Steyr cocking bearing

Discussion in 'Steyr' started by RobF, Oct 6, 2014.

1. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Gun was heavy/refusing to cock.

Upon inspection, the roller bearings and cocking arm had surface rust, from getting wet the day before (i know it was clean before that, it was only apart 2 weeks ago). Think the roller bearings were locking up, although Brian's tip of moving cocking tube with fingers worked on opening, there wasn't enough space to close it in that manner.

So, questions...

1) how many bearing should move. I've got the 2mm allen bolt (i think it's allen) off and there's a lower bearing with a / angle cut in for the allen bolt, then one above. Does the upper ring move or is there just two bearings?

2) what keeps them moving and non rusty but doesn't wash or fall onto the hammer?

3) and it's just really a couple of metal collars that sit over a pin, rather than an actual roller bearing?

2. BDL

BDL Dangerous

Club:
    Blaenau Gwent
    Hi Rob

No2 I put a very thin bit of white gun grease on the cocking arm when it's open and spread it around with my fingers. I m hot sure if this is recommended or not but it seems to help it stay Smooth for me, usually do it every few weeks and after getting wet

Bri

3. RobF

Club:
    Ta Bri.

I'm just apprehensive with it sitting right above the hammer. It's the first place anything falls down into.

In that respect the steyr doesn't have the greatest design... big slots on sides, gap above hammer.

4. nemesis

nemesis 55yrd standing expert, or was it 8 or 9?

Rob only the centre one moves . Don't use any grease on it.Strip it all apart and soak it in VP 90.Make sure all the surfaces are free of rust and tarnish.
    Then lightly oil it once assembled with VP 90.Use a strong thread lock or super glue to lock it in place as if it comes undone in use it won't cock or latch properly.
    If the cocking arm is stiff or jambs in use check for wear on the cocking arm along the slot, it may be worn.
    Also check the chassis of the gun where the pivot pin makes contact.
    What can happen is that the cocking handle can dig into the chassis if the wrong o ring has been fitted to the pivot pin.It pushes the upper face of the arm to scuff along the chassis.
    If the alloy is all fecked use wet and dry to make it smooth again.
    It's a bit difficult to explain on here if you get stuck give us a ring tonight and I'll talk you through it.

5. RobF

Club:
    On the ally chassis above directly above where the pin with green o ring is there's a O shaped score in the ally. But no wear marks other than that.

Ta for the advice all.
    Seems the general thing is to keep some lubricant on them. But not enough that it gets elsewhere.

6. chrisc

chrisc Lucky git

If the drift pin is secure Rob then a new o ring may be needed.
    Item 24 o ring 2,9x1,8 o ring 2,9x1,8 block cocking lever 4001090021

I run my roller dry but when wiping down the action with a slightly oily cloth, rub onto the cocking lever faces and a quick sweep into the cocking lever roller bearing run.

7. fudge-1200

fudge-1200 New Member

Club:
    Castleton, FTC
    The Pin, can be pushed up slightly to help stop the bearing jumping off it.