Steyr barrel replacement

Discussion in 'Steyr' started by blacklab, Nov 10, 2018.

1. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Your roller bearings are seizing.

Total SS likes this.
  2. chrisc

chrisc Lucky git

Club:
    Emley Moor
    As Rob said Jim....for some reason it can be more pronounced as the temps drop.

3. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    Or very rare but it has happened once in a gun that’s shot well in excess of 100,000 slugs, the stabilizer latch and spring has worn out.
    When the stabilizer releases the bolt when it’s shot, the wear on the latch/spring allows drops down too far and the bolt can’t be engaged again, it becomes jammed and can’t be cocked completely.

4. SpeckleD

SpeckleD Active Member

Club:
    Emley Moore, Northern Monkey HFT
    Cheers fellas i will take a close look at this and see whats what, is it a replace or repair job in your experience on the rollers?

5. chrisc

chrisc Lucky git

Club:
    Emley Moor
    Is it locking up totally Jim or is it just stiff around the middle of the cocking lever opening?.....what's it like if you slightly open the bolt and then push it back with your finger? if it's smooth then it's either the roller or lever. If you're ok taking it apart check the roller for a flat spot but once starting to wear it can damage the lever as well as you stert to try and force the lever open and closed. I've also known the stabiliser spring (under the latch/flipper) to work out by a coil, that can cause grabbing.

Not sure when you're down Emley next as i can take a look and if have enough notice can bring the tools along to drill out the bearing.

6. SpeckleD

SpeckleD Active Member

Club:
    00FEF30A-540D-47BF-BF0C-30954A024174.jpeg So the lever seems to take quite a bit of force to to pull back initially after the click when closing it fully.
    But it also gets quite stiff around the mid point, I have stripped it down and can’t see anything obvious on the bearings which are rotating freely, the lever does have a bit of wear inside the slot the bearings run inside.

7. nemesis

nemesis 55yrd standing expert, or was it 8 or 9?

Had the same once on mine, check for sideways play on the bearing and tighten if necessary. When it becomes loose it jambs on the shoulders of guide on the trigger housing. Check the profile on the left side of the slot on the cocking lever too as this is the side which has most load on it when opening to cock the gun, sometimes you can polish it out if its got pitting on the contact face.

8. RobF

Club:
    It's the bearings.

Tarzan likes this.
  9. SpeckleD

SpeckleD Active Member

Club:
    Ok so the screw holding in the bearings was not very tight at all, removed the bearings, cleaned them up and applied a minute amount of grease then reassembled, popped it all back together in it seems to be running nice and smooth.
    Is it usual to have a little wear on the inner bottom edge of the block where the cocking lever is? Obviously there is a small amount of vertical movement when cocking so I imagine this to be normal.

10. RobF

Club:
    If you start seeing dropped shots then it could be that again because they can come loose and touch the hammer. On mine we need to shave a fraction of a mm off and also loctite the screws (but ensure the bearings ran free)... it was a bit of a pig to get right but second time around a lot easier.

Try a photo for the wear, hard to say what you're seeing.

Lavant_Lad likes this.
  11. nemesis

nemesis 55yrd standing expert, or was it 8 or 9?

Its normal to get scuffing on the trigger housing, check the small o ring is still there on the pivot pin.
    Also check the corresponding area on the actual chassis to see if theres any damage been caused by the cocking lever. If its more than a slight scuff it could be the o ring on the piviot pin is too thick or someone's fitted the wrong one. This will make the cocking lever dig into the alloy chassis.
    Check the actual return profile on the cocking lever too, where the bearing sits into in the closed position, as this profile wears it causes a burr to form on the cocking lever which then starts scratching the alloy chassis.

12. chrisc

chrisc Lucky git

Club:
    Emley Moor
    Gents above have covered it Jim but if you need a chat feel free to give me a bell mate.

13. SpeckleD

SpeckleD Active Member

Club:
    Cheers fellas, I will check all of these points out before i assemble it tonight. Chris i will catch up with you the next time i'm down Emley and have a good old chinwag.