Steyr LG110 FT (2011 model) problems

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by PaulD, Jan 18, 2012.

1. PaulD

PaulD I like Feinwerkbau's

Club:
    Tawd Vale FT&ARC
    My new Steyr 110 is suffering from POI shift despite me floating the barrel. I've noticed the barrel is a VERY loose fit in the breech and I'm beginning to think this is the problem. Talking to other Steyr owners they all seem to be the same. Is there a reason for this poor fit? I'm considering turning the end of the barrel down and shrinking a sleeve on which is the correct size for a nice sliding fit in the the breech. Any thoughts on this? has anyone else suffered similar problems?
    PaulD

2. HotShot

HotShot Active Member

Club:
    Redfearns FTC
    Why would you invalidate the warranty - if there is a problem - get it fixed by the manufacturer (assuming you bought it new?)

A few Steyr owners have been getinmg POI problems due to the new design air stripper - I think they have had pellet clipping problems.

Dave.

3. Lloyd_D

Lloyd_D New Member

Regarding the super Steyr air stripper. If you look down the muzzle with the breech open and a torch light shining up the barrel you will see something a little scary :D

The muzzle brake is held on via grub screws on only 1 side. Therefore the muzzle brake will always be pushed one way taking up the tolerance :eek:

4. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics
    Grub screws on both sides of my brake, do you mean that only one of them is holding it in place??

5. PaulD

PaulD I like Feinwerkbau's

Club:
    Tawd Vale FT&ARC
    Yes I've already sorted that one by wrapping a .010" shim around the muzzle and then putting the stripper on over that. I turned a plastic tool up that fits in the barrel and through the stripper cones to make sure the stripper is central before I nip the grub screws up. It seems very poorly engineered in my opinion as they all seem to be the same!

6. Cooperman

Cooperman New Member

Did the same as you Paul.

I read somewhere that some good quality 3M cellotape is just the right size for taking up the play and robust enough to stand up to removal/refitting.

As Lloyd says, if you shine a torch you can see it pulls to one side which is then very close to clipping.

If I remember right my barrel circumference was in the region fo 15.95mm whilst the stripper measured up at 16.05mm. The stripper cone hole was 4.8mm so only gives you 0.15mm to play with either side on a 4.50mm pellet.

Using some shim to take up this minute amount of play and now it fits perfectly central, so much so that I didn't need to rezero after a quick test on the range.

Don't know why Steyr put this extra "slack" in the fit but wondered if it had anything to do with fitting one on the Hunter model with it's black barrel. Not measured the circunference of the Hunter barrel yet but according to Rowan Engineering they are slightly larger due to the black paint/powdercoat.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2012
  7. rogb

rogb Señor Member

It is to allow for the coating, I believe
    :)