Steyr reg test

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by Kamo, Feb 2, 2014.

1. Kamo

Kamo New Member

Club:
    Redferns
    Hi guys,

Having major problems with my my lg110 greatish groups up to 45 yards, past this I could throw the things better. Even at 25 yards it can spit the odd few up left or right by 6 pellets width.

I've removed the cones from the stipper so clipping isn't a issue. I'm beginning to think there maybe a reg problem. It's about to tossed into the river Calder. The major pain is today been up the club and out shoot the Steyr with my .22 ultra I have had for 2wks with 10mag hawke cheap scope using holdover. This lg110 has stoped me going to the last couple of comps:mad:

The question is do I sell it back to the shop I got I from or try to get it sorted?? At this point I would not trust it to hit a barn door at 25 yards.

Thanks

K

2. Brian.Samson

Brian.Samson Allowed in Sales Staff Member

Club:
    Pontefract, Doncaster Airgun Range
    Not knowing any details really and based purely on the information in your post I'd say.. if the target is closer than 45 yards, use the Steyr, beyond that, throw the pellets :D Sorry, I couldn't resist :D

Seriously, the first things I would do would be - proper barrel clean (I'd use a VFG kit), strip the hammer and check for damage. Try running it over a chrono to see if it is perhaps a reg problem. Change pellets.

My money would be on - dirty barrel or batch of pellets that it doesn't like.

3. PaulD

PaulD I like Feinwerkbau's

Club:
    Tawd Vale FT&ARC
    I had similar problems with mine but perseverance has sorted it. I've found the stripper works great but you need to wrap some shim around the barrel to make it a snug fit and therefor central to the barrel (poor tolerance between barrel and stripper body) I stripped the action and degreased the hammer and the slot it runs in plus polished it and the spring ends. My barrel throws a hissy fit if it's not cleaned spotless every shoot. it is also pellet fussy, it won't shoot Air Arms pellets but for some weird reason loves JSB's which as far as I can see are identical? I changed the firing valve for the newer type (different seal material) but it was one of the first of the long barrel rifles so if yours is newer it probably already has that fitted. I've got a Steyr reg checker and can check it for you if needed as I only live just down the M62 from you. Hope this helps.

4. fudge-1200

fudge-1200 New Member

Club:
    Castleton, FTC
    Have a look under the manufacturers section, there is loads on there regarding this, if it makes you feel better you are not alone with this problem, solutions range from cleaning the barrel to having it recrowned.
    Gary.

5. Kamo

Kamo New Member

Club:
    Redferns
    :) Chris C very kindly showed me how to strip and clean the gubbins. The barrel has been cleaned so much it now.20:). I pull it through every time I finish a session may be 200/300shots or less. The patches are coming out clean after 1 pull through. It's now getting to the point it's not worth the effort. Crono figs not the best but steyrs are not the best over the crono or so I'm told. Pellets wise it hates AA but is a lot better with JSB until it starts to throw them all over.

I'm thinking the reg may up s1st creek...or I need to shoot 1 pellet and then a patch then pellet lol.

6. Brian.Samson

Brian.Samson Allowed in Sales Staff Member

Club:
    Pontefract, Doncaster Airgun Range
    Try a different batch of JSB's (you've got about 50 to choose from) AA is just another batch of JSB essentially don't forget.

7. Kamo

Kamo New Member

Club:
    Redferns
    Thanks fudge, looking at them makes it worse:D no one simple problem.
    K

8. Kamo

Kamo New Member

Club:
    Redferns
    True. Could one tin shoot worse than another from the same batch? I've not noticed any damaged pellets.

9. nemesis

nemesis 55yrd standing expert, or was it 8 or 9?

Had same problem with mine over a year ago.Had a new hand selected barrel from steyr.
    They took the barrel back to steyr for testing and confirmed that the barrel wouldn't group past 10mtr.
    They didn't say what the cause was though.
    Check the barrel first along with trying different pellets.
    Doubt very much it'll be the reg,see if groups improve with stripper off.

10. Kamo

Kamo New Member

Club:
    Redferns
    Paul thanks for the offer. Having looked into my problem I see u have had a ordeal sorting yours out. Pm me your number if u can so I could compare notes.

Thanks
    K

11. eyewitnesss

eyewitnesss Government Spy

Club:
    Redfearn FTC
    Paul I had a similar problem and it turned out to be the barrel clogged up at the breech end Jim Hogan sorted it for me too long to explain on here but when you see me I will tell you

12. chrisc

chrisc Lucky git

K, if you want some help then just let me know. I have a reg checker and also a spare new 55cm barrel that you could use to try to eliminate some possible problems.

Edit, also a few different batches of JSB's including different head sizes you could try.

13. Kamo

Kamo New Member

Club:
    Redferns
    Thanks Chris very kind of you I will let you know. Antony at redbecks has asked if they can have a look at it so just dropped it off today for a couple of days. I will keep you posted.

14. chrisc

chrisc Lucky git

No worries mate:)