Steyr barrle Question

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by Fox, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Fox

Fox Member

Hi, can some tell me how much longer the new barrle on the Steyr Lg110 is compared to the previous modle not including the Double cone Air Stirper.

Thanks

Clive

2. willo

willo Nikon Shooter

Club:
    Rivington Riflemen
    Just measured mine and it's 550mm long without the stripper.

3. Fox

Fox Member

Thanks for that your a star, dose it make much of a differece to the efficency in use of air??

4. willo

willo Nikon Shooter

Club:
    Rivington Riflemen
    Even with the new 100mm longer cylinder, I'm getting less shots than fellow steyr shooters with 2009 110's, and have been told that this is down to the hole in the transfer port being really small, ive not measured it but its only about 2mm diameter or maybe less.
    The adjustable power is presently turned right up to get about 11.6 ft/lbs
    This week I ordered a replacement t-port from a uk seller, with a hole size of 4.4mm, which is the same size as the old black ports from Steyr.
    The power will then need turning down, and ive been informed that this will equate to about 30 more consistant shots.
    When I fit the new port nxt week, i'll let you know the results Clive.
    BR
    Willo

5. Fox

Fox Member

Mine has the Green Transfer Port Wihch I belive is for the Uk market to keep it leagal I get around 80 shot from it.

Clive

6. wiseguy

wiseguy Active Member

Club:
    DFTA
    There is no green transfer port, what you see is the green seal inside the transferport.
    There are 3versions, the black large opening, the UK market silver and the Match golden colour.
    As the silver port is restricting the air flow too much, the gun uses/waistes too much air.
    Increasing the diameter hole to say 4mm (easy as its plastic) will increase shot count ( and speed as well.
    Regards,
    Rob

7. willo

willo Nikon Shooter

Club:
    Rivington Riflemen
    Plastic ?? Mine is the aluminium anodised gold coloured transfer port, with the really small hole. It probably restricts the flow even further than the uk silver, which I believe has about a 3mm dia hole.
    I have ordered a brass replacement with a 4.4 mm hole, should make quite a bit of difference to the shot count.
    BR
    Willo

8. wiseguy

wiseguy Active Member

Club:
    DFTA
    The gold coloured port is for 7.5J Match intended.....so looks like a desperate attempt to keep the gun under 12fpe at any time......
    Probably due to the longer barrel the silver port was not enough to keep it under 12fpe, so the gold type was used...
    I really don't understand why this is made this way, without additional changes to eg regulator pressure, hammer weight, valve and/or hammer spring to increase the shot count.
    I think with a few mods the shot count could be increased significantly, shorter hammer spring and lower reg pressure.
    The UK importer should raise these issues at Steyr to get this resolved, it's expensive enough.
    Regards,
    Rob

9. raygun

raygun Non member

The restricted transfer port was Steyr's attempt to restrict the power of the rifle to less than 12FPE, even when fitted with a power adjuster. You still get more than enough shots to shoot a comp.

This was done rather than fit any AT devices which others wanted them to do. I think Steyr should be applauded for this as you still get a rifle that you can set the power on without having to "Mod" it like a lot of other PCP's.

Having said that, BASC's interpretation of the legislation says that once a rifle goes over 12FPE it becomes Section 1 "Capable" anyway. How do other manufacturers of PCP's now power down rifles that have gone over power, or do they replace them ?

ATB
    Ray.

10. wiseguy

wiseguy Active Member

Club:
    DFTA
    Here is a comparison metween the 16J versus the 7.5J hammer springs fitted is Steyr FT and Match versions. You will see it's a bit shorter, but does not have an external V0 screw, so I guess if you start tweaking the lenght and lower the reg pressure to 70-75 bar, you might get an increased shot count per fill.
    Not everyone has the longer cilinder fitted and might bennifit from this.
    On the other hand, if the law/rules say you may not "be able to" get over 12fpe.....difficult in that case....I'm glad we (still) don't have the UK law over here.
    regards,
    Rob

Attached Files: