1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steyr LG110 Ft - interesting review & read..

Discussion in 'Steyr' started by JasonGoldsmith66, Apr 15, 2010.

1. JasonGoldsmith66

JasonGoldsmith66 Banned

Oct 31, 2009
    - Collectors Club -
    http://www.severi.be/airgunning/Steyr LG110FT.htm

by Mario Severi

[I]" Introduction

I mainly shoot field target (FT) these days and attend quite a few FT-matches in Belgium, the Netherlands and - occasionally - Germany. Back then in September 2008, I needed a compact gun that I could put in a small guncase so it wouldn't take up all the space in the boot of my car. How many reasons for buying another airgun can you come up with ;-) ? Anyway, with the required specs being suitable for FT and compact, the choice was obvious, it had to be the Steyr LG110FT Connect because of its take-down capabilities.

Next question was where to buy the gun. I absolutely wanted the buy this gun from a source I could trust and which would give me excellent service if needed. Jan Bout, former president of DFTA, directed me to Hans Manders of www.goedschot.nl ( a Steyr maintenance and service point in the southern part of the Netherlands) and this proved to be excellent advice. After exchanging a few e-mails and having spoken to Hans on the phone, it was clear that Hans was very helpful and would go the extra mile if needed to help his customers so I ordered the gun from him.

The Steyr LG110FT Connect arrived in a gun case that looked way to small to have a gun inside. Nevertheless, when I opened the case, everything was there ... in parts ;-). The gun comes with a filling adapter, set of tools, manual, test card (at 50 m !) and the optional weaver bridge I ordered together with the gun.

I was pleasantly surprised to see that the test card was shot at 50 m. The only gun I had in the past that came with a test card was the EV2 and that test card was shot at 25 m. Now most PCP's shoot one holers at 25 m so a test card at 25 m is a bit on the safe side and doesn't tell you much about the real potential of the gun. But not so with Steyr, they supplied a 50 m test card showing the real potential of the gun's accuracy !

The next surprise was that the test card was shot with JSB Express pellets. I would have expected JSB Exacts. Just having bought 20 tins of JSB Exacts, this was not what I was hoping for ;-).

Getting ready

Assembling the gun is very easy, just slide the back part of the gun in the main frame, tighten an allen key and that's it. Even when assembled, the gun is still surprisingly compact.

Next I adjusted the trigger to my personal taste which was not difficult to do as it is explained nice and clear in the manual. I also adjusted the stock to suit me as good as possible. The stock has so many possible adjustment that you can go on and on, trying different settings but after some time I decided the settings were more than adequate for my needs.

Since the gun was going to be used for FT, I put one of my Big Nikko's on top of it.

The loading mechanism of the Steyr LG110FT works flawlessly. The sidelever cocking action is a delight to use; it operates very smoothly, revealing the loading port. The pellet is loaded directly into the barrel. I very much prefer it this way as you can feel when you have a bad pellet with a too loose fit. Thumb the pellet into the barrel, close the cocking lever and you are ready to fire.

A nice feature is that you can practise your trigger technique without wasting air as the Steyr has a dry fire mechanism. Cock the gun, and close the side lever but not completely. You can now operate the trigger but you will only hear a faint ping since no air will be discharged.

At the back of the action sits the external power adjuster. It's basicly an extented screw that adjusts the tension on the hammer spring. This screw has some tiny holes in it so you can rotate the screw by putting a small pin in one of the holes and rotate the screw. Ofcourse a suitable pin for this is supplied with the gun.

This comes in very handy to make some small adjustment to the power of the gun without having to disassemble the gun partially. Having said that, I didn't have to use it as the gun was set at a perfect 11.5 fpe. But it's nice to know it's there if needed.

Since I had quite a supply of JSB Exacts pellets and had been using these pellets for several years in most of my other guns, I started testing the LG110FT with the Exacts. But immediately it was clear that the Exacts were not extremely accurate in the Steyr; they were more or less acceptable at 25 m (but not stellar) but at 50 m the groups were way too big. Fortunately I had won a tin of JSB Express at an FT-match so I started testing these and after 2 or 3 5-shot groups at 50 m, the groups became very nice and comparable to the one on the test card. No doubt I needed to use the Express pellets in the Steyr.

On a sidenote: I have been testing the Express pellets in my other guns since then and I like them better than the Exacts in most of my guns. I get way less flyers with the Express pellets than with the Exact pellets.

Since then, I have been nothing but impressed but the accuracy of my LG110FT. It's by far the most accurate FT gun I ever had and it shoots small groups at 50 m seemingly effortless.

It took me some time to get used to the ergonomics of the Steyr in the field. I have always shot with the thumbs up technique and that is no longer possible with the 10 m match style gun that the Steyr is. Also, before I had the Steyr, I shot FT with a Ripley AR5s with a Paul Wilson FT stock. If you have never used a Paul Wilson stock, you can't imagine how comfortable these stocks are. You can rest your cheek against the cheek piece and fall asleep, it's that comfortable ;-). In comparison with that, the Steyr feels ... how to say it ... harsh. However, it became rapidly clear this was not as negative as it sounds. In the sitting position, the cheekpiece of the Steyr really "bites" in my cheek but for some reason, this does result in a more steady aim, at least for me. So after I got used to the feel of the Steyr, I started to hit more targets than ever before.

I also get a higher hit percentage for the standers and kneelers. The lock time of the Steyr is very fast which seems to suit me better for the standers and kneelers. I still miss the shots way too often, but only the shooter is to blame for that.

There's one thing I don't like about the Steyr, and that is that they all look the same ;-). So to avoid picking up the wrong gun at an FT-match, I had to personalise my Steyr a tiny bit. So I made a nice looking muzzle brake on my lathe that fortunately didn't ruin the accuracy.

What started as a "I need a compact FT gun" has turned into an unexpected love affair. I never liked the 10 m match style FT guns but this Steyr LG110FT Connect has changed this. I have been shooting this gun for over 1.5 year now (since September 2008) and the longer I have and shoot it, the more it grows on me. I even started to appreciate its looks ;-). But what I like most is its performance, I know that the pellet goes were I send it; when I miss I know it's not the gun. And on top of that, there is the tremendous level of customer service from both the people at Steyr ( www.steyr-sportwaffen.at ) and Hans Manders of www.goedschot.nl .

The Austrian Alps are my favourite holliday destination, now my favourite FT gun is Austrian too ;-).

April 14, 2010 by Mario Severi "
  2. Jon

Jon Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Nr Wolvo
    Well he has had an AR5S on order since 3rd quarter of last year and collecting next month.
  3. Mario

Mario New Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Indeed I do, Jon ;). I have shot a AR5s with a Paul Wilson stock for some time and really like these guns too. I bought that Ripley secondhand and decided I wanted a brand new one so I ordered a new one and sold my old AR5s.

I also have a second Steyr, albeit an HP ;). Parts are on it's way to convert it to the FT version though.

Just to say I like both Steyr and Ripley very much :cool:.