Springer for HFT

Discussion in 'Piston & Spring' started by madplinker, Nov 6, 2019.

1. madplinker

madplinker Active Member

Hi
    I am a decent enough shot with a Pcp but fancy doing some Springer shooting for FUN.
    I have shot springers before in my past when I was a kid i.e. Fwb master. Sports hw 77 hw 80 etc back in the 80s
    I know the top two rifles are the tx and hw 97 etc.
    But nostalgia wise would like to get a hw 77 rifle not carbine and get it v mach kit in it to stop horrible biong and dieselling etc.

What's peoples advice old school or new school.
    Cheers

2. Mammoth

Mammoth Unusual Targetmaker :)

Club:
    Anston
    Hi mate!
    I`m using TX200HC for a few years, and if I put enough effort in training, I was quite good with it..
    BUT... I found that my TX is very sensitive on way I hold it, so I dont know if I can recommend it for permanent PCP user.. :(
    I shoot a few HW97`s with decent tunning, and I was a bit jealous for way they shoot.. ;)
    Think, for You, the best option will be HW97 or Walther LGU ( I want one as well :) )

You should talk about it with Steve Whiting which left me with jaw wide open after last Emley Extreme I shoot.. Emley Moor Extreme 2019 R2 results :D
    (BTW. I found reason for my crap score.. Waiting till Sunday to confirm if Im 100% right.. :) )

madplinker likes this.
  3. MickyFinn

MickyFinn I❤HFT

Club:
    The Anston Massive & Kingsley HFT
    If you can find an old skool 25mm hw77 then take that route! Comb on the cheek piece is a bit low on the early one though.

old foggy and madplinker like this.
  4. madplinker

madplinker Active Member

Hi

Yes I had a original 77 rifle back in the day and it was a cracking all round rifle just felt right so did my master sport.

I have heard along the grapevine that when hull cartridge onwards the hw 77 was not has good ?????.

My friend his a good Springer shot came 3rd at the world's HFT championship I am gonna have a go with his springers which is a 97 and a lgu but just fancied something a tad different usually hw are quality enough springers with a little tuning.

Just for old time sake and to be a little different was wanting to know if 77 would be ok.

5. Cooper_dan

Cooper_dan Well-Known Member

In short, yes a 77 is a good choice. In the right hands a standard 77 could win recoiling class at any comp.
    As said, cheek piece is probably a bit low for really serious use, but that can be sorted

madplinker and MickyFinn like this.
  6. steve1000

steve1000 Active Member

Club:
    Wendover, North Oxon
    Lgu would be my choice

Mammoth likes this.
  7. Nomads HFT

Nomads HFT Well-Known Member

As Mick says, a 25mm cylinder '77 is a fine rifle, David, but bear in mind that some will have had their 25mm cylinders and pistons robbed to go into later '97s (to be replaced with the 26mm '97 internals). Date of manufacture and serial number are no guarantee that it's 25mm.

Not that there's anything 'wrong' with 26 mm rifles; it's just that the 25mm rifles have significantly less recoil (courtesy of a combination of lighter piston with sufficient sectional density).

I still have the 25mm '77 I bought new in 1985.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
    Ash Bailey, madplinker and MickyFinn like this.
  8. madplinker

madplinker Active Member

Hi
    Kinda wish I had my old 77 and mastersport but has one of the gentleman said above if I do my thing right then should be ok.

I will have a good go with my friends at the weekend see how I get on knock a lot of cob web's off lol

9. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

Club:
    Redfearns & the UBC
    Well my 77K from 1987 is stamped Hull Cartridge so you'd have to get a very early one indeed to avoid them, or get a grey import. But it's a myth though.

Some year back 97s and 77s were coming into the UK with chopped down and badly finished FAC/export springs to make 12 ft.lbs. Some people thought HC were doing that but it was actually being done at the factory. I bought a new grey import non HC 97K in 2008 and that also had a chopped spring. I heard that practice had stopped in more recent years though.

madplinker likes this.
  10. johnbam

johnbam Active Member

Club:
    New Caledonian ARC
    Best of luck Davy, you will need to get the practice in :D

Cheek piece is high up in the list of things to get done right of the bat whatever you go for.

Fired a scope on my wee HW99 and couldnt shoot it as good as i could with open sights, purely due to cheek weld i reckon.

For me its go for an AA, as i reckon the triggers better than the HW's. Both manufacturers can be fettled to make their actions smoother.

madplinker likes this.
  11. madplinker

madplinker Active Member

Hi
    Johnny boy just fancy doing something a little different next year to keep the enjoyment up if you know what I mean both of us are decent enough with the old Pcp.
    I am going to euans on Saturday for a bash with his springers which are both highly tuned so in away not the best comparison.

I have been around the block same has you Johnny boy you had the harder paper round lol.

I have fired Billys txt which is nice but felt hold sensitive like gentle man above said.

See what happens has in Scotland the HFT season is over so can do some practice and see how I get on.

johnbam likes this.
  12. johnbam

johnbam Active Member

Club:
    New Caledonian ARC
    Good on you mate. Billy and Euan have been shooting well. Shug has got a new stock that will bring his game up as well. Scottish springing could get well interesting :D Got a new guy at my club that bought my pro sport, see if i can give him some coaching, maybe give you guys a fright. :D

In all seriousness though you shoot at a high level in the base HFT game, reps with the springer and you will get gid in no time with it, looking forward to see how ya go :D

PS beware the law of diminishing returns if you end up messing with the internals yourself. Afore mentioned HW99 stripped, and relubed tonight to see if i could squeeze a few more fps out of it....lost 10fps on the rebuild lol. Sitting at 9 1/2 ft/lb in .22. Gonnae take they open shiters on Saturday with it for the giggles :D

madplinker likes this.
  13. Phill61

Phill61 New Member

Club:
    None
    HW97K..?...I prefer the HW's.
    Mine has a Airgun doctor tune and a Vortek kit.
    Rested on 2 bags ..at 45yds it is as accurate as my PCP's , as smooth as a TX to operate and extremely consistent.
    Even better than my old FWB 124...which has always been my yardstick for an accurate .177
    springer.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
    madplinker likes this.
  14. madplinker

madplinker Active Member

Hi
    I suppose a wee update. I have bought a Springer from my friend it is a 177 lgu in a blue custom laminate stock.
    Possibly your old rifle Cooper Dan ??? Or maybe not
    If you sold it to a euan bowie.
    It has a skirtless piston in it also the trigger has been modified so no long first stage.
    Over the chrono well within 10 fps running around 770 Mark with jsbs 8.44
    I have not shot a Springer in 30 years so starting all over again and the intended use is for HFT.
    Basically I have had the rifle two weeks and I have shot two longish practice sessions zeroing scope and getting some aim points
    I shot my first HFT comp with it last weekend scored 47
    Missed mainly far ones
    So more practice in being consistent with hold of the rifle and grouping at distance and improve technique.
    I have been a Pcp softy for nearly 5 years
    So fun and a new challenge for me.
    If I make any changes will update cheers

Peter Trimmer, johnbam and MickyFinn like this.
  15. biwain

biwain Tree bark and paint chipper Champion

Club:
    Newbury
    Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha!!!!!!!!!!!!

Adam likes this.
  16. johnbam

johnbam Active Member

Club:
    New Caledonian ARC
    AA trigger is a basically a copied and improved version of the HW Rekord unit....FACT... how do you adjust the first stage travel on your HW trigger again..... now thats a HAHA matter. :D

Had a shot of Mad plinkers LGU last week and was quite impressed with it, in fact quite impressed by the whole rifle, but reckon its been tampered with well. Even nailed a target Davy missed :D

madplinker likes this.
  17. biwain

biwain Tree bark and paint chipper Champion

Club:
    Newbury
    Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha.
    I love a good joke lol.

johnbam likes this.
  18. johnbam

johnbam Active Member

Club:
    New Caledonian ARC
    Fair play :D

I#m just a wee AA fanboy :D :D

19. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

Club:
    Redfearns & the UBC
    The AA trigger is better on paper, but I've never found one that has the feel of a nicely set up Rekord.

Martz and MickyFinn like this.
  20. madplinker

madplinker Active Member

Hi

I have had a few ups and downs in my Springer journey doing HFT. I have had the lgu probably nearly 2 months
    With some head scratching moments on the practice range still need a lot more time with it.
    I did my second HFT today with it more a club HFT comp so not totally ukahft compliant.
    So some generous kills but also 3 15 mm kill zones farther than should be closest 30 yards farthest 44 yards
    Windy rainy conditions I scored 55 with Springer top score for today 58 Pcp so pleased I beat a few decent Pcp softies lol.

I know if the course was more compliant score would be lower so improvements need to be made.
    Like I said Springer journey ups and downs at moment hopefully I will find some consistency in next few months.
    Cheers David