steyr lg110ft

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by robsue20, Oct 20, 2015.

1. robsue20

robsue20 Member

How many shots give or take would you reasonably expect to get from a lg110, its the one with the longer barrel and twin cone stripper.

2. BDL

BDL Dangerous

Club:
    Blaenau Gwent
    Mine as a long would give me about 130, it's now been shortened and I get about 100 at a squeeze

Bri

3. chrisc

chrisc Lucky git

Club:
    Emley Moor
    Hi, i have the shorter cylinder on both mine and easily get 100+.

If you're getting less then you've probably got the silver transfer port fitted or your bleeding air each shot from around the breech area. Hopefully not trying to teach you how to suck eggs:eek:....there should be a small blast of air from the top of the breech (where the small black stabiliser latch is) but not from the bottom. if there is then a new breech or transfer port o ring is required, a shim might be required under the transfer port or the closing of the barrel to the breech isn't positive enough.

4. D. Clark

D. Clark Member

Club:
    MidShires Marksmen
    Forgive me if I'm being stupid. If a regulators job is to deliver a measured amount of air I assume that releasing the trigger delivers this regulated amount of air the barrel via the transfer port so wouldn't a leak between the seal and breech bolt affect the velocity rather than the amount of air used? I'm only querying this as I seem to get though a lot of air.

5. chrisc

chrisc Lucky git

Club:
    Emley Moor
    Hi Dave. You're correct about the reg delivering a measured (85bar) pressure but if there's a leak point at the breech and /or transfer port then the hammer spring pressure will need to be increased to compensate for the the pressure loss and keep the rifle at the 775fps (ish) area. Therefore you would be using more air per shot than normal.

The Steyr reg is more like an open valve and if you screwed a cylinder directly onto the reg the air would just **** out of the outlet. The Steyr reg delivers 85 bar into the area of the block just behind the reg interface where the air is stored until released by the firing valve operating. When the trigger is pulled the hammer strikes the firing valve and that stored air is delivered through the transfer port, breech and into the barrel. If there's a leak then there is a reduction in pressure which drops the power, the hammer spring is wound tighter which in effect keeps the firing valve open for longer when struck. basically the rifle uses air at the pressure of 85bar but more air per shot as the firing valve stays open for longer.

Sorry about the clumsy explanation but i think it's all there:eek:

6. D. Clark

D. Clark Member

Club:
    MidShires Marksmen
    Thanks Chris I think i'm following that.
    So would I be correct in saying that air is stored at 85 bar pressure and the length of time the firing vavle is open is governed by the hammer spring and that the reservoir of air held at 85 bar is not neccessarily emptied each time the triger is pulled.

7. bluespots

bluespots New Member

Club:
    Midshires Marksmen, Hereward, Oaktree
    Excessive air use due to leak?

Hi Chris,
    My steyr has had a new transfer port, 2 breech seals (the second after the first blew out when the breech wasn't fully closed) and the reg adjusted. After adjusting the stabiliser I seem to be using even more air. You mention the closing of the barrel to the breech not being positive enough as a cause for excessive air use.... I am missing the foam spacer in the breech. A shallower replacement has been made and put in place. Would the lack of this part or shallower replacement cause air leakage at this point?
    Regards,
    Helen

8. chrisc

chrisc Lucky git

Club:
    Emley Moor
    Yes Dave. Although no Steyr designer i would have thought that all the air would be used. I'm judging that by the work that has gone into the design/shape of the air chamber.

Hi Helen, the foam spacer is there just to stop a pellet falling into the area around the barrel. The barrel to breech seal is purely the breech o ring and the pressure set when locking the cocking lever closed. It's very odd that adjusting the stab would change anything apart from perceived 'kick' on firing.

9. saddler

saddler Phil Gee

Club:
    Millride
    Is the transfer port the same colour as the old one? If it was black and is now silver, it has a smaller hole through it and will use more air.
    If the Reg has been adjusted, then the trigger block must have been removed, maybe it hasn't been relocated correctly? Does the cocking lever feel easier to close? If so, there may not be enough interference between the seals and the barrel.
    Put a piece of tissue paper where the transfer port seals against the bottom of the bolt and fire the gun. Does the tissue paper get blown about? If so, air is leaking past the seal.