Steyr LG110 FT 2014 Barrel

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by Sundance, Aug 3, 2015.

1. Sundance

Sundance Member

Is there a better barrel to go on the Steyr LG110 FT 2014 than the standard barrel?

I hear people talk about a barley twist, BSA and CZ barrel as a more accurate alternative....

I'm interested in seeking views before I go chasing a myth and possibly wasting money.

2. Ratinator

Ratinator Well-Known Member

Club:
    Millride FTC / Nomads
    Accuracy

What's up with your 2014 barrel?

3. Sundance

Sundance Member

Hi Simon

Nothing is up with it mate...nothing in particular...

I've had it since February, still have to clean it every 50 shots or so before the groups open up but apart from that its OK...I'm told it takes a while for the nickel lining to get lapped smooth.

So many variables involved in accuracy it's hard to pin down... on a windless day the groups are fairly tight, but then it's rare to get to shoot on a still day and I do not have access to an indoor range.

I hear tales of better barrels and so I thought I would ask the question...

4. Ratinator

Club:
    Millride FTC / Nomads
    Better barrel

What makes a better barrel?
    Not pellet fussy, no need to clean it puts pellet on pellet every time , I don't know.
    If it knocks over tin chickens when you aim in the right place then what does it matter?
    It's all part of the FT experience tinkering but it will cost you results. I have a nice consistent gun now and I leave it alone , and the results speak for themselves my best run since I started
    In FT .
    If it ain't broke don't fix it.
    Simon.

5. Sundance

Sundance Member

Fair point mate...

Some pretty good shooters it seems do not share your view though....some do change and 'upgrade' their barrels and I'm interested in what persuaded them to make that choice...

6. eyewitnesss

eyewitnesss Government Spy

Club:
    Redfearn FTC
    They just cannot help themselves if it shoots great they strip it to find out why??????

7. Ratinator

Club:
    Millride FTC / Nomads
    Confidence

They have the best rifle with the best barrel the best batch of pellets and the best scope money can buy, couple that with ability and you have a winner.
    They take out all the variables and only leave the nut behind the butt to blame .
    Has a specific barrel won comps or the confident talented shooter that was pointing it?

8. Sundance

Sundance Member

Has a specific barrel won comps or the confident talented shooter that was pointing it?

I think that there are lots of variables and equipment is part of the picture. Each and every part has a role to play to a greater or lesser extent..

I've no idea if a specific barrel that is an upgrade has been very successful... it's why I'm asking the question

I believe that a number of World and European winners have used 'upgraded' non standard barrels and I'm interested to hear if anyone thinks that the standard Steyr barrel can be improved upon..

9. Welsh Wizard

Welsh Wizard My Backs Gone! Staff Member

Club:
    Oaktree
    I believe simon ayres is using the as supplied steyr barrel.
    he does ok with his.

whenever you have any doughts about your set up, get a better shooter to test it.

10. Yorkshiretea

Yorkshiretea B Grade Bandit

Club:
    Anston FTC
    That's true, fresh out of the box. Shot around with him at Oxon, amazing shot and top fella.

11. berty177

berty177 Judge Diva

Club:
    Nelson FTC
    Stick with the barrel

Simon,

I've stayed with the standard barrel on my steyr, yes I clean it often but it is awesome when it's clean..

I've got spare barrels I could try but I'm not going to... I'll stick with the standard barrel it came with..

Berty

12. azuaro

azuaro Senior Member

Sundance: Please read # 7 in this thread:
    http://www.shooting-the-breeze.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27433

Regards,

AZ

13. Sundance

Sundance Member

Steyr Barrel

Thanks for the replies...

It is a chore to clean the barrel as often as every 50 pellets. I've tried VFG felts for cleaning and also I have a Napier pull through kit.

The Napier kit seems to give better results, tighter post clean groups but I wonder about inserting a metal loop into the barrel....

Any thoughts on these or other cleaning techniques?

I estimate that since the rifle was new it's had 3 to 4 thousand pellets down it but the groups still open up after about 50 shots..

14. DEAN C.

DEAN C. Steyr Convert

Club:
    Emley Moor FTC
    That's fine if you have a good barrel that seems to group well and respond to a reasonable cleaning regime,but it seems a lottery as to how Steyr barrels perform regarding cleaning/accuracy.

I know an owner that recently sold his new Steyr due to it losing accuracy after 50 shots and he tried all the usual cleaning methods. The next owner gave up and bought another barrel, so I can fully understand where Sundance is coming from. But, I also think the tighter turns in the Steyr rifling are an advantage if you have a good one.

Luckily my 7 year old Steyr I have just bought seems to have a very good barrel that is quite accurate with most pellets, and after a full tin I have only cleaned it once, and it seems to be holding accuracy well over its first three competitions

Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
  15. chrisc

chrisc Lucky git

I'm the same as Dean above. My barrels are both standard 45cm and group really well with most pellets and need a few felts through after a tin of pellets and a pull through once per month. Mind you I do know some very good Steyr shooters that do well with the standard barrel and also some that have changed barrels. I have also heard rumbles about some of the 2014 ish barrels being a bit difficult to get to group...especially the longer 55cm ones.

16. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    I got fed up with cleaning mine every 50 or so shots... so did some testing with others... first two barrels i tried were Lothar Walther, both were as good as the original, i picked the one that seemed to be slightly better. It's had about 300 shots through it and hasn't budged or spat the dummy. I won't be seriously grilling it till after the worlds, but so far it's looking like it's solved the issue, but then it's only seen 300 shots. I'll be more convinced when I've shot a season without a clean like I can do with a Walther.

It hasn't been recrowned, just machined to fit and a lead-in put in.

We've got some others to play with to see how they perform, but this one is so sweet I can't let go of it. Both my originals were good when clean, although one needed shooting in after a clean for 20 shots, then was good for 20, then went off after another 20... the new one is good 1-2 shots after, but goes off say 70 shots later... no warning, just a subtle shift in POI down and then the fliers come. Clean, it's back to silly tight groups.

17. Sundance

Sundance Member

I wonder if the barrel twist rate is a significant factor between the Steyr barrel and some of the 'upgrades' some are changing to?

I'm told the Steyr barrel has a twist rate of 1:15 cms

18. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    No idea. I tried to measure the rate on the new one but it's quite hard to do even with felts.

19. Sundance

Sundance Member

Machine to fit...

Thinking about giving a BSA blank a try, would anyone be able to recommend someone to machine one to fit please?

20. rich

rich Active Member

Could you fit a 65cm barrel from a Steyr Hunting 5?