Steyr LG110 HP grey foam thing

Discussion in 'Steyr' started by robt, Jan 18, 2014.

1. robt

robt Member

Club:
    BFTO. Camberley Rifle & Pistol Club
    Hi Team,

Just bought a 4 year old LG110 HP privately, GinB FT stock, Evolution butt plate & Tasco Custom Shop 8-40x56.

Into the workshop last night and found it was running significantly hot with JSB Exact 8.44's so followed the excellent Steyr videos to turn it down. Why doesn't Air Arms do this instead of sticking that stupid anti tamper on so you can't get legal. When I received my brand new AA410 and crono'd it, that it was also running hot so had to send it straight back. Before you ask, yes I have had my crono checked against a new Chrony and it's very close.

Anyway, my question, what does the little circle of grey foam do apart from get caught in the the breech every time I cock the gun? Can I remove it without the gun self destructing?:)

Thanks, Rob.

2. little steph

little steph Captain Pussycat

Club:
    Lains Shooting School
    Haven't had mine in there for years... After it disintegrated into a million pieces after a particularly wet and muddy shoot....(I have no idea what it is for though!!) my gun has been fine without it.....

3. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics
    Get a pellet stuck in there during a competition with the clock counting down and you'll soon know why it's there. ;)

Gun functions perfectly fine without it though.

4. BDL

BDL Dangerous

Club:
    Blaenau Gwent
    It's for exactly the point Conor made, pure and simple stops pellets and other bits getting stuck down the side.

5. sportsmatch

sportsmatch Member

Club:
    Quarry Rifles
    first thing I threw away more of a moisture trap

6. UnSean

UnSean Banned

Club:
    Prefer a gun to a club! Castle
    Unless your daft or a Pilchard you don't need it, if you get a pellet stuck you just flip the gun and it will drop out, simple really.

Sean

7. robt

robt Member

Club:
    BFTO. Camberley Rifle & Pistol Club
    Thanks for replies guys,

I couldn't see how it would be that important but it seemed a little second rate when you look at the superb engineering of the rest of the gun. Only trouble now is people will expect me to actually hit some targets, damn, need another excuse. :D

8. PaulD

PaulD I like Feinwerkbau's

Club:
    Tawd Vale FT&ARC
    The problem is that in the heat of the moment you may not notice that the pellet isn't seated in the barrel and then try to close the breech! the pellet gets so mangled that it can be a bugger to get out! (don't ask how I know )

9. UnSean

UnSean Banned

Club:
    Prefer a gun to a club! Castle
    Paul, I once, when a full tinned Pilchard had a pellet trapped there, not realising it was stuck under the breech loaded another pellet the gun closed and worked fine, as I reloaded I saw a crushed pellet underneath the breach flicked it out no problems. :D

Sean