Springers at the showdown?

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by cb2591, Sep 5, 2010.

1. cb2591

cb2591 Member

Excuse my ignorance ,but was there a piston class today? Got there late and couldnt stop long.

2. NJR 100

NJR 100 Because I`m AWESIME !!

Club:
    Avon Hawks, Tondu, Oaktree
    No, You have to qualify for the showdown at one of the 9 gp help through the summer series. There is a seperate pistob class at these 9 gp, but at showdown its all eggsl in one basket.

Nick Murphy was shooting his prosport today however.

3. cb2591

cb2591 Member

Thanks. One more question...How do you qualify?:)

4. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    It's the top 7 scores from each Grand Prix. However once qualified, you can't qualify again, so it tends to get easier the more you go on in the season as more people have got in and out of your way. The problem is however with the shoot moving around regions, some local heroes will turn up for their close GP's, so it's never a given. The further GP's such as Scotland or the South West tend to have lower attendances (mind you i can see numbers being higher after East Devon's hosting this year)... that presents more of a chance if you excuse the term.

But it is getting harder... the first year I managed it from C Grade on a 37 (top score was 42) at a low attendance South West shoot... later in the year I think Rich managed it on a 35 at a CSFTA GP at newbury...

if you see the BFTA scores on http://farcoleyftc.co.uk/ you can see the qualifiers from this year, and then look up the GP scores they put in... this year there was one B grader, one C, a handful of A's and a barrage of AA's at the last GP. Oh and one piston shooter... Nick.

Tough.

But this year they also had stand-ins for 'byes' (people who for one reason or another couldnt be present)... so it meant that you could get a shoot if you didn't qualify ( i think empty slots went to those marshalling first ).

What region are you in? Do they have a regional showdown at the end of the winter league?

It's a strange event... not like any other... and it's wierd just how much crap you manage to dispense with in your routine... today i was quite at home running in around 30 secs... in a gp i usually will burn 1:30... quite what i'm doing with that time I don't know... probably waiting for a polite bit of breeze i guess...

5. RobF

Club:
    you do get a nice badge though whatever happens.

I think Mr. Finley holds the record at something like 15 qualifications on the trot... not sure... and he's got his name on the trophy a few times as well! That's quite a legacy.

6. cb2591

cb2591 Member

I live near Devizes and havent joined a club yet.Like a club not to far away with a healthy competitive membership. Will end up joining the nearest lol. Any suggestions.:)

7. RobF

Club:
    Devizes... hmm... bit thin on the ground up your way... you do live in a bit of an airgun club black hole..!

closest i can see from the map is Mendip to the west, or Gloucestershire to the north. Guess it depends on what road is fastest... i know the roads are not that great up there...

8. cb2591

cb2591 Member

Have shot at Mendip [HFT ], its only an hour away. Will try Cirencester, its about the same.I dont know if either club has a healthy membership who regularly hold club shoots. Cirencester is a new club anyway. I will check both for FT and join the most promising.

9. RobF

Club:
    Mendip are in SWEFTA, which has a healthy year long league, however I think it stops towards the winter.

10. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Lies .

I hate to correct you rob .:D BUT mr calpin is the last person on the planet with a full set of showdown badges from the start to now . no don't thank me ??? HOLLY:)

11. RobF

Club:
    well there you go then :D