Standers.Ideas/help

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by Steve, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Steve

Steve Member

I'm the first to admit that in Ft I'm not the best at standers,but just lately I've gone shocking,even missed the plate on a 25yarder last week and dinked the other 3.Again today 2 standers both missed neither over 30yds:eek:I am in and around the kill all the time but just cannot stop trembling.I am fairly steady but just this trembling:confused:I am never nervous and you could set a bomb off behind me and it wouldn't bother me.My gun has'nt changed and I was doing ok last year,so any ideas.I'd be happy with 50% at the moment

2. ajtone

ajtone New Member

get jayf to give you a few tips steve, he got both standers today:)

i have heard if you spend 20 minutes or so just shouldering the gun a few times a week helps.

3. JTK

JTK New Member

Steve. I know how you feel. I have started spending time on my standers. Some days I am great. some days I am terible. I have however found that inevitably when I am terible I am forgetting something. My routine. 1) line target up 2) sholder rifle 3) shuffle feet 4) breath 5) if when not on target then shuffle feet again - I have found that if I skip this I and force the direction is when all starts going pear shaped 6) make sure I relax all my musles, especialy the ones in my butt 6) relax trigger hand 7) breath 8) drop the 10mm @ 15m :D Yeah right :D :D

Anyways, get into a routine with the standers. And the most important thing I feel is to relax your mussles. If you cant and have to have something tense to get onto target then you are not aligned to the target so shuffle your feet.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  4. nemesis

nemesis 55yrd standing expert, or was it 8 or 9?

standers

i'll give u some tips if you come and see me at the next round at anston.im not giving my secrets away on here so that all my rivals can pick up on

5. AndyIoW

AndyIoW Member

Practice in front of a mirror with you rifle unloaded is one I use.

If you can put a largish mirror at the end of a hallway. At the other end put a card/target on the floor beside you. Then by looking through the scope use the reflection in the mirror for the target. The theory being that if you can 8 yds in a hallway (if very lucky) the reflected image looks 16yds away.

With this you can practise the hold and it will ge the muscles tuned into what you want. You cab then practise as much as you want without getting cold or blown around ;) .

6. berty177

berty177 Judge Diva

Club:
    Nelson FTC
    Standers

Neil........ Right haaahaaa......

A good way to develop your standing is to practice silhouette shooting at your club.

Firstly though is to make sure you feel comfortable in your standing position. Alot of people think they are comfortable but when you see them all scrunched up where the stock is too short or the butt hook is too high you can see their mistake but they cant. The best standing shots if you watch them look comfortable when they are shooting, that could be standing, kneeling or sitting. Thats the start you want to get done first...

Berty (a lucky stander)...

7. AndyIoW

AndyIoW Member

A Video camera is a great tool for this. Set up the camera so it records you in profile. So if you are right handed record the right hand side. Record about 5 minutes of you shooting standers/kneelers/sitters.

Then in the privacy of your own home (is best unless you want the P ripped out of you :rolleyes: :D) study the footage. I actually copied this to my PC and looked at it frame by frame. You can then see what bad habits you have got and try to correct them. For me I found I would fire the shot and then move my head rather than see the target being hiot on Kneelers.

You could repeat it for upward and downward shots as well.

8. nemesis

nemesis 55yrd standing expert, or was it 8 or 9?

standers

supose you could always go on a humpty dumpty diet like berty that way when its windy you wont get blown about as much!

9. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    There's a lot to be said for having a rig that fits for standers... unfortunately, it tends to fight how you'd setup for sitters... kneeling is somewhere in between. One of the common problems is having a deep fore-end, which forces the forearm out and removes it's support of the gun. Another is gun balance, butt position, length, and scope distance.

The problem is that different shooters bias their rigs to their own preference, as the ideal means changing quite a lot on the rig, even the scope position. And because of this, shooters develop their own coping mechanisms... or not as the case may be, for each position... which means that the ideal might not be what you see, but what they can get away with.

I know one AA that sets his rig up for standing and copes with what it lacks for sitting, i go the other way around, some setup for a not perfect for all, some adjust as much as they can.

If you want, see if someone can take a pic of you from the side, so we can see the shoulders, and people may be able to help out :)

Normally wobbles = bad position, which can be for a variety of reasons.

I did have a rig where i'd solved a lot of the compromise problems, but it isn't suitable for everyone, and it's now being used by someone else now ;)... but working with a shooter recently made me aware that sometimes the setup isn't ideal, and it's a case of working out what can be shaved off one position and given to another. The more refined and specific something becomes, the less flexible it is for other situations.

10. Steve

Steve Member

Cheers guys,the thing is I know I can do it(only missed one over the 2 days at the euro's)and I think they are the probably the hardest standers we get in a comp(well that I've come across)but at the moment I'm shite:rolleyes:Started doing quite a bit of 10m rifle shooting,I thought that may help but I'm not sure if its having the reverse effect.

11. JAGXKRS

JAGXKRS Sparky's Bodyguard

Dont drink coffee or tea before a shoot;)

12. Steve

Steve Member

Kin ell Chris I'd still be asleep without caffeine inside me:DRoss H never drank tea/coffee the week before a shoot:eek:Mind you he is a shandy drinker:D

13. alan-aitch

alan-aitch I'll practice tomorrow...............

Club:
    Bisley
    That's what I thought, so I started shooting the 'sillies' at Bisley on a Thursday night, a couple of months of that and I genuinely thought things were getting better..... then I went to the first Winter League shoot and missed the bloody lot!!

Alan.

14. Woody

Woody The Chaser!

Club:
    Bisley, Member of the Ostler Air stripper club of GB!
    Alan - did you have your glove on??! :D :D :D :)

15. RobF

Club:
    Oh i waited till the middle of the league to do that... :D so far 12 standers, and i've hit 6 so far...

16. Artfull-Bodger

Artfull-Bodger Member

the best advice I can give you is to watch very closely what I am doing , and dont do it!:(

17. alan-aitch

alan-aitch I'll practice tomorrow...............

Club:
    Bisley
    Where's the middle finger smiley when you need it?? :p

Just put mine and Ash's forms in for NEFTA so suppose I'd best have a go without the glove now. ;)

18. Woody

Woody The Chaser!

Club:
    Bisley, Member of the Ostler Air stripper club of GB!
    ...He he! - we have a laugh, dont we!! :D

See you on Thursday at the 'Silly' racks!

19. RobF

Club:
    Might see you up there as well...

Stuck forms in for the nefta... i think i'll be concentrating on the FT side ;)

20. JAGXKRS

JAGXKRS Sparky's Bodyguard

Don't want to get those jeans dirty do we :p:p:p:D You can shoot the Wendover Extreme FT sitting on your arse knob twiddling if you want a challenge, 15mm out to 45yds :eek::eek:

Last edited: Jan 24, 2011