Steyr Problem ?

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by countorik, Aug 12, 2014.

1. countorik

countorik BFTA C Grade Champion 2010

Club:
    Tondu
    Help wanted please. Bought a lg110, setting it up this morning and noticed that if you left it for 5 minutes between shots, then the first shot would drop low ( about 60 mm at 55 yards), and every shot after that would be right for height, leave it for 5 minutes, and the same thing would happen again. So, does anyone know what's going on, and how do I fix it. Not had a Steyr before, so not sure how to fix it.
    Thanks Peter.

2. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    Very strange, immediate thoughts are leaking regulator. Very rare indeed.
    Valve issue ie not sealing properly is my immediate thought. You may have an early model LG110 which had the valve seal machined into the valve chamber which they discontinued as it was prone to leaking. Only way to confirm is a strip but before you do that check the transfer port, bit of water (spit works best) over the hole, if it bubbles then your valve is leaking.

If it's what my suspicion is then Steyr will replace your whole trigger block.
    Send me a pm if you want

3. chrisc

chrisc Lucky git

Conor has covered most of what i was going to say. I suspect a slow leak on the reg but it is very rare. I can't really think of anything else apart from a dodgy firing valve that would give the symptoms you describe.

Not sure if you're comfortable about stripping the rifle and it's a pity your'e so far away as i would have sorted it for you as i have reg internal spares and a reg checker...also firing valves. Conor already mentioned it but there were some early models that had a machined bevel in the block for the firing valve to fit. the newer versions are flat at the block and rely on a thin o ring pressed into the firing valve to provide the seal.The old firing valves had no o ring.

4. willo

willo Nikon Shooter

Club:
    Rivington Riflemen
    Reg repair

Hi Peter, my 2 penny worth.
    I think you have two problems;
    1, is that you have a leak depleting air from the chamber, which as mentioned above could be the reg or the valve, or even any of the housing o rings.
    2, the reg is not filling when the pressure in the chamber reduces ( leaking occurs)

The reg contains a small aluminuim piston with a delrin insert, this insert acts as a valve seat against the supply of air from your cylinder and as such operates against pressures upto 200 bar. After time this delrin insert wears and can form a little nipple (mine did)

As your chamber pressure is slowly depleted through the leak, and the piston moves away from the supply jet, the little nipple is still making a seal and not allowing the cylinder air in.

IMO the leak is also coming from one of the two O rings on the piston inside the reg.

Chris will be able to supply you with a reg piston and O rings, but you will need a reg checker and a special forked screwdriver tool to set it back to your prefered pressure (prob around £30 for the piston & O rings)

A set of O rings for the housings is about a tenner, and I would fit in a new firing valve whilst its apart, they're not expensive.

Good luck with your repair, and let us know how you get on.

5. countorik

Club:
    Tondu
    steyr

First I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to answer my question.
    Bit of a update, tried the 'spit' test, no bubbles. Took it to the club this afternoon, first shot over the crono 661, second 734, third 776, and it was consistent after that.
    Don't know if anyone would know the year of manufacture, but the serial number is 02936.
    Can you suggest someone that I could take it to that could sort the reg, will be at Gp7.
    Peter

6. bronxe

bronxe Banned

Club:
    Quarry Hunters
    Reg

I have one you can borrow if you need one x

7. chrisc

chrisc Lucky git

Got your PM Peter. GP7 is my home ground but unfortunately i'm away for a UKAHFT round. It is quite common for a reg to 'settle' after filling as both mine take 2 shots to settle from a fill. I know it's not much consolation but if i had the rifle it would serviced/reg service and pressure set within an hour:eek:. Real pity about the circumstances. Unless you can get the rifle to me....drive up this weekend?...i know it's a long way but at least you'll get a full service and set up. I only ever charge for parts used...never for the time:)

Reg o rings and belleville washers are a tenner and a firing valve is 17 quid. An extra tenner would cover all other internal o rings. So 27 quid total for full service including reg and pressure set.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
  8. willo

willo Nikon Shooter

Club:
    Rivington Riflemen
    Hiya Peter, the no bubbles from the tranny port would suggest that its not the firing valve, and then IMO points towards the reg piston O rings.

By the time you have ordered a new reg piston and travelled to someone to fit it for you, set the pressure etc it might be more economic to buy and fit a replacement pre set reg (not 100% sure on price but about £80 for a new reg, but pls ask Chris as prices change with exchange rate etc)

I took some photos when I had my reg piston nipple problem, and I know they're not the best piccies but to give you an idea how inside the reg looks, pls see link

LINK HERE >>>>>> http://s1169.photobucket.com/user/andywillo/library/Steyr Reg

Have fun

9. Scooby

Scooby Pete Dutton

It may be that you reg is leaking air into the action body air chamber giving a higher pressure over time which mean the first shot will drop low

10. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    Not the valve then.
    Sounds like a regulator leak which is causing the pressure to creep up. Simple and quick fix.
    Contact Harry P and send your reg to him, he will replace with a new one next day delivery. ;)

11. countorik

Club:
    Tondu
    steyr

Once again I would like to thank the people who have replied to my question, and those offering to lend me parts to try. The reg has been sent away for a rebuild, so hopefully that will solve the problem.
    Peter.

12. burjaka

burjaka Member

Club:
    CT Sousel - Portugal
    It might be a good opportunity to check if your valve is the new model....

13. AndyIoW

AndyIoW Member

Not really wanting to start a new thread but a club member is having issues with his Steyr. Tried to ring Harry but no luck so far.

The issue he is having is the velocity is varying quite a bit. Over the chrono he is getting everywhere from 750fps to 835fps :eek: no pattern at all. Pellets weighed to be within 8.4/8.5gr tocross that off the list.

Does it sound like the reg or something else?

Thanks

14. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Best

Best thing to do andy is to get the reg out . stick it in a jiffy bag and send it harry for a service ??? HOLLY

15. AndyIoW

AndyIoW Member

Melv would do if he could get an answer from Harry. Just wanted to get other opinions on possible causes.

BTW started on Winter course yesterday, shall we say some pruning is required still :D

16. chrisc

chrisc Lucky git

Hi Andy, first make sure that the transfer port is tight but don't put too much pressure and over tighten as the allen key can damage the internal run that the allen key sits into. Could be the transfer port o ring, breech seal but i'm thinking more along the lines of knackered firing valve/valve spring/hammer spring. It's a tricky one to call without getting into the rifle and having a look as it could just be something simple like a very dirty hammer or hammer run in the block. Pity you're not closer as i would have taken a look.:eek:

Replacing the reg/reg interface orings are simple enough but i don't see how either of those would could such a huge spread.
    o ring 6x2 reg interface and transfer port 3301020026 Qty 2
    o ring 24x2 interface to firing valve 6390011 Qty 1
    o ring 5,28x1,78 internal loading port/breech 6390050 Qty 1

Servicing and setting the reg can be done for a tenner as long as you have a reg checker.
    o ring small regulator 4002090018
    o ring large regulator 4002090019
    belleville washer 10 3220022

More common problem causes.
    Hammer pressure spring FT 4107030002
    Hammer pressure spring HP 1200010090
    pressure spring firing valve 4101030005
    valve complete firing valve 4005020515

My gut feeling would be a full service and reg check as the variation in fps is more than i've ever seen on several hundred Steyr's

Last edited: Aug 18, 2014