Springers & temperature

Discussion in 'Piston & Spring' started by Nick G, Nov 19, 2019.

1. madplinker

madplinker Active Member

Hi
    No I did not chrono the rifle it is very consistent over chrono well within 10 fps generally.
    Target was paper same one I zeroed at 25 yards. The shift came at the end of the session.
    So rifle warmed up so to speak.
    Yes a cold morning but temp probably did not rise that much. I.e. all of a sudden did not rise to 10 degrees for example.

If mount bedding in there would be screw movement. All where tight.

2. madplinker

madplinker Active Member

Plus only a vertical axis movement occurred i.e. poi went low.
    And aiming at the zero point where scope was set put 3 pellets pretty much through same hole but poi was nearly a inch low.

I have not touched anything apart from checked screws for tightness which all was good will get a bit of range time tomorrow so i will see if poi is still low or it has gone back to original poi.

3. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Warming springers tend to drop low as a trend. It's not a scope thing, it's a gun thing.

The shift on FT scopes isn't the POI moves, it's that the scopes tell you a different range to the target as compared to it in a different temp. So a 50 yard target can read 45 or 55. Because you dial you see a POI shift. But if you didn't and just kept 50 yards because you know it's a 50 yard target the POI would be the same.

steve1000 likes this.
  4. Nomads HFT

Nomads HFT Well-Known Member

Hi David,

I'd suggest first visually checking your breech seal for lead fragments sitting on or embedded in the front face - they can move around from time to time, creating or curing leakage and shifting the POI.

If the breech seal's OK, then nobody can offer more than guesswork without knowing what kind of piston seal has been fitted to the non-standard piston.

5. Cooper_dan

Cooper_dan Well-Known Member

Just to check. You didn't warm up a bit and take a layer off? Funny what adding or removing a coat can do.

6. madplinker

madplinker Active Member

Cheers Jim I will give the breech a good inspection and check things.
    I do not know what piston seal material is in the rifle but can ask
    Dan no clothes were altered.

Thanks for help as always :):):)

7. Nomads HFT

Nomads HFT Well-Known Member

It's not so much the material, but the type of seal, David. Some aftermarket pistons are sealed with an o ring, some with a 'parachute' synthetic seal, some with both.

8. madplinker

madplinker Active Member

Wee update as they would say in Scotland.
    I went to the range today set up paper target at 25 yards and took 3 shots basically went through same hole nearly a inch low like I left it on Saturday.
    So don't know what caused poi to go low at end of Saturday session.
    Before started session I checked breech for lead with a torch yes there was a little but i would say very minimal hardly nothing.

So moved scope up to zero point again.
    I have checked stock and scope mount screws they were ok after session. I am trying to be consistent has I can in checking things and also shooting the rifle as well.

I would class myself has a decent enough shot I can score high fiftys with my steyr on a HFT course.

So I know consistency and confidence in your equipment will help to get up the scoreboard.
    My technical skills are poor though a gorilla probably better than me.
    So I thank Jim and my friends who keep me right who have far more knowledge than I will ever have on the workings of these rifles.

End of Dave's blog lol:):);)