Steyr H5A 5. shot always off

Discussion in 'Steyr' started by Hubertus, Aug 8, 2018.

1. Hubertus

Hubertus New Member

Hello Guys,

i received my used H5A yesterday and the 5. shot is alway "much" slower then the other 4.

it is like that:

yeees, im limited in my current location!

it looks like i got a good working regulator but the last shot gives me a poi shift
    i got 2 magazines and with one it is a bit better but still not acceptable.
    what can cause this ? i aligned the barrel to the magazines (like in the steyr video)
    im feeling no air blast from the magazine slot while shooting!
    do i just need some more magazines for matching to the rifle ? i think small differences in machining them could make a big impact ?!

the trigger adjustments are like on the LP5 ? i did not found any manual for the H5A - is one available ?
    i also read that the trigger can be adjusted wrong so malfunction or 2 shots with one pull can happen ? true ?

so far this forum is the best source to find informations - i spend many hours in reading here before buying the gun :)

2. chrisc

chrisc Lucky git

It does sound like the mag but i wouldn't expect you to have the same problem with 2 different mags. A certain amount of air is used to 're-cock' so it could be something mechanical.....although it happening on the 5th shot each time is too consistant for it to be a mechanical problem (reg/hammer/spring). I would contact Steyr direct and see if you can send your mag for them to check or at least get one swapped for one they've checked?

I think you might need to re-set your barrel again. Thinking about it now i suspect that your mag is slightly out of alignment. The mis-alignment might be getting worse as you go from shots 1-4 with a very gradual increase in mis-alignment per shot but still with enough tolerance for a good shot but at shot 5 the tiny mis-alignment might have increased as your mag moves and at shot 5 it's enough to give you a dropped power shot.

3. simmmo

simmmo Member

Hi I tried the barrel re setting and got mine to cycle the magazine perfectly but at a much reduced velocity. Sent it back to the factory and came back with the same fault so
    that was a waste of time and money. I know people don't like silicone grease but I fixed mine by putting the tiniest amount on the magazine surfaces that contact the receiver. Problem solved for me. Like Chris said the magazine appears to torque as it approaches the end of it's travel causing binding.

Andy

4. Hubertus

Hubertus New Member

i have re-set the barrel 918374 times today. 4 hours - waste of time.
    it is sometimes consistent but only for 1-3 magazines - even the 5. shot. small success! but only with one magazine. the second one seems to be a bit bigger because its getting stucked for the first 2 shots.
    after 5 - 15 shots with the better magazine its getting BAD again. i screwed it in with various force - like hulk, normal, .... it does not matter.
    silicone grease is way to sticky. did not worked!

im waiting for a third magazine and looking for a good method to grind/sand the "bad" magazine a bit. need a really straight surface for that and a very light sanding...

5. simmmo

simmmo Member

The silicone grease was applied thus. The tiniest dot between my finger and thumb rubbed together to disperse then the magazine rubbed against finger and thumb thus applying a microscopic amout of grease to the magazine, invisible to the naked eye, fixing the problem. I tried a light machine oil first this quickly disperssed and the magazine would fail after a few cycles. Never had it fail with the silicone. But I have sold it now so can't comment on its longevity but certainly worked for me. I used the one plumbers use for O rings.

Andy

6. bootneckbob

bootneckbob Active Member

Club:
    Bideford, Shebbear
    I had this happen to me when I started using 7.9s in it rather than 8.4s. I resized the pellets but that wasn't the issue. I did reset the barrel as per the video. It didn't seem like I'd moved it at all but it worked fine afterward. Not sure what caused it but was easilly sorted for me.

7. maxtich

maxtich Member

I had very similar problems to my .22 fac 29 FTe H5 Self-Indexing.
    I couldn’t work out why the 4-5 shots would be way out,tried new barrel/adjusting and various pellets but no joy.
    It was taken back by Steyr UK and refunded in full.
    I’m pretty sure the magazines are to blame as I found some pellets were tighter to push in than others!
    In my last conversation i had with Styer they said the company thinks the problem may be their barrels!
    HTH

8. Hubertus

Hubertus New Member

I got the solution - for me it is working.

its the small adjuster on the side located at the magazine slot.
    im not really sure what it exactly adjusts but i guess it has something to do with the self indexing mechanics because if you turn it in too far its shooting 2 shots with one trigger pull.
    is it not adjusted correctly, the whole magazine block can wiggle a bit - mine was wiggling just a little bit!
    i think it is also adjusting the exact aligning between magazine and barrel but im not sure about this pont.

i have three magazines (two of them sanded / grinded a bit smaller) but ALL of them are now running properly. the spread is about + / - 1,5 -2 meter per second now.

Attached Files:

Lavant_Lad likes this.