Steyr barrels vs wind!

Discussion in 'Steyr' started by Gunit-006, Dec 13, 2018.

1. simona

simona Active Member

I've got a Barley Twist barrel on my LG110. My results have been a bit inconsistent these last couple of years but the barrel's got nothing to do with that. It seems very accurate with just about any Exact batch dosen't seem to need cleaning and takes no more wind than the various Walther barrels I had on there before.

Conor and Lavant_Lad like this.
  2. Darron

Darron Dwarf Slayer

Club:
    Blackbrook FTC
    I think the barley twists are mega at the short ranges there made for they just don’t do FT ranges in my opinion

3. Lavant_Lad

Lavant_Lad Old Git.

Club:
    Redfearns FTC. & Steve Smith's Dinnington.
    I think John Costello would disagree with you Darron. :)

nemesis and Conor like this.
  4. simmmo

simmmo New Member

If we are talking Tin Chicken holes then the amount of wind is very subjective, I gave that a kill of wind and it fell over I gave it split and it fell over. The split went in at nine and the full kill at three. So unless we are comparing on paper at exactly the same time its hard to say.

I am going to ssteal someones theory here on why some take more than others and the theory is the castleation on the pellet skirt imprinted by the barrel. Deep equals a greater surface area so more for the wind to work on therefore more drift.

Monkey.

bootneckbob, panaman, Amac and 4 others like this.
  5. Darron

Darron Dwarf Slayer

Club:
    Blackbrook FTC
    I think John and I discussed this while we were in Italy earlier in the year and he didnt completely disagree. Italy also had 5he weirdest wind we had ever shot in

6. simona

simona Active Member

That's really interesting to hear Darron, I don't doubt your findings but my barley twist rifle performs very differently to the way yours did. Maybe these barley twist barrels need to be judged on an individual basis.

Last summer I spent two days shooting my twist barreled Steyr against my walther Dominator at 52 yards across an open lawn in a changeable moderate breeze shooting at paper. I was doing alternating 5 shot groups with Exacts and heavies. Yes, it was boring.

There was no significant difference between the groups or deflection of the Exacts shot from both these guns. I used the same batch of pellets in both guns though I have what seems a far better batch now. I would say that both these guns are good in the wind. I've missed more with that Steyr by giving too much wind than too little and top scored several times in windy conditions.

I've just bought a second barley twist barrel. At some point I'll test it though I might buy another rifle to do so. It'll be interesting to see whether the two barrels shoot the same.

Last Sunday morning I hit a 12.5 mm bell target 30 times in a row at 49 yards without touching the sides of the hole. It's the best accuracy I've ever achieved on this indoor range which I've been using for 25 years! It was with this barley twist steyr and my new wonder slugs!

C.Eaton, Welsh Wizard, Darron and 4 others like this.
  7. Where's Molly

Where's Molly Active Member

Club:
    M.A.D
    Yes cargy is force 7!!

8. Gunit-006

Gunit-006 Member

So quite a few different advicees from you guys its very interesting on what you guys are saying.

9. panaman

panaman New Member

Club:
    AOFA
    I guess deeper castleation and tighter choke most of the times (on most pellets), reduces the BC.
    As a consequence of this, a deeper imprinted pellet , due to the less gyroscopic stability that this pellet has along it's journey to the target, results to a greater drift (and maybe instability and more drop) in the wind.
    Deeper castleation and tighter choke is direct proportional to accuracy, though.

10. hmangphilly

hmangphilly Floppy Quick Phil

Tue Jul 17 22-06-26.jpg Thu Mar 01 10-09-45.jpg Fri Apr 13 21-47-23.jpg Sat Feb 10 14-59-08.jpg
    I'm kinda with you on this Mr. Monkey.

We have not found any need for super deep pellet castelation .
    In fact the opposite would seem sensible .

A captured shot pellet with very light castelation shows no sign of having skidded in the rifling , so I'm thinking the rifling is performing it's job at full efficiency.this isnt captured , but clear, light groovage
    Tue Jul 17 22-06-26.jpg

A deeply imprinted pellet will obviously have had greater contact along the bore , the friction will have slowed the pellet and required the gun to turned up to achieve a given output power .
    The deeper grooves ,as you comment , will give a greater surface area for thh wind to work on .
    The deep grooves are also not necessarily formed in a uniform manner , so may be deeper or shallower at different parts of the pellet circumference .
    This may be more noticeable at the skirt end , where different types of leade , could extrude or even shave the pellet material.
    Thu Mar 01 10-09-45.jpg

It seems that a tight ,sharp leade can either cause extrusion or shaving or both.
    Fri Apr 13 21-47-23.jpg
    A tight shallow leade should cause slight extrusion
    An over tight choke will usually be the cause of excessive extrusion and castelation .

I'm not even going into burred chokes or damaged barrels . We shall assume that these are not an issue
    Sat Feb 10 14-59-08.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2018
    panaman, MickyFinn and subaru swift like this.
  11. Evo

Evo Scouser by Birth mfta shooter by choice

Club:
    ByleyFTC, the Dib,Blackbrook
    simple answer is, ALL barrels are different , no two are the same, All barrels will prefer a different die of pellet, the best way is forget all this hokey pokey about twist rates,length of barrel etc, the simple answer is find a die of pellet YOUR barrel likes at 55yrds, get out in windy conditions and shoot the bloody thing till your fingers bleed,you are soaked right through and you have frostbite in your toes,,,, that will be the best advice you have, learn the gun,scope,and wind with the pellet of your choice,spend hours and hours practicing learning your gear, forget all this bull about my pellet does this and his pellet does that, just concentrate on what your equipment does and you wont be far off

12. Juniork

Juniork New Member

1) The same batch pellets have different BC out of the same barrel. (Not much - but enough to drop a point or X in Benchrest shooting.)
    2) Change the pellet batch or barrel and the BC will change - this can be significant.
    3) BC is proportional to wind drift.
    3) The better the BC the less wind drift there will be for the same pellet weight and V1 shot.
    So if you want less wind drift for the same pellet weight and V1 you need a pellet barrel combination that will give you the best BC - thus the highet V2 (speed @ target).

Pepone likes this.