Steyr FT pellet loading

Discussion in 'Steyr' started by Kenp, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Kenp

Kenp New Member

Just received my new steyr LG110FT.
    I fitted the Steyr scope rail and scope, then tried to load a pellet, what an ordeal this was, there was no design consideration for pellet loading when upping the power and adding a scope rail to the standard LG.
    The Standard LG with peep sights can be loaded from the top of the breech, but when you add a scope rail then you have to load from the side which is difficult at best.
    Has anyone else noticed this?

2. burjaka

burjaka Member

Club:
    CT Sousel - Portugal
    Congratulations on your new rifle.
    I'm a left hand, and I have to load in the rigth side (large side wheel) so loading with the right hand was a bit dificult, but now it is a second nature....

Keep shooting, in a few days it will be a second nature for you to.

Cheers.

3. sportsmatch

sportsmatch Member

Club:
    Quarry Rifles
    NO unless you got fingers like pigs tits:D
    I will have no problem later
    I have shot with rail and without still no problem just have to learn the knack

Gary

4. merc350

merc350 Just wants to shoot...

Club:
    Emley FTC
    it just takes some getting used to:)

5. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    Lucky you didn't get an EV2, I simply can't load them (fat thumbs)! Direct loading into the barrel like the Steyr is best IMO, you can feel and see a deformed pellet as it enters into the barrel, you can quickly and easily check you have loaded, you know there is only one pellet loaded and indeed you know the pellet has been loaded the correct way around, all problems I have had with various other rifles!

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  6. greyskullnz

greyskullnz Non member

It took some time to get used to loading a .177 pellet into that breech. After a while it was easier. Now its automatic and I can look and conctrate on other things while doing it. It comes down to familiarity.

Direct breech loading is something you either love or hate. I hate it, but appreciate it for its benefits.

I got a blood blister on my thumb at Worlds 2009 SA after 4-5 days pushing pellets into a leade reamed for longer pellets than the JSB Exact. (set up for Barracudas in the factory) But getting them properly placed means eliminating a host of problems downrange.

Pretty good system overall. Depends what you are used to prior to getting the Steyr....

Also agree being able to see if there is a pellet up the spout or not is a big safety factor when clearing to leave the firing point.

GS

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2012
  7. Delphinus

Delphinus New Member

Club:
    CTC
    You can't change the rifle and there s no point fight against it, shoot as much as you can and soon you will adapt.

Like Burjaka I m left handed and load with the right hand only have problems when loading prone.

If you still have problems you can try a scope rail or extensions.

Welcome to Shooting the Breeze

8. Andre98k

Andre98k New Member

Club:
    FTI Italia - Umbria
    Just get used to that.
    It will take a few days.

9. CoolId

CoolId New Member

What surprised me when I looked carefully was the number of times I got a pellet in backwards. Getting the knack now

Best wishes

Dave

10. Delphinus

Delphinus New Member

Club:
    CTC
    Probably you have a 24J barrel it s easy to prevent that.

11. PaulD

PaulD I like Feinwerkbau's

Club:
    Tawd Vale FT&ARC
    Yup its a real pain in the bum :( i shoot left handed and use an Anschutz glove with finger tips missing to help with loading and i have to use both hands :confused: I poke my forefinger from my left hand through the sidewheel and two finger the pellet into the breech, i miss my Daystate GP with a simple pellet tray :rolleyes: