1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Springer Love

Discussion in 'Piston & Spring' started by Cooper_dan, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Cooper_dan

Cooper_dan Member

Ok so the last post went off on a PCP tangent so I'll try again.
    This time, what do you love most about your springer?

Couple of rules:
    1. No mention of PCP's (we get it, they are easier)
    2. No mention of the 'springer lottery' (bored of it now)

I'll go first. I've got a mid engine car with the gearbox right behind me and a short shift linkage. When you change gear you get a lovely mechanical 'clunk' as it engages. It's addictive. My springers remind me of this. A raw mechanical system that you can really feel part of. Love it :D

Gary Martin and MickyFinn like this.
  2. mitigator

mitigator Dan Smith

Club:
    Emley Moor FTC
    Dan,

I’m a springer novice but I’ll say this :

It nice to hit a target and think “yay!” rather than thinking “thank god I didn’t miss that...”

Dan

springboy, Peter M and MickyFinn like this.
  3. Dan Staps

Dan Staps New Member

Club:
    Loughborough Airgun Club
    Well, my name's Dan as well so I'll chime in!

Definitely the sense of achievement and (dependent upon whether you're so inclined) knowing exactly how it works having taken it to bits.

Saying that, my score on Sunday didn't leave me with a warm glow inside I can tell you...

MickyFinn likes this.
  4. MickyFinn

MickyFinn IHFT

Club:
    The Anston Massive & Kingsley HFT
    Elation and frustration in equal measures! :p;):rolleyes:o_O:cool:

Ash Bailey, imorik and nick2 like this.
  5. MickyFinn

MickyFinn IHFT

Club:
    There's also the "joys" of doing this.

6. Nick G

Nick G Member

Club:
    Greyhound/ Purley Chase
    I enjoy the satisfaction , when it all comes together and you get a good score , springers punish you harshly when you get just one part of your technique wrong. Oh and i do like modifying them .

7. imorik

imorik Member

Club:
    Ex Anston FTC
    The joy of stripping it down a hundred times even though there was nothing wrong with the way it shoots;)

biwain and MickyFinn like this.
  8. Cooper_dan

Cooper_dan Member

Dan, those conditions were bloody difficult. If that's your first time shooting hft in wind like that then trust me when I say you didn't do bad. Aiming off the target is so hard to get your head round at first. I was giving 3 dots wind on some and it still wasn't enough

Is that number 1 gun :p
    Mines still in bits

9. Tinks

Tinks Member

Club:
    Lincs HFT
    The love of springer's is never running out of air halfway round a course, or having to pay to get some more.

10. MickyFinn

MickyFinn IHFT

Club:
    It's actually No2 gun Dan (now with 25mm internals, lgv piston seal & a shorter/stiffer spring + ditched the bear trap). No1 gun had a good wipe down & a lean against the radiator as it didn't get "that" wet on Sunday....?

11. biwain

biwain Member

Club:
    Newbury
    If I could get a refund on what I've spent, and get the minimum wage for the hours I've put into mine, I'd buy a nice house with a swimming pool.

Still Couldn't hit the floor if I fell out of bed with it though.

MickyFinn likes this.
  12. mrgeoff

mrgeoff Member

Club:
    Bisley BFTO
    I love the shooting cycle, from start to finish, its so deeply involving. Cocking the rifle putting some effort in, loading, bringing back to battery, then getting the surprise nudge as you have released that perfect shot.

13. skires

skires Well-Known Member

All the obvious stuff really ...

Self contained. No need for bottles/tests, counting shots, looking at gauges etc. Just grab the rifle and a tin of pellets and just keep cocking and shooting until you've had enough.

Just the engineering, mechanical, physical function of the things. You push a button and the underlever releases ( or you knock open the barrel ). You have to physically put some effort in to cocking it. In a caveman way you've had to somehow 'put' that power into the rifle that will send that pellet towards the target. Maybe a bit like pulling the string back on an old bow? The smoothness of the piston moving back when you've had it in bits and tuned it, concluded by an obvious 'Click' when it's engaged the trigger sear. The dull thud and fast nudge, on one that you've tuned, when you release the trigger. Again somehow knowing that you are part of a mechanical sequence of events where you release the trigger and the trigger releases that piston, and the whole thing moves ... and you have to be a part of that movement.

I've probably given away the fact there that I love restoring them and tuning them ( basics ) as much as I do shooting them.

Here's the weird bit that springer shooters understand but a lot of non-springer shooters don't ...

The fact that there is more of a challenge than the alternatives ... and we actually WANT that challenge. That you have to get it right, and consistent, or the result is poor. That leads to that 'Added Satisfaction' that people talk about when you shoot them well. You probably have to live with the bad days to appreciate the good days.

Here's another weirdo thing that maybe only the old springer folk understand ... probably an engineering upbringing and background helps ...

The fact that a good springer has been engineered to a decent standard. If it's looked after it will last over a lifetime, and in a couple of years it isn't going to be outdated and superseded by something that is the latest craze of the year. I even rejoice in the fact that rifles like the 77 ( and TX ) haven't really had to change over the last 30+ years. The design was good enough then to last and to out perform any of it's owners. I even love them in proper wooden stocks. Something that has grown in the ground over many years and shows age and character. A decent piece of Walnut that you can rub down with an oily rag and it's back to looking as good as it ever did. Little knocks in the wood aren't imperfections ... they are memories and signs of bonding.

I know the wooden stock thing could be said of non springers, but the all mechanical, self contained, well engineered, tuned springer, set in a nice piece of wood, and nudging you in the shoulder every time you shoot it ... It's 'alive'. It has soul. It invites you to dance ... and if you can't dance you'll fall flat on your ar5e.

Like Dan says ... it may be similar to driving certain cars. Not like modern sports cars with computer control traction and ABS etc. Switch all that off and thrash the thing about and live on the edge knowing that if you get it wrong there's a possibility of it all going t1ts up. I drove an old 1.5ti Alfasud. Rotted in front of my eyes ... and not really all that quick ... but you only had to rev that old Boxer engine 'til it sang, and then throw it into corners until you could feel the wheels hanging on to avoid understeer through the steering wheel, to know it was an old Italian rustbox that was made to be enjoyed, and needed the driver to play a real part, and not just to get you from A to B as efficiently as possible.

Gary Martin and eggie like this.
  14. Ash Bailey

Ash Bailey Member

Club:
    Parkstone GC, Glevum, Nomads HFT.
    Being rather esoteric... Springers have a character, each slightly different. Some are like naughty kids; you love them but they play up! Others are like your partner - great fun, dependable but they go off on a tangent sometimes. Sometimes it's them, sometimes it's you, but you always blame them!

That other sort of gun we're not allowed to mention - they're soul-less; simply machines!

I love my springers!

Gary Martin, MickyFinn and skires like this.
  15. skires

skires Well-Known Member

Nice post Ash.

I knew a few partners that were like 'Those other guns'. Far too easy, soulless, hardly moved when you used them and not really worth a two hour drive on a Sunday morning.

Ash Bailey, eggie and pbrown like this.
  16. Ash Bailey

Ash Bailey Member

Club:
    Parkstone GC, Glevum, Nomads HFT.
    Lovely analogy!! And definitely not worth a drive when it's raining!!

17. Sake-San

Sake-San La Veille Alliance

Club:
    l'Association Francaise de Field Target
    Your "modifying them" is keeping an increasingly large number of us just this side of the psychiatric hospital doors!!!
    So please don't stop

Gary Martin likes this.
  18. pelletcaster

pelletcaster New Member

I love the distinctive smell at shooting even while not really dieseling.

19. nick2

nick2 Member

Club:
    Lincs HFT
    What I love about my springer is, it reminds me of my wife
    Great for 3 weeks out of 4.
    Just as I am starting to start to understand her
    She throws a wobbler.
    Shes in bits at the moment, would love to shoot her
    The guns ok though.
    Happy Valentines Day dear
    Hope you like the pellets.
    :)

Sake-San, mrgeoff, Ash Bailey and 2 others like this.
  20. Nick G

Nick G Member

Club:
    Greyhound/ Purley Chase
    Sorry about that Gavin , I can't stop, just as I get what I think is the ultimate I have another idea! must stop its becoming an obsession .