Springer pellet test

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by Neil-T, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Neil-T

Neil-T Boingers forever.

Club:
    Far Coley
    Just had a play with HW97 in the garden prior to the springer champs in March.

The rifle is currently running at 778/785 with JSB 8.4g in a 4.53 head size.

The pellets tested were.

1. JSB exact express 7.87 in a 4.52 head size, from the tin and very lightly lubed

2. JSB exact Diablo 8.4 in a 4.53 head size straight from the tin.

3. JSB exact express 7.87 in a 4.52 head size, straight from the tin but have been sized with a 4.52 pellet sizer.

4. JSB exact Diablo 8.4 in a 4.52 head size straight from the tin

5. Daystate select 8.44 in a 4.52 head size straight from tin

The orange disc is 10mm

[​IMG]

All pellets shot from 25yds in calm conditions. Groups are not too bad with all the pellets IMO. I was getting a vertical line from left to right with the 1st test, not a bad cloverleaf with the 2nd test, an similar with the 3rd. The 4th test was a group slanting downward from left to right, with 1 flyer above (bad trigger technique on my part) but by far the best group was with the Daystate selects. Anyone else done pellet test yet this year with their springers. Neil.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  2. LANKY MK

LANKY MK this **** is killing me.

Club:
    Emley Moor FTC
    Is there supposed to be a pic or link?

Or am I blind/stupid (that's a rhetorical question)

Mark

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  3. D Martin

D Martin Non member

Hiya Neil, I've only tested one other pellet which are H&N FTT.
    They're 8.6 grain and will up the power a bit over the crono probably I know it did with the TX and I had to drop things a little but they are by far the most consistent pellet I've shot.
    I've previously shot JSB and last year AA Fields 8.4 grn but the switch to the slightly heavier H&Ns up to now seem to be giving me good results.

Dave

4. Neil-T

Neil-T Boingers forever.

Club:
    Far Coley
    Yes mate, there is supposed to be a picture, but unfortunately the website won't let me upload it. Never had a problem before. Neil.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  5. Neil-T

Neil-T Boingers forever.

Club:
    Far Coley
    Photo

Added a photo via photobucket.

6. Neil-T

Neil-T Boingers forever.

Club:
    Far Coley
    Update.

Did some testing over the chrono as I found another batch of pellets which were awesome.

All 5 shot spread min/max

JSB Exact Diablo 4.53 @ 8.4g. 776-785fps
    Daystate select 4.52 @8.44g. 784-793fps
    JSB Exact Diablo 4.52 @ 8.4g. 768-789fps
    JSB Express red tin 4.52@ 7.87g. 808-822fps
    JSB Express blue tin 4.52@ 7.87g. 813-817 fps

The JSB Express in the blue tin were very good over the chrono, and were 1 holing at 30 yds.

Just need to alter my setting slightly as I set the 97 up with the JSB 4.53s.

Neil.

7. LANKY MK

LANKY MK this **** is killing me.

Club:
    Emley Moor FTC
    The daystate's grouped well, interesting vertical stringing on the lightly lubed.

Mark

8. Neil-T

Neil-T Boingers forever.

Club:
    Far Coley
    The JSB 7.9s I have in blue tins were tighter than the daystates, well impressed with them.

9. skires

skires Well-Known Member

Thanks for that Neil

Some tight groups there especially with the Daystate.

I've been testing lately as things went t!ts up with the 77. I'd always used AA Field Diablo 8.4gr in 4.52 which I'm certain are the same as JSB Exact.

Anyway ... accuracy had gone to bits and I was sure it was because of a change of batch and inside profile. So I started looking for something else.

So I tried Daystate Li's ( 7.9gr ... Crosman Prems ) as I knew Paul uses them in his 97. So I cleaned the barrel and tested them. Originally I used them from the tin and accuracy at 35 yards wasn't brilliant. I then followed Paul's instructions about measuring them in a Bic tube. That gave 2 clear sizes and the smaller ones were the ones opening up the groups ( still tight in barrel compared to AA's ). The larger ones ( very tight ) gave really excellent results at close ranges. Anything up to 30 yards was just an enlarged ragged hole. At 35 yards the groups were still good ( cloverleafing ) but were starting to take some wind ( this was on quite a still day with prob 7mph wind ). At 45 yards I couldn't get a good group. The wind ( only 7mph ) was blowing them up to 25mm and the groups had opened up to probably 25mm ( greatest spread horizontally from left to right which was direction of wind ). I tried some of my old batch of AA's at 45 yards at the same time as the Li's and the AA 8.4gr were taking about 10mm wind as opposed to 25mm Li's.

I tried a new batch of AA's ( which look to have the same profile as the old ones that my gun liked ) and they are pretty tight now at 35 yards.
    Yesterday I tried the new batch of AA's in pretty still conditions ( 2mph ) and I got good results. 6mm ctc at 25 yards ... 10mm ctc at 35 yards and 12mm ctc at 45 yards. That was best out of 2 groups but the other groups were not far behind.

I'd still say the Li's are as good if not a tad better up to 35 yards but I'd have to choose the AA's because the Li's seemed to be far more affected by the wind over 35 yards.

It would be interesting to see what your 7.9gr ( like the Li's ) do at range with a bit of wind.

Good luck

Dave

Interesting that you are using 8.6gr. You obviously shot very well on Sunday at Oldham as that wind would have drifted a canonball, but have you tested the 8.6gr in the wind and noticed that they cope better than ( or not ) than the 8.4gr AA? One would think that .2gr would make little difference but I was amazed at how much more wind the 7.9gr Li's took ( out of my gun on that day ).

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  10. tonto.boy

tonto.boy Member

Club:
    Nelson Air Rifle Club.
    Pellet Test

Very interesting reading i must say.
    Grandad.

11. Ratinator

Ratinator Well-Known Member

Club:
    Millride FTC / Nomads
    mozzies

Glad to see there are no group's with my mozzies:D:D
    see you sunday

12. Neil-T

Neil-T Boingers forever.

Club:
    Far Coley
    Planning to get get to the club before Sunday to get the 97 well set up, I have decided to do the last MFTA winter league with it this Sunday for some practice. I will update here with what groups I'm getting at further ranges. Neil.

13. ellis d

ellis d Active Member

Club:
    Castle ftc
    A up neil, Group 5 looks about the same as the one i did today at castle TX200,55 yards, AA 4,52 ;)
    My old hw77 used love mozzys and hated any thing 8,4....:)

14. Neil-T

Neil-T Boingers forever.

Club:
    Far Coley
    Tried them and they were crap:eek:, how many tins should there be?;)

15. Neil-T

Neil-T Boingers forever.

Club:
    Far Coley
    Bloody hell Fish:eek: hope I can group that good at 55. See you Sunday.

16. XTX

XTX XTX Air

Club:
    Nomads HFT
    My 97 also likes AAF 8.44g. I tried the new Defiant HFT 8.5g but they were not nearly as good as the AAF.

17. Amac

Amac Active Member

Club:
    Rivington Riflemen
    I am tempted to try my 80 with some old Express/Mosquitos I have knocking about. Mine doesnt seem to like the latest batch of JSB 8.4s that she did last year. Fickle things barrels eh?

Frank

18. Neil-T

Neil-T Boingers forever.

Club:
    Far Coley
    Give them a try Frank, nothing to lose. I set mine up yesterday at the club with JSB 7.9s and was getting some great results. Neil.