Standing shots

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by Magic Bus, Oct 6, 2010.

1. Magic Bus

Magic Bus New Member

Club:
    Cromer Air Rifle Club
    As I mentioned in a previous thread I'm using a Falcon T35 on an EV2 and getting used to standing shots has been, shall we say, interesting :) High mag and gun weight etc. I have put a lot of practice time in now and things are a whole lot better ie. reasonably confident out to 42 yards or so. But what is bugging me is I still need a fair bit of warm up time to get the best results. Is there anything I can do to help reduce this warm up time, after all there may not be twenty minutes practice time available before a winter league comp :) Also I still suffer from pulling a shot left or right of the kill which anoys the hell out of me .. a miss is still a miss even if you hit just outside at three o'clock. Thanks for looking.

2. AIRMAX

AIRMAX New Member

I have the same problem and i would risk to say that almost every field target shooter has the same down spot wich is standing shots. What i usually do is try not to concentrate on the killzone but the recticle instead. Another thing is not to waste too much time on preparing the shot. You better get into position first of your feet and body alignment and after lift up the rifle. I use the 10 meter ISSF technic of breathing and allowing the gun to go up and when exalling, do it slowly so that i can rest the crossairs on the spot. It tends to work with me but i still get faulty on windy shots standing. I gess it's a learning process that requires a lot of practice.

I also would point the importance of the ballance ofthe rifle. This may be the great difference between a good shot and a miss.

3. Artfull-Bodger

Artfull-Bodger Member

Comes down to muscle control really, the more times you shoot from that position the more conditioned your muscles become to it, I had a bump in the car a year and a half ago which damaged the nerves in my shoulder and neck and have had to completely change my standing stance as i get twitches and snatches if I try to use the conventional stance!

it took a while to work out which stance to use but im getting steadier and have started hitting standers again, but I have to do a warm up exercise before the shoot or im too stiff, its nothing elaborate just lifting my arm up and down in the direction I hold the rifle, that helps!

the other thing I noticed i was doing was I was wobbling so much I tended to snatch the trigger once I got the crosshairs in the kill and triggeer discipline ensuring I have finger tip pressure on the pistol grip helps a lot too!
    Mike

4. Magic Bus

Magic Bus New Member

Club:
    Cromer Air Rifle Club
    Thanks for the advice so far. I guess there is no magic fix :) Just more practice. Funny thig is I am steadier with my ProTarget/Bushnell 8-32 rig which has an Anschutz palm rest which I find is awkward for kneelers.

5. Delphinus

Delphinus New Member

Club:
    CTC
    Do you use this scope on max power or lower it for standers?

6. Magic Bus

Magic Bus New Member

Club:
    Cromer Air Rifle Club
    I'm using the Bushnell on max mag.

7. rich

rich Active Member

As well as doing FT with an EV2 and a T35 on top, I shoot LSR to NSRA rules. LSR is done indoors, 20 yards range, two cards of five shots in a card target, all standing. For that I use a S410 with a Simmons 3-10 scope on top, set at 10 mag. Oh and the 410 is in 22 cal and I use Hobby pellets.

I shoot consistently better standing indoors, and for me the single significant difference is purely the weight and balance of the rig.

My standing position for FT is not that bad, classic approaching a 10m stance, but whatever you do you can't get away from the fact that an EV2 with an FT scope on top is heavy compared to the 410 which has to be under 4.5 kilos to comply with NSRA rules.

Here is a practice card from LSR: [​IMG]

Just to explain, we shoot ten shots in one card for practice, two cards of five in a comp.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2010
  8. Magic Bus

Magic Bus New Member

Club:
    Cromer Air Rifle Club
    Thanks Rich. Here's a couple of groups I shot at 23 yards with the EV2/T35. Not brilliant, but honest. Oddly I seem to do (a little) better at actual knockdown targets.

[​IMG]

9. cb2591

cb2591 Member

They look good to me . Using a Prosport and a T35 is really not easy. Im just about to change to a TX200 with an FT stock. Hoping the stock will help.

10. Magic Bus

Magic Bus New Member

Club:
    Cromer Air Rifle Club
    Thanks for the kind comment, but I know they need to be quite a bit better. I have improved over the time I have had the gun and scope though. The groups start to spread as I tire and the more I wobble the more I hold my breath instead of breathing. Trouble is I'm not getting any younger and I don't know how much punishment my body can take :D I would have thought you would find the target stock easier to get on with but there will still be the weight. Good luck with it, hope it works out for you.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2010
  11. cb2591

cb2591 Member

Much better with TX200 and FT stock. Dont worry you are not the only one getting on a bit.I think you have to find the right gun and scope ,then practise. I have spent months trying different combinations and at last have found a good compromise. I have bought and sold a few guns along the way in my search for the right beast. This one isnt perfect ,but is good enough for me. I am not wealthy .so if i can do it anybody can lol.