steyr reg pressure

Discussion in 'Steyr' started by chrispro97, Oct 11, 2009.

1. chrispro97

chrispro97 New Member

Club:
    purley chase ftc
    does anyone no how to turn reg pressure down on lg110

2. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics
    It's a dark art, full of black magic, so much so that even Nick Murphy won't even look at them any more.

3. greyskullnz

greyskullnz Non member

This is a bit puzzling for me, as I would not think to touch the reg, rather turn the hammer spring adjuster down instead.

I have a 16j/12 ft/lbs reg in front of me, which I purchased to replace the 24j reg fitted in mine. I didin't fit it, as I can access the power adjuster, change setting between 24j/16j/7j in about 30 seconds,performance is consistent across the power range, and have no need for it. Parts would have to be changed out to alter the regs operation.

Is there something I am missing?

The reg looks to me like a non adjustable/replacement unit. You would just buy a replacement at one of the appropriate settings (24j/16j/7j) wouldn't you? If it is malfunctioning I would think it is a case of a replacement reg.

What is different between the models in UK and elsewhere?

cheers
    GS

4. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    By playing with the pressure, you can then alter the volume of air by playing with the opening duration, which can alter the characteristics of the shot's feel. And some have found that setting to a certain pressure on regs makes the reg more consistent.

5. chrispro97

chrispro97 New Member

Club:
    purley chase ftc
    cheers for that rob at least you understand ,the gun has a kick which means by dropping the reg pressure it will stop the kick and giv me more shots,its consistant over the chrono so its working fine just not running efictly

Last edited: Oct 12, 2009
  6. Scooby

Scooby Pete Dutton

Are you sure the reg is at fault & it's not the hammer being shitted up or sticking ?

7. richardio123

richardio123 Member

Could be the recoil slide getting stuck? I know mine got some grit in and you could feel it kick???

r

8. chrispro97

chrispro97 New Member

Club:
    purley chase ftc
    could that cause scooby its using alot of air sounds very loud and doing 810 with mozzies and only getting 70 shots

9. rogb

rogb Señor Member

How about turning down the hammer spring until you do 795-800 fps with the mozzis, and seeing how many shots you get then, otherwise it will need a reg checker, so contact Harry Preston or Hydrographics.

I must say I have no idea how many shots I get with mine, running at 803-6 with 7.9s, but it must be more than 70, probably over 100.:)

EDIT: if the reg is quite old and the gun well used perhaps may need a new reg. A friend of mine's went on his HP, and he is a top Steyr man who knows plenty, but I think he put a new one in.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2009
  10. Scooby

Scooby Pete Dutton

If the hammer is sticking you often have to put extra spring tension on the hammer spring, depending where the hammer is sticking it can allow the firing valve to stay open longer than it should which wastes a lot of air.

It's worth giving it a quick clean & service before playing with the reg or sending it back to Harry Preston

11. greyskullnz

greyskullnz Non member

I would agree with that scenario. I regularly take my velocity up and down from 790 up to 980 fps just coz I can. This does mean I am giving the hammer and spring mechanism a workout every few weeks. I also took out the hammer spring and gave it a burnish with moly paste early on in its life and haven't had any problems. Besides eradicating any hammer "ping" it has given me ultra consistent chrony readings under 2 fps average.

I get really great air efficiency at 16j, with around 110 shots a fill.

Give the hammer spring a burnish with a wire brush on a dremel or suchlike rotary tool, and burnish some moly lube into the surfaces of the spring wire then wipe it clean and replace.

Your description doesn't sound like a typical Steyr behaviour, but I would doubt the reg is at fault.

good luck sorting it.

GS

12. chrispro97

chrispro97 New Member

Club:
    purley chase ftc
    just sorted the hammer spring out it woz binding meaning woz not shutting valve quick anoth getting 90 shots at 805fps with mozzies now and the gun is not so loud now

13. Sparky

Sparky Ich dien Staff Member

Club:
    Quarry Hunters
    Scooby's advice works again:D

Pete

14. chrispro97

chrispro97 New Member

Club:
    purley chase ftc
    cheers lads for your advice:shot::shot::D