Steyr LP10 reg

Discussion in 'Steyr' started by Adam, Oct 19, 2015.

1. Adam

Adam Active Member

Club:
    Redfearns & the UBC
    My LP10 is producing about 3.6 ft.lbs with Exacts and seems to be maxed out on the V0 screw. Any more and the pistol won't cock. It's not coilbound, in fact it has scarcely any preload at all as it is. Maybe about 2mm at most. The screw face is about 1 thread below level with the locking collar. I'm wondering if I've actually got the right hammer spring tbh.

Steyr say the ideal range is from 155 m/s to 160m/s (492 to 525 fps), which assuming 7 grain match pellets is
    3.8 to 4.3 ft.lbs. Ideally I want about 4.6-4.8. This is for pistol FT and a little more oomph to knock down the larger targets at 20-25 yards. A bigger shape e.g. a silhouette ram leaning forwards can often take a bit of knocking over.

From the parts diagram, part 29.4 (adjusting screw for pressure reducing valve) has to the jobby to adjust reg pressure but access isn't clear. It must involve removing the cover (29.2) but does the whole assembly need to be stripped? It looks like the screw is behind 29.5 (cover for pressure reducing valve), 29.13 (filter) and 29.7 (o-ring 1.5x1)

2. chrisc

chrisc Lucky git

Hi Adam, i looked on the Sportswaffen site but couldn't see the reg breakdown and part numbers you mention. However the reg should be standard as my LG100's have the same reg as my LP50. I have a Steyr reg checker at home (Leeds) and would be happy to check what your reg is set at and show you how to service and set one up. I have all the reg internals in my toolkit.

But for info. Once the reg is off the pistol you have to remove the end cap (2 holes in the top) with a HX4 security bit which then gives access to the pressure adjuster. Turn anti-clockwise to increase reg pressure. If the reg won't come up in pressure then the internal o rings and bellevilles might need replacing. Like i said i've got all the bits you need if you need any help.:)

3. Adam

Adam Active Member

Club:
    Redfearns & the UBC
    Thanks Chris, I'll probably take you up on that kind offer.
    BTW the parts diagram is posted at the top of this sub-forum ;)

4. chrisc

chrisc Lucky git

I'll be at Emley on Sat mate from lunchtime onwards and will be at Guiseley on Sunday for the winter league.

5. Adam

Adam Active Member

Club:
    Redfearns & the UBC
    Good stuff. I'll see if I can pop down Saturday. Failing that I'll be at Guiseley regardless.

6. chrisc

chrisc Lucky git

No worries:)

7. Adam

Adam Active Member

Club:
    Redfearns & the UBC
    Thanks for your help today mate. I found the part no.s here:

http://www.steyr-sport.com/index.ph...n/category/22-parts-lists-with-exploded-views

Hammer spring (51), 3990117
    Transfer port seal (7), "o-ring 6x2" 3301020026
    Breech seal (71), "o-ring 5x1.5", 6390044

Chronoed it later. I thought it was a bit down and it was... 2.1 ft.lbs!
    I got it back up to 3.6 but again it won't go up any more. The plastic trigger washer was getting pinched. I think I know what it is though, there's a part of the sear that sticks up that the back of the hammer pushes against to set the trigger mech. P.37 on the manual http://www.shooting-the-breeze.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2309

The washer was preventing the sear coming back far enough to reset the trigger unless the preload was wound right out. A shim that is no wider than the spring would probably work, or a little top hat at the other end.