Steyr cocking lever

Discussion in 'Steyr' started by Simonev2, Mar 12, 2018.

1. Simonev2

Simonev2 Member

Club:
    Misfits
    good evening everyone I was testing my steyr challenge out today at the range and near the end of the day my cocking lever started to go rough pushing it back to the barrel any ideas what it could be.

2. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    I'd say your roller bearings are seizing. If they've been degreased and exposed to water they can start to snag. If you know how to strip the gun, get them off, polish them so they spin freely and the reassemble.

Might be worth checking the hammer isn't dragging on it while you're there, draw over the lower surface with a sharpie, reassemble, fire a few shots strip, see if the sharpie is marked.

You can grease the bearings but it then can transfer directly onto the hammer directly below. You could lube that also, but then you can see temp shift as the viscosity changes.

If the gun is kept clean and dry then there's very little wear. But keeping it like that is hard work with cocking slots allowing water and dirt to ingress directly into a potential problem area.

Once polished up and machined clear my bearings were never a problem again. But they bloomed up with surface rust when coming in from a cold damp shoot into a warm hotel room, and the condensation just got to them overnight. Next day it just got worse shot by shot. You can move the cocking tube by hand rather than using the lever which may help if you get the issue on a shoot, but stripping and solving it is the way otherwise it will just get worse.

bootneckbob and Yoeri_B like this.
  3. chrisc

chrisc Lucky git

Rob covered most of that....get it checked out as soon as possible as sometimes the bearing can work loose, it shouldn't happen but i've seen it twice now and the potential for damage if there's a problem can be that the run in the block can be damaged. Be gentle until you've taken it apart for a looky;)

See if you can borrow a decent magnifying glass/loupe and check the roller bearing for any shiny areas or flat spots, if it has then you may need to change it and if it's worn the cocking lever then that will need changing.

4. hmangphilly

hmangphilly Not quite a full phil

Wot they said .............^^^^^^