in my opinion he is a proffesional gentleman and a pleasure to talk with.
    Happy HP customer
    Simon Francis

Just to add
    I am not one of the ellite shooters and my 8yr old LG110 was bought second hand,and when i first spoke to him he did not know me from Adam

15. DYNO DAVE

DYNO DAVE Senior Member

Club:
    Dunfermline
    Preston

First and foremost my comments are what I believe would happen to your gun if he got his hands on it , And why, I have seen him work on them and was shocked at what I saw never in a million years should he be the styer rep or repair agent you could say he is a component changer but any more than that he is stumped and by the time he has changed every thing to find out what's wrong the bill will be mega so don't come on here and tell me that my comments are harsh , there are plenty of people out there no what I'm talking about and I have repaired some of there guns.

16. Multiregion

Multiregion New Member

Club:
    Castle
    Hi Chris I do know you and you would know me by sight Its Mick Brown yes I could not purchase spares from HP when I had a Steyr and implications of capability came into it direct from Steyr. Someone else who shall be nameless who you know was refused parts and he definitely knows what he is doing. Why have videos showing how to service if you are not going to supply spare parts.
    Not having a go at you as such but I think it is unfair for some people being forced in some instances to return items to supplier for service when they are perfectly capable of carrying out such work and why should they have to struggle to find spare parts when we have a UK agent,( those that wish to return there guns to Harry Preston are free to do so) as was the case when I owned a Steyr.
    It comes down to Why Should Harry Preston keep getting a pat on the back as such a great guy when he won't supply spare parts and people like you fill the gap and he continues to be able to avoid the issue.
    I have not owned a Steyr for some time ( it was originally purchased from HP), but I do believe the short comings of Steyr's UK agent need highlighting as well as the good points. this I feel is constructive criticism from which a lesson could be learned.
    From my experience The UK is the only country that the agent refuses to supply spare parts.
    I have no knowledge of Mr Preston's servicing capabilities but his people skills need polishing.
    Mick

17. LANKY MK

LANKY MK this **** is killing me.

Club:
    Emley Moor FTC
    Posting " Send it to Harry and you will end up with a pile of scrap" without context will be seen (by most) as harsh.

Maybe posting something like your post here in reply to the OP would have been more appropriate.

18. poth

poth Whafta old Gits world champion

Club:
    Quarry hunters hft
    all this info on here makes me glad I have got an air arms no problem getting spares for them and cheap to service even by our local rfd
    styers might have a good reputation so some say and some dont but is it worth the hastle, and yes air arms is not perfect on warrenty repairs either

19. chrisc

chrisc Lucky git

Actually Dave, there ´s a reason why the component changing happens. sometimes a varying fps on the chrono can be the result of the failure of firing valve, spring, hammer spring, reg or just dirt. It ´s obvious that you would change the cheapest item first. This would happen on any rifle. Obviously you would give a clean and check the reg forst but after that it ´s replace the cheapest item first and then re check. I ´ve worked on Steyrs for almost 10 years now and this is the process that i stil follow although after a while you learn what causes certain problems but even then it ´s not cut n dried.:(. I still think the comment of the rifle coming back as scrap is very, very harsh.

Mick, i can ´t disagree with any of that and think it ´s bonkers for it to cost to post both ways in postage just to have a few o rings fitted. Even though HP lives well within driving distance for me i decided a long time ago that i had to learn how to service myself. then i was lucky to be able to source parts as i own a house in the Netherlands.

I bet it ´s no where near as cheap as mine costs me;).......and no help if you ´re at a GP or the worlds and it fails.

20. blacklab

blacklab Member

Club:
    nelson

just like to say chris is a top guy and I had to bend hp arm to pay him for some bits i had