Steyr LG110 Opinions Please

Discussion in 'Steyr' started by Thepointman, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Thepointman

Thepointman Member

Club:
    Good Ole Boy's Field Target Club & Invicta Field Target Club
    I'm looking for opinions from anyone with experience using the newest Steyr LG110, with the ambidextrous cut outs in the housing (chassis). Have you noted any issues with point of impact shifts? Other things I should be aware of?

I am in the process of swapping over to the newest chassis, from an old LG100. So, I want good, solid opinions before I do.

Thanks!

Harold

2. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    I haven't noticed anything and I've had mine over a year now...but then again I'm crap!
    I was worried about the possibility of extra ingress of dust, dirt and water but its isn't an issue either and funny enough the extra slot allows it to dry out quicker and better after its been wet.

I do have a very well made custom scope rail by Jon Harris made to a very tight tolerance fit which may help strengthen it and prevent any shift.

Only issue I would have is the barrel, it leads up really bad quite quickly so you need to maintain it more regularly and learn its behaviour ie how to keep it shooting at optimum accuracy. I just kept it clean and had no problem.

3. Delphinus

Delphinus New Member

Club:
    CTC
    If you are concerned about it keep your LG100 and mount the new barrel it will smooth the rifle and improve the number of shoots but the new rifle is easy to shoot.

I always keep my barrel clean so I didn t noticed the problems that others had but I recommend a preparation of the barrel.

Conor is crap so I'm extra plus crap. :D

4. James0807

James0807 Member

Club:
    Rivington Riflemen
    I had shot Steyr for a couple of years. It is about knowing what is required with them as they are a finnickey piece of equipment. Since i have had my TM1000 the most it has ever needed is a barrel clean and the hammer cleaning and lubricated and I have smashed so many more top scores with that than my Steyr, but i think this is down to the fit of the rifle and not the actual mecahnics although the steyrs are finnickey as I have said.

Use your TM Harold :cool::rolleyes:

5. Neil-T

Neil-T Boingers forever.

Club:
    Far Coley
    No problems with mine either, shoots spot on.

6. Thepointman

Thepointman Member

Club:
    Good Ole Boy's Field Target Club & Invicta Field Target Club
    Re: Opinions

Thanks guys!

I appreciate and respect your opinions. I am actually taking a very old Steyr Manlicher with the single barrel set screw and changing over all of my parts to the new housing. So, I will be using my old barley twist barrel in this new housing. I've done all of the work to this gun myself and i'm very pleased with it's consistency.

The current gun I'm shooting is the second Steyr I've owned. So, I'm somewhat familiar with Steyr's. I just want to get away from the old single set screw barrel design as I seem to be having zero shifts from day to day with temperature changes. I was concerned about having the extra cut in the housing too. I thought it might let in more crud, but I have no problem taking it apart more frequently to clean as long as the temperature shift is solved.

Thanks again for your input. I look forward to seeing you guys in Germany!

Harold

7. PaulD

PaulD I like Feinwerkbau's

Club:
    Tawd Vale FT&ARC
    I think I'll stay out of this one then :rolleyes:

8. JEV

JEV Member

Club:
    Purley Chase FTC
    Are you saying the TM1000 is a more reliable gun than the Steyr. Cant speak for the TM1000, but if you have been lubricating the hammer on youre Steyr that may explain the 'finnickey' nature of youre gun.

9. James0807

James0807 Member

Club:
    Rivington Riflemen
    Hmmmmm, no lubricants any where near the hammer on my steyr. only alcohol wipes each month!

yes I am saying it is more reliable!

10. JEV

JEV Member

Club:
    Purley Chase FTC

Personally I prefer the FWB P 70 to the Steyr LG110 but I am in the minority on that one.

I have 2 Steyr, LG100 & LG110 and they are both perfectly reliable and very accurate. The new long Steyr FT is on my shopping list as the balance is closer to that of the P70

The new long Steyr has had a few issues with the muzzle break which are resolved now. It also has an upgraded trigger unit although it is minor and little different to shoot. Curiously some owners are having them cut down to the length of the older guns so it may be worth being sure the balance suits you before buying one.

There is no doubt that the TM1000 is a supreme airgun after all it won the 100m bench rest championship.
    See here:
    http://100mairgun.nl/post/2013/03/GertJan-wint-100m-wedstrijd-Almelo-met-RAW-TM1000.aspx

Last edited: Mar 30, 2013
  11. PaulD

Club:
    Tawd Vale FT&ARC
    Nope i totally agree, my P70 is better engineered, better built and more accurate. The only reason i use the Steyr is the fact its a lot lighter and easier to use in the standing shots. My Steyr is the first and last i will ever buy.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2013
  12. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    Paul,
    You won the B grade GP series by a huge margin and went into AA grade using your new Steyr.

There were 4 standing shots per 50 target course, that's quite a small percentage gain, for a gun I your opinion that is drastically inferior to your P70.

Imagine what you'll achieve when you use your P70 this season! ;)

13. PaulD

Club:
    Tawd Vale FT&ARC
    I won "B" grade despite using the Steyr Conor not because of. When its on song its deadly but i was chasing the velocity all year. Ask anyone who knows me and they will tel you i had to chrono and adjust the rifle each and every shoot! its taken me 12months of fiddling to get it to perform the way it should have done out of the box ;)
    the reg was sent back to Harry Preston to be adjusted correctly, i had to sleeve the barrel as the hole in the breech is 1.5mm bigger than the barrel, the muzzle brake is also 1.5mm bigger than the barrel and had to be sleeved to centralised, its had a new firing valve fitted, the hammer had to be de-greased and ive floated the barrel to stop shift. Surely you shouldnt have to do this with an £1900 so called premium FT rifle? Luckily i am capable of doing all these jobs myself, imagine the heart ache for someone who had to have other people do these jobs. To be honest Conor im hoping the new Air Arms rifle will be as good as is being claimed, if it is the Steyr will be sold. I would love to use the P70 but its just far to heavy for a decrepid old duffer like me to carry around a 50 shot FT course.

14. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    for a decrepid old duffer like me ?
    I'll agree with that statement paul ??? HOLLY:D

15. nemesis

nemesis 55yrd standing expert, or was it 8 or 9?

Totaly agree with the above.

16. HotShot

HotShot Active Member

Club:
    Redfearns FTC
    You know you want a Walther ;)

17. nemesis

nemesis 55yrd standing expert, or was it 8 or 9?

Most definitely Dave.

18. JEV

JEV Member

Club:
    Purley Chase FTC
    Glad to meet another P70 fan. Agree with you on the engineering and accuracy, never shot better groups at 50m with any other gun. Trigger release like snaping thin glass as all FWB triggers. cant be beaten. Like the balance, thaty why I shoot it but it needs a light scope.

Steyr is stil a great gun though I have not owned the new model. Have shot one locally which had a few minor problems from new.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
  19. springer34

springer34 anschutz 9003

I love my p70 ive had a few rifles and still got a few my favourite is my Anschutz 2020 then the p70 but the more im useing thr p70 the closer its getting to my 2020... i like the weight as i have a light burris on top, the steyrs look ok and shoot good but ive never wanted 1,;) hey jev im moving around the 15th my anschutz needs its body back!!:D

20. PaulD

Club:
    Tawd Vale FT&ARC
    Well just to prove the point my Steyr let me down yet again today :eek:o
    We had the last round of our winter GP series plus the NW championship shoot today so it was all to play for.
    Checked the Steyr over the chrono first thing after letting the rifle acclimatise for 45mins only to find the velocity varying from 740-800fps :eek: it usually runs at 775? I double checked by using the club chrono just incase mine was playing silly boogers! Looks like yet another strip down is on the cards but as I'm set to be away from home all week and wont have time before I'm going to have to use the Feinwerkbau for the inters at the weekend. I think the time has come for me to admit defeat and bolt the March onto the FWB.