Steyr / feinwerkbau

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by tony mccracken, Mar 14, 2019.

1. tony mccracken

tony mccracken Member

would any one no the sound levels of a Steyr lg110 and a feinwerkbau 800x or in decibels
    With out moderators fitted

2. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

Club:
    Redfearns & the UBC
    Don't know but I wouldn't fire one inside without hearing protection!

3. AlexS

AlexS Active Member

The FWB with the long shroud does a plopping sound, whereas the Steyr is sharper. The Steyr compensator intensifies the bang to a painful level inside.

cloverleaf likes this.
  4. Darron

Darron Dwarf Slayer

Club:
    Blackbrook FTC
    its an air rifle. nothing like the discharge of a firearm. why do you ask?

5. tony mccracken

tony mccracken Member

Having a hearing issues consultant that I am seeing has said any thing over 80 decibels continuously over 2 hrs he wouldn’t recommend I did say i shoot every 3/4 minutes per shot On a Saturday Would this class as continuously and he said yes

6. Ratinator

Ratinator 77.74

Club:
    Millride FTC / Nomads
    ;):rolleyes:Shroud or silencer , would have been a better question .

7. tony mccracken

tony mccracken Member

Why is that ? I want to no if it’s over 80 decibels then might ask that question shroud or silencer you would be better of reading what I wrote

8. hmangphilly

hmangphilly Floppy Quick Phil

Looks like you need hearing protection of some kind.

Ask your consultant what he recommends .

80 db is not particularly loud in my world .
    Db measurement is queer though .

We used to believe that , a 3db increase was considered to be double the noise level .
    It seems it's a bit more complicated than that ..........fair play if you can get through this lot ..........

Loudness volume doubling sound level change factor of perceived loudness decibel scale log compare intensities formula calculate power level noise levels volume logarithm dependence three four fold loudness sound - by what factor does level decrease dependence comparison decibel levels 3 dBSPL 6 dB 10 db double voltage sound pressure audio sound intensity acoustic power formula relationship decibels dB twice as loud two times double distance half level dependence auditory loudness formula sound noise loudness sound pressure intensity a-weighted twice as loud increase decrease SPL - sengpielaudio Sengpiel Berlin

9. tony mccracken

tony mccracken Member

I did ask consultant what I should use he said if I was to use the small pushing ear plugs they would reduce the sound level by 10/15 decibels but if it’s not over 80 decibels I should be ok this why I was trying to find out the noise level of these two rifles might invest in some kind of meter to gauge the sound level must stress this what he said about my ears

10. AlexS

AlexS Active Member

My Steyr is definitely over that level. Inside shooting gives me a ringing in the ear.

cloverleaf likes this.
  11. mike

mike Active Member

Club:
    Meon Valley Airgun Club MVAC
    Think that bit is slightly impersonal, as the reply to your question was made in good faith and as genuine help to your enquiry.

Personally having a Steyr, they are extremely loud especially when used indoors and can be a distraction to others.

Most forms of moderators/noise suppressor used on sub 12fpe air rifles will reduce the sound levels to below 70db and as low as 60db

If you are having any forms of hearing problems and continue loud noise is a problem, then there is a simple fix.... fit a moderator.

12. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

Club:
    Redfearns & the UBC
    Agreed. I chronoed my Steyr once in the house. Never again! I use earplugs when chronoing any pneumatic in the garage, even my Crosman pump up pistol. My springers are ok though.
    Even shooting my Steyr on a large indoor range (Doncaster airgun range) the crack was at unpleasant levels.

cloverleaf likes this.
  13. tony mccracken

tony mccracken Member

Sorry if you found impersonal however in the posting I was trying to find how loud the two rifles are if there under 80 decibels I don’t need protection quite often in postings people will take the posting of track

14. tony mccracken

tony mccracken Member

I never chrono my rifle in doors yes I no they have crack to them but it would be nice to no how loud they are

15. Ratinator

Ratinator 77.74

Club:
    Millride FTC / Nomads
    Think that bit is slightly impersonal, as the reply to your question was made in good faith and as genuine help to your enquiry.
    Thanks for the backing Mike ,not very often someone stands my corner .lol

I've been informed that if you own a smart phone ,you can down load a free decibel meter to it. " new thread I'm sure"
    It might not be 100% but it will be close.
    If what Mike has said about noise levels on a moderated rifle are correct ,id be surprised if a steyr is below the 100 mark.

16. tony mccracken

tony mccracken Member

I believe in the thread you was referring me to being impersonal to he refers to a shroud but I need to find out how loud the rifles are with out guessing so I might need to invest in some form of measuring device to gauge how loud my guns are that was my point

17. hmangphilly

hmangphilly Floppy Quick Phil

I'd use something to be on the safe side Tony

18. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Somewhere I do have a gauge. And a Steyr.

But that said it's very dependent on your enviroment and your position indoors. For instance I know that near a muzzle of a Steyr I can get quite a crack outdoors but in my indoor range there's a baffle that takes that away. There's also carpet behind. Yet if we move positon and shoot from a different position indoors where there isn't, you get a different sound level again. It completely depends on how the pressure wave propagates and that varies. The pressure wave is what the sound meter measures.

Another issue is you might be further away from your own rifle than someone else, or how far away do you want it measured? That will affect readings.

If you've got ear issues the best way to avoid that is to get some ear protection. Then it doesn't matter what rifles or enviroment you run into, because you won't be able to control that.

Waldo likes this.
  19. tony mccracken

tony mccracken Member

20. tony mccracken

tony mccracken Member

Thank you for advice every one Sorry if I might sound obnoxious the thread wasn’t ment to go that way probably brought it on myself I only shoot outside so might need to look into wearing protection I was told the little pushing earplugs would low the decibels 10/15 percent however if the rifle is hundred decibels could still be in trouble one of the other guys on here as mentioned a shroud yet I would still need to no the decibels with one of those fitted I do love my rifles would really hate to get rid of them