Steyr Pellet Trials

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by killen, Mar 25, 2015.

1. killen

killen Senior Member

Club:
    Millride
    I have finally come to the conclusion that my newly acquired Steyr LG100 doesn't like the pellets I am using in it. Being old, it takes a long time, sometimes, for the penny to drop.

I have JSB Express 4.52 batch 6000013 which I use lubed in my EV2. In the Steyr, they mostly do tighter groups than my EV2, but I see quite a few flyers, hi/lo - all at 55yds. This is also what I have see when shooting courses with it, but I was blaming my range-finding.
    Today was very good for wind and I could see clearly that it was not me or the scope, as the EV2 was spot on and the Steyr was as described above.

I was joined by a mate and I tried some of his 8.4 Exacts, but no improvement.
    He let slip he had some un-lubed Mosquitoes with him which one of his spring guns loved.
    I tried some of these in my Steyr and the rifle shot brilliantly. Good groups and no flyers. The 55 yd target went over on every shot; all hits along the same horizontal line (very slight wind), not low or high....boring!

So where do I go from here? Can't get Mosquitoes.

Reading here, the many previous threads on this subject, it looks like I should try 7.9's and 8.4's in differing head sizes and different batches. That sounds expensive to go out and purchase so many 500 tins.
    Is there any one who supplies sampler packs with say 20 to 50 pellets of the various weights and batches.
    Sounds like a good business opportunity if not.

What's the opinion on lubing pellets with a Steyr? I always lube on other rifles and find it reduces the need to clean the barrel so often and then its easier when you do.

2. eyewitnesss

eyewitnesss Government Spy

Club:
    Redfearn FTC
  3. eyewitnesss

eyewitnesss Government Spy

Club:
    Redfearn FTC
    Webley VMX pell The new Mozzy?????

4. kilty

kilty Member

Club:
    SPRINGFIELD ARC
    Hi Dave
    I have been shooting Steyr rifles since I started in 2005. Fantastic bit of kit all variants.

Ernst Huber at Steyr advised me NOT to lube pellets, so guess what. Yes I tried lubing them with a famous red liquid. Results were not good.
    Nowadays I listen to people that know and run my Steyrs DRY.
    I also had some of the very first JSB Expresses in the UK via Harry Preston and was told by Pavel Kolebac of JSB that they were the same as Webley Mosquitoes. Originally because of the exclusivity deal with Webley, you could not buy JSB Express in the UK.
    I used both pellets from the same pouch without turning a hair.
    Why don't you try a tin of 4.52 Express running at around 810 fps DRY and see what results you achieve.
    If you have a barley twist then you shouldn't have too many problems with "fussy barrel"
    Hope this helps
    Cheers. Barry

5. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    And yet in mine the Napier seems to tighten groups.

I'd like to try a barley twist.

6. Ratinator

Ratinator 77.74

Club:
    Millride FTC / Nomads
    Air arms

Dave
    I have had best results with air arms 8.4 but I also get the flyers.
    I think the AA pellets are a bit softer so fill out quicker,you could try AA express they were very good when I shot them out of my other guns.
    Simon

7. maddog

maddog Active Member

Club:
    Emley f t c
    Test

You could try sizing them not so many flyers for me

8. Ratinator

Ratinator 77.74

Club:
    Millride FTC / Nomads
    About to test

I have sized some to 4.52 it knock about 30 feet of the output so I've given the power a twist.
    Will let you know the results.

9. J00SPD29

J00SPD29 Member

Club:
    Kibworth
    I have purchased sample packs of pellets from here several times before with no problems:
    http://www.pelletperfect.co.uk

I have done a lot of pellet testing through my Steyr LG110 and it showed up some interesting results. The test card that came with my Steyr has been shot at the factory with JSB Express 7.9 grn, these shoot great and group well, only trouble is that they take quite a bit of wind. I prefer an 8.4 grn pellet. Tried loads of different brands, weights and head sizes, most of which are fine up to 30 yards but some are all over the place at 45 yards onwards. After hours and hours of testing I found a pellet that could equal the JSB Express at 45 y plus, it was the Air Arms Field 8.4 grn but most relevant was the head size, 4.51 rather than the more common 4.52.
    Regards lubeing pellets, I am a supporter of this, just a little goes a long way, I find that I rarely need to clean my barrel and when I occasionally do the barrel isn't very dirty.
    Just a summary of my findings with my setup, as alway with this game what works for one won't necessarily work for someone else.

10. BDL

BDL Dangerous

Club:
    Blaenau Gwent
    Mine seems to like express in 4.51 at 805-10

Bri

11. killen

killen Senior Member

Club:
    Millride
  12. killen

killen Senior Member

Club:
    Millride
    Cheers Barry
    My next thing will be to try dry. Am running at 805 now with lube.
    A new barrel seems to be worth thinking about. Just missed a CZ one on here :eek:o
    I am not used to barrels being very pellet sensitive as my EV2 and previous Pro-target liked anything JSB or AirArms.
    Cheers

Dave

13. killen

killen Senior Member

Club:
    Millride
    Cheers mate, That site looks perfect, exactly what I was after.
    Am surprised that the Airarms was best as thought the JSB were the same but that they may be be better quality. I mean if you were JSB, why would you supply Airarms with better pellets than the ones in the JSB tin.
    Thanks again Dave

14. killen

killen Senior Member

Club:
    Millride
    Pellets on order from Pelletperfect

15. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Mendip & Shebbear
    I am dragging on ancient memories here, but as far as I recall Air Arms pellets are made using different moulds / tooling. Also, at the time AA released their pellets the JSB's were all coming in via direct imports and were not supposed to be available in the UK.

16. kassak

kassak Keith

Club:
    Far Coley
    pellets

You've started something now Killen, just been on that website bought more pellets to try in my MK4 target it does similar to your styer with jsb express great group then a flyer & boy do they take some wind. think i'll try some heavier pellets, that means buying even more, RUINATION !!, See you Saturday if its raining its a good topic for conversation i bet everyones got their own story to tell

17. Sammo

Sammo Member

Yep

Everyone will tell a different story
    Not cos they are lieing but simply that no 2 guns / barrels shoot the same or like the same pellets

18. Barndoor

Barndoor Member

i tried my trusted jsb exacts 8.44 -4.52 and results were good. I was fairly pleased. I then tries 4.53's and wow. as good as it gets. A huge improvement over something I was already happy with.

19. chrisc

chrisc Lucky git

Dave, i've got a new Steyr barrel arriving within a few weeks and also a spare Steyr with a good barrel i can take off and drop onto your rifle.. if you fancy popping up to Emley then i'm happy for you to pop it onto your rifle for a few hundred shots...i've also got a few different batches of JSB and some different head sizes that you're more than welcome to have a play with.

At least that way you'll know whether it's the barrel or not. I'm at Emley all sat mate and Anston (BRC) on Sunday.

20. killen

killen Senior Member

Club:
    Millride
    Thanks for the offer Chris.
    As my Steyr shot the Mosquitoes brilliantly, I think it's just a question of getting the right pellet. I have ordered various sampler packs of pellets ( JSB 7.9, 8.4 /4.51, 8.4/4.53, Crossman Premier, Webley VMX, Airarms 7.9 and Airarms 8.4) and have sized some of my JSB 7.9 and 8.4 /4.52. I have a T Robb adjustable sizer so can play about with them. I just hope I can find a pellet that doesn't need sizing as I find this boring.

If after trying this lot though; I don't get anywhere, I may take you up on trying your spare barrel.

Was also thinking of ordering a tin of the JSB 8.4/4.51 pellets that you say your Steyr likes - as per a previous thread from you. Think it was batch 4 or 40?? you said. Where is the best place to get these from?
    Cheers

Dave