Steyr scope rail and chairgun

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by bootneckbob, Dec 29, 2010.

1. bootneckbob

bootneckbob Active Member

Club:
    Shebbear
    Hi, just wondering if there is any way of using chairgun for a quick fix whilst using the Steyr scope rail as it is inclined??

2. wiseguy

wiseguy Active Member

Club:
    DFTA
    Yes, I still use Chairgun with good results using the weaver rail.
    In fact I use the end of the barrel as starting point and calculate the drop of the point of sight to that end of the barrel. That is the height I use in Chairgun for the ballistic calculations.
    regards,
    Rob

3. chrispro97

chrispro97 New Member

Club:
    purley chase ftc
    just measure the centre off barrel to centre of scope and put that in,or do the proper way on paper from 10 to 55 moving every 5 yards out and shooting the paper once you pick the zero range i dont trust them they r not bang on for me,i do all on paper and measureing tape and paralax at the same time

4. bootneckbob

Club:
    Shebbear
    I would or will do it on paper as you said Chris, but I'm out shooting on Friday with it so just wondered if chairgun would be close enough, or if the incline really throws it out.
    Cheers for the quick replies guys.

5. greyskullnz

greyskullnz Non member

The incline really does throw it out.

You can get it close enough for fine tuning by using the end of the muzzle as the height point, which means making a best guess of the height using a piece of card with a small hole covering the lens to allow you to focus at such short range. However, its still not good enough to compete with (at short notice). The only way is to shoot the ranges to be sure, then use the software to fill in the blanks with the proven distances you have, and tweak the input data until you come close enough. I cannot be bothered with this way of doing things personally

The tilted rail is a PITA for more than just CG on Steyrs. Having said that I worked a different way around the problem, which does not involve CG, but still allows software use to analyse the results. Still using the Steyr rail......but the scope does not follow the tilt, it is now closer to bore line angle to align the optical centre with POI at 27 yards. Scope mounts were bedded with epoxy. This loses much of the advantage of the tilted rail, but still raises the scope height to be comfortable for head placement.

I use the two other software pieces written by CG developer, called "realwordPOI" and "realworldCLICKS". They are just what the Steyr set up needs to get you pin point accurate with your settings if you have to start over after changing a scope/mounts/pellet.

good luck.

GS

6. bootneckbob

Club:
    Shebbear
    ok thanks for that info, very useful.

7. Willbe

Willbe I Like BIG Hats!

Club:
    Far Coley FTC
    Have you got a link to these progs? Tried a google with little success.

Regards
    Will

8. greyskullnz

greyskullnz Non member

They were BETA software that was not generally released.

I was lucky enough to run across the download link on the "yella" forum a couple years back.

The BETA description says not for distribution. Pity, as this is the direction that ballistics software for airguns SHOULD be going.

If you PM me your email address, I will attach by return if I can. Just beweare they are .exe files and if your computer is like mine it will throw a fit when you download them lol.

Also this is just my opinion on the subject. There are many ways to solve your problem, which are not available to us here, such as adjustable mounts and custom made rails etc etc. I'm sure some other more experienced will chime in. In many ways CG is great, and works well when the sight line is close to parrallel with the boreline, only requiring very minor tweaks.

GS

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2010
  9. JTK

JTK New Member

I use CH and must say I have not had much issues with it. I have a steyr with rail and use it but I calculate my distances from the saddle of the scope. easy to cal the height. 1/2 scope tube + 1/2 barrel diameter + space between the two. I figure that the drop over the 1st 40cm of barrel length (if there was no barrel) would be negligible so I start at the saddle for ranging and CG clicks. Atmiospheric changes would make more diffs down range than that little bit of diffs.

Oo. and wit the scope sloped it is so little. It is really only to alight the scope optical centre with the zenith of the pellet travel. You anyways adjust the crosshairs to this effect if you did not have a rail ;)