steyr advise please

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by D. Clark, Sep 10, 2015.

1. D. Clark

D. Clark Member

Club:
    MidShires Marksmen
    Please could someone help me with some advice. I have been trying out a couple of lg110,s belonging to club members. The first one I tried was a new hft version with a moderator on and shoot as dead as a dead thing, the other one was an older model with a stripper on it. When shooting the second one, it for want of a better word it recoiled it seemed to jump, it moved like a spring gun obviously not as much but it did. I tried it without a pellet in it and it seemed to disappear. Can anyone offer some advice please?

Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
  2. hmangphilly

hmangphilly Not quite a full phil

The second rifle just needs setting up. .....probably just the stabiliser if the recoil is very pronounced.

Some muzzle devices work better than others at reducing muzzle jetting.

shorter barrels can seem to give a bit more "kick" than longer ones ,but it should n't feel like a springer.

3. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics
    Stabiliser

4. Red8989

Red8989 Member

Club:
    Anston
  5. chrisc

chrisc Lucky git

Hi Dave....the other rifle was probably older and was not set up as it should be. The Stabiliser parts can and will wear and it's probably the stabiliser that's not working correctly, also the type of stripper will make a difference and also the longer barrels are more prone to flip. I've experimented with different types of barrels and also the 45cm and 55cm Steyr versions. Not a lot in accuracy to worry about but i found that a correctly set up rifle with a 45cm barrel and standard double cone stripper is as good as i got it. It's a bloody dark art though as it can be down to the individual rifle and also running a rifle at 795 compared to 775 can make a noticeable difference with the LG's

Edit...beaten to it by the gents above. :)

6. BDL

BDL Dangerous

Club:
    Blaenau Gwent
    I have just set up my stabilizer and with the cone set correctly noticed a big difference.

Bri

Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
  7. D. Clark

D. Clark Member

Club:
    MidShires Marksmen
    steyr

Thanks for the replies I will pass on the details and hopefully it will fix it.

8. D. Clark

D. Clark Member

Club:
    MidShires Marksmen
    Steyr

It was clear that the stabaliser was'nt moving back and actually did'nt move at all, its now adjusted and moves back as it should may be 1 or 2 mm further than in the video. When shooting it, it still moves as it did before adjusting would this 1 or 2 mm be the reason or what else could it be.

9. hmangphilly

hmangphilly Not quite a full phil

So, adjusting the stabiliser from not moving at all to moving correctly had made no difference to the shot feel ?
    Blimey .
    Are all Of the stabiliser parts in the right place ? ... Those diddy little springs and the white ring / bearing ?
    Is it dry or lubed ?
    What is the muzzle velocity ?
    What stripper has it got ?

10. Knockedover

Knockedover CSFTA Champ

I believe the video is for a 6ftlb version, my own steyr runs at about 10 mm out of the back of the chassis and is virtually dead to shoot.

11. Ratinator

Ratinator Well-Known Member

Club:
    Millride FTC / Nomads
    Tiny springs

You can now get rid of the tiny springs in the stabaliser by ringing Harry Preston at Steyr UK and ordering a new spring ring.
    An upgrade part to replace the fiddly springs from the stabaliser .
    As for recoil have you checked that the transfer port is nipped up, mine was loose and you could see the movement in the reticle.
    Simon

12. D. Clark

D. Clark Member

Club:
    MidShires Marksmen
    steyr

All bits in the right place.
    I've not added any lube or removed any.
    Muzzle velocity is the next thing to check but it was alright a couple of weeks ago.
    The stripper looks like a rowan one, I did remove the adjustable cone and that made no difference, I intend to remove it completely.

13. D. Clark

D. Clark Member

Club:
    MidShires Marksmen
    steyr

Transfer port is now on the list check.thanks

14. D. Clark

D. Clark Member

Club:
    MidShires Marksmen
    steyr

I have checked the position of the stabiliser on a different Steyr and it came quite a way back so we have readjusted the problem one and if anything over done it and it seems to have done the trick. Many thanks to everyone for you advise.