Springer for HFT

Discussion in 'Piston & Spring' started by madplinker, Nov 6, 2019.

1. ellis d

ellis d Active Member

Club:
    Castle ftc
    The Tx200 trigger is a copy of the venom Mach 1, from what I’ve read, owned both the hw77 and many Tx’s both good guns but the Tx is a better gun, Both guns are capable once tuned the Tx trigger is a lot better than the record trigger in my opinion, :eek:

johnbam likes this.
  2. kt83

kt83 New Member

I disagree because Ken Turner designed his own trigger mechanism during the early 1980's that was eventually adopted for the TX series of rifles.

The Venom Mach series of rifles came later on during which Ken was involved in the machining of some of the Mach parts and design input.

Kens own stainless steel breech loading competition rifle built during 1983 has this precision engineered mechanism constructed from brass and can be set for a very light let off, I have had this rifle in my collection for many years.

3. Dale

Dale Well-Known Member

Given the near identical appearance of the components and operation of the TX200 trigger unit and the Mach1 trigger, it strongly points to both being Ken's design.

Either way, mechanically it is superior to the Rekord, but needs to be set up properly for that to be appreciated.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
    kt83 and FPoole like this.
  4. Nomads HFT

Nomads HFT Well-Known Member

I believe that was one of the two rifles Ken Turner brought to show me at a game fair (probably 1984). I took a photo of Ken and the rifles for Sporting Ait Rifle magazine, then watched Ken wander off to the Airgun World stand across the aisle, and saw him showing the rifles to Dave Pope and Ivan Hancock.

I don't suppose you have a photograph of Ken's 1983 trigger unit?

5. chrisc

chrisc Lucky git

Club:
    Emley Moor
    first...

Grow a beard
    learn how to smoke a pipe
    wear trousers that smell of wee

sorted......

Farington and pbrown like this.
  6. biwain

biwain Tree bark and paint chipper Champion

Club:
    Newbury
    I'm totally sorted then.

I do tend to dress my tx trigger sear with the smooth side of my nail file, whilst my diamond file just slides off of my hw sear?

This is the second sear I've had to put in my tx as I wore the first one down to a nub.

I've had harder toffee!!!!

It's not only the design, it's the material that lets the tx down.

7. plattitude

plattitude Active Member

Club:
    Anston
    Well I could grow a beard

And at 66 I will probably start peeing my pants in the near future :-(

But I'm not starting smoking on a pension, bugger that :)

Paul

8. chrisc

chrisc Lucky git

Club:
    Emley Moor
    In the near future???

:);):)

9. FPoole

FPoole Active Member

What exactly are you wearing them down with? I've got several old TX's that were flogged to death on the FT scene and they are just fine after a minimum of 150,000 shots each. Maybe you cut through the case hardening with your stoning of the sears.

Gary Martin and Nick G like this.
  10. kt83

kt83 New Member

Jim the rifle he may of shown you of that year now resides in America in a collection that also holds the original SS concealed underlever rifle.

I only have a photo taken at the bottom of the trigger mechanism with trigger guard removed so pm me your email and I'll send it on to you.

My only airgun mission left is to source the missing SAR editions from my collection. I can still remember waiting eagerly for the day it hit the shelves of our local newsagent. Wonderful magazine.

11. biwain

biwain Tree bark and paint chipper Champion

Club:
    Newbury
    Never touched the original sear but noticed the trigger ratcheting on the first stage travel after a very short time.

Stripped it down and found that every time the safety released the two sears slam together and cut an impression into the top sear. I ended up with a series of horizontal grooves in the top sear.

I have since disconnected the safety catch and the problem is cured.

But the new sear feels just as soft as the original sear!

Maybe I'm just unlucky but the new sear is easy to mark on the polished surface.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
  12. FPoole

FPoole Active Member

I do have 1 TX that the trigger blades jumps a good bit when the safety is released. I figure it's just a little slop in the top to middle sear tolerances or the bottom to middle sear contact point. Hasn't caused any wear problems. I also remember a few photos of the hook on the top sear with chips out of it. This was from being a little too hard on a certain batch of sears, I suspect. I sharpen knives as a hobby and you get a feel for how hard the steel is. The sears in the TX are much harder than knife steel. I think this would be a job for someone with a Rockwell testing tool.:D

13. zooma

zooma New Member

Club:
    Rossendale Model Target Club
    I have been shooting airguns for over fifty years, but I am a relative newcomer to the current spring powered crop of HFT type springers (and I have mostly always shot 10 meter match rifles !) so choosing one springer type to start my HFT shooting hobby/sport/possible addiction(!) with, has been an interesting journey!

The springers are a challenge that I am enjoying as there are a lot more variables to consider when compared with my usual (and very predictable) PCP match rifles!

I have tested the HW77 (I fitted an HW97K stock to improve my head position) and liked the rifle but disliked the under-lever release catch system and prefer the type fitted to the HW97 - so for this small reason alone (the internals are the same) I am comparing the HW97 with the TX200 and have narrowed my choice down to these two - hence my interest in this thread !

To date I have found the HW97 to be the easier rifle to shoot as it is less "hold sensitive", but I do like the TX and for no good reason other than preferring to shoot a British made rifle (if possible) I am continuing to work with the TX as well.

I have taken a look inside them both and made some small changes that have worked well enough, but the sensitivity of the hold is the main difference between the HW97 and the TX200 that is making the difference to my accuracy with them at the moment.

As a dedicated Walther match rifle shooter for many years now, I should also try an LGU to see how that compares with these two, but for now I need to practice and find out the small secrets that make all the difference to shooting with an HFT type springer and continue to enjoy(?) finding out how to get the best out of what I already have !

14. madplinker

madplinker Active Member

I am enjoying shooting my lgu I have also had a rollercoaster ride at the beginning I have found out what the culprit his to my poi changes.
    This was a stock problem a hair line crack in the laminate near front bolt fixing also a bow in laminate at the fixing point too.
    Plus poor inletting.
    A true gentleman has lent me a standard lgu stock from this forum.
    Probably I have been testing with standard stock for over a week no changes in poi.
    Lgu is very accurate but I would say its let down compared to 97 and the tx 200 is trigger.
    I would not say its too hold sensitive either.
    Cheers David

15. zooma

zooma New Member

Club:
    Rossendale Model Target Club
    Thanks David - that is very interesting!