Steyr LG110 - power consistency

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by Darren, Aug 17, 2010.

1. Darren

Darren New Member

Hi

What should I expect in terms of shot to shot consistency from my LG110? I'm sure it's going to vary a bit, both from gun to gun and over the range of a charge, but just wondered if those with more experience could share what they would expect or what they have measured with their guns.

I've done some testing on mine, just want to see if it's in the right sort of ballpark.

Cheers

D

2. WHIZZER

WHIZZER Member

My lg100 only varies by a couple of fps, one of my more consistent guns

3. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    to be honest, the last thing i look at is a chrono... if it groups, it doesn't come out of the box (unless i've been working on it and want to check legality)

4. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics
    12ft spread is common. With weighed 3fps shot to shot. Don't go and get chronoitis now, like Rob said if it groups then be happy.

5. berty177

berty177 Judge Diva

Club:
    Nelson FTC
    Agree

I agree with this, as long at the rifle groups well, then be happy with it.

Some people believe that a gun should be within 5fps variation, some guns are like that, some are not, doesnt mean it is a bad rifle.

If you are going to check it over a chrono, then place the rifle in a rifle stand on vice, then set it up so every shot will be consistant over the chrono. Alot of people hold it when checking over a chrono, which will give you different readings due to the fact the barrel will not be in the exact place every time.

In a vice I would be happy if the rifle was varying 10fps or around that number.

When you do test it, check it with pellets straight out of the tin and then with weighed pellets, to see if there is a difference. I wouldnt look into it too much though as you often find you would never even see 10 fps variation when grouping, youd have to be damn still to be that good......

Berty

6. Darren

Darren New Member

Thanks guys. It does seem to group well enough so not really worried about the numbers, just curious about how it compares to what other people have seen.

Cheers

D

7. saddler

saddler Phil Gee

Club:
    Millride
    For me, with pellets straight from the tin, fps variation is normally in the teens. Low teens or maybe into single figures with a good tin, high teens with a bad tin. Obviously when not selecting pellets it depends on sample size. That would be with 10 pellets.

I did start weighing pellets once, then I had a word with myself. :rolleyes:

8. Delphinus

Delphinus New Member

Club:
    CTC
    I agree with the others if it groups be happy with it.

Mine in the first months had a big spread but with time it reduced.

Since I own a 24J version I don t know if you have the same problem but this is my first gun that it s impossible to chronograph with a Combro.

9. nibbley-uk

nibbley-uk Dirty Daz

Ive not long had a Steyr and as long as its legal and groups ok i never check the power as i dont care what the fps spread is like as long as i can go home knowing the gun shot ok and it was just this numpty behind the stock with the problems :D