Steyr FT barrels and pellets...

Discussion in 'Steyr' started by astra, Jan 20, 2020.

1. Simonix

Simonix Active Member

Club:
    Hereward FT
    I will stand by my first post on this thread.

My Challenge doesn’t like JSB pellets.

I tried H&N Barracuda FT, it loves them.

Makes great groupings at 55 yards (50m).

Yes they drop more than 8.44gr pellets. They will do, because they’re heavier.

Is that a problem for ME, shooting FT? No.

If I miss a target (or 10), it’s me, not the pellets or my rifle.

Try them out Astra. If your gun likes them too, then happy days. If not, try some other brand/types.

garym and astra like this.
  2. astra

astra Active Member

And what I've learned from life is that life lessons are always not for free. You always pay for life lessons. And this is not necessarily bad. You will always remember better what you have paid for :)
    Thanks Conor! Really "the post of the year"! :)

3. astra

astra Active Member

I'll try them for sure, I paid them and they are on the way to me. The issue is the very mixed feelings but will clarify them on the range.
    Simon, I have a question to you. Does the calculated by the ChairGun curve suit the baracuda FT or it needs manual re-correction?

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
  4. C.Eaton

C.Eaton Confirmed Anschutz Nut...

Club:
    Springfield / TEGC
    First rule of the internet is don't believe anything you read on forums...;)

Seriously though there are no generalisations, especially with the best food for your rifle.
    Quite simply the best pellet, is the best pellet you find works in your barrel, not what others recommmend.

There is no shortcut to Nivernia, you have to put in the work to reap the benefits and if that means testing 100 different pellets because you have a fussy barrel, then so be it.
    I would say though that generally every pellet exits the barrel, the hard bit is what happens then.
    Also bear in mind that a particular pellet that is a shotgun at 50yds, may tighten into a one hole group by adjusting the velocity up or more usually down by 10-20fps, there is absolutely no benefit to run your rig at 15.999J.

So in other words, don't discount a 'bad' pellet immediately, work at it, drop / raise the fps, try unlubed or lubed or even shock horror give the barrel a good clean if nothing seems to be working.
    Gaining accuracy and consistency can't be bought, it takes research and work, but like anything, once you find that magic formula that works the sense of personal satisfaction cannot be beaten...:D

5. Simonix

Simonix Active Member

Club:
    Hereward FT
    I used the ChairGun settings and it was fine. I did double check the BC number from google though I think?

Also, they are a tighter fit in the breech than JSB.

like I say, they work well for me and my rifle.

astra likes this.
  6. garym

garym Active Member

Astra, just had a rummage in my toy room.
    I have 5 unopened tins of H&N Baracuda FT, different head sizes, different batch number etc. If you want samples, I will send you say 100 from each tin. I will mark them 1-5 so you are not HEAD sized intolerant.
    Just a gift, no charge, just a experiment. If any work with your barrel, I will tell you the batch, head size etc. Send me your delivery address and you will have them the next day.
    If you find something that works, great. You will owe me a tin of pilchards ;). If H&N do not agree with your barrel, I want 1st option when you change it.:D

astra likes this.
  7. madplinker

madplinker Active Member

I have to give best post to Mr C Eaton never a truer word has been said.
    You have to do your own work astra and you will find the perfect combination between pellet and barrel there is no short cuts.
    What works for me may not work for you.
    Welcome to the joys of air gun shooting.
    Like said above when you have discovered what your rifle likes there is a lot of satisfaction to be had.
    We have all gone through the pain
    Apart from Conor who shoots pilchards through his and does quite well :);)

C.Eaton and astra like this.
  8. astra

astra Active Member

I would answer you with: "Welcome to the fun side of airguns, where nothing makes any sense!!! :D "
    I liked this slogan so much that I made it my signature :)

Blind test, isn't it Gary?
    Thanks for offer!
    My address already in PM to you.

madplinker likes this.
  9. C.Eaton

Club:
    Springfield / TEGC
    I hate to break the bad news but it's not just air-guns, it's shooting per se.
    I also shoot .22LR, .223, .38 & 7.62 target rifles, requiring their own research to get the ideal round for each rifle, that has taken on and off about 20 years but is ongoing as bullet technology improves.
    I enjoy the 'dark alchemy' of precision reloading almost as much as the shooting...;)

astra likes this.
  10. astra

astra Active Member

I guess everybody here, including me, has it's own memories of much better diabolos years ago, uncomparably better than the nowadays rubbish. So with bullets improving technology you have made the right choice of shooting projectiles. ;)

11. C.Eaton

Club:
    Springfield / TEGC
    You say that but in my experience you can have perfectly formed pellets and that doesn't necessarily translate into perfect performance. A good example of that for me was trying the QYS pellets, each one looks almost hand-lathed, no visible seams, weight consistency was perfect and yet out of my barrel I just couldn't get them to perform at any velocity.
    Yet take a rough looking JSB with a visible seam, dinks in the head, scuffed skirt and it performs perfectly, that's the fun of this game you just never know...;)

astra likes this.
  12. astra

astra Active Member

When I was young, never knowing the things in front was really fun and even gave a charming touch of life.
    Now I've grown old and not knowing the things i.e. no control over them, as a rule stresses and depresses me :(
    As to the JSBs and your thoughts about them I will quote a friends joke: JSB? They really make some nice batches, occasionally... :)

13. C.Eaton

Club:
    Springfield / TEGC
    Life is a learning process that never ends; remember nothing worth having was ever earned easily.
    All Champions make it look effortless because they have put the work in to be the best; there is no magic formula, just dedication and the mental edge that the trophy already has their name on it...;)

JSB went through a rough patch a few years ago but lately their production seems a lot more consistent.
    Air Arms and H&N have both been very good over the years, at least we have some good choice, when I started shooting a normal pellet was a Bulldog and if you wanted quality it was Eley Wasps, that was it .

RichWafta and astra like this.
  14. astra

astra Active Member

Back in 2015 I started with air guns with one amaizing rifle: Weihrauch HW100 FSB cal. 5,5, 35 Joules. Odd caliber and power but very accurate gun. The former owner gave me as a gift 10 tins of JSB pellets.
    It was my first encounter with a precise air rifle and good batch of pellets. It was not just fun but love I will always remember :)
    One sunny day the gifted pellets were gone... and the pain began...
    This days must have been the so called by you "rough patch" for JSB, because I spent so much effort and money chasing the good pellets batch that finally got tired and sold the gun. Then I was told that the past JSB production was really good compared to nowadays and could prove this from my own experience.
    About this Eley's I've heard many legends but could not put my hands on any tin, because as I was told, H&N bought the company and ruined the English quality just to eliminate the competition. Was it true or not, I don't know. Legends, just so many legends... :)

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  15. nemesis

nemesis 55yrd standing expert, or was it 8 or 9?

Said it a thousand times and I'll say it again , bringing back the OLD Webley Mosquito, all these new generation pellets are rubbish in comparison.

suds, MickyFinn and astra like this.
  16. astra

astra Active Member

Let me wake up the thread with one very specific question: what about the corrosion issue of the replacement LW blank barrels?
    I have a good friend of mine that told me a story.
    Past year in Poland at the World FT cup, there was a remarkably heavy rain. He had replaced his Steyr stock white barrel with a LW match one, that was razor sharp but... in the rain the replacement barrel became rusty on the inside and outside. So he had to clean it to survive and go on the next days of the World cup. Fortunately he was given WD40 and many tampons to do this action... The Steyr stock nickel plated barrels at least do not rust, do they? :)
    Do you guys have any (anti)corrosion experience with your LW replacement barrels?
    Thank you.

17. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    I once read on an internet forum that WD40 contained fish (pilchard) oil.
    How true this is I am not sure however I do know that blueing the barrel is a good form of rust resistance, as is painting the barrel. The inside of the barrel could not suffer from short term rust damage due to the light lead coating on the internal surfaces of the rifling.

Steyr powder coat (paint) their barrels to get the black colour.

Tell your good friend not to leave his steel barrel naked and protect it from rust by one of the above methods.

You can also tell him the story about WD40
    containing pilchard oil and the recent research claims it is a myth.

pbrown likes this.
  18. SpeckleD

SpeckleD Active Member

Club:
    Emley Moore, Northern Monkey HFT
    My barrel has just been blacked, not had any rust issues in or out, and it has had quite a few soakings.

19. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Yes the outsides go. The insides don't after they've been shot.

I've got a horrid picture of a barrel that had been blued at the factory with a massive rust spot where they hadn't washed the salts out. It wasn't an LW

20. hmangphilly

hmangphilly warm ember

Isp do a nice job of bluing

they ll probably do the machining too if you want a single supplier option

madplinker likes this.