Springer blasphemy

Discussion in 'Piston & Spring' started by Cooper_dan, Feb 12, 2018.

1. herx77

herx77 Member

The Bodyboarding capitol of Hertfordshire.
    Club:
    Lea Valley Air Gun Club
    After 50 years of shooting these things I have one conclusion about how you shoot them accurately and consistently ... You can't. It's like entering a soup eating contest and agreeing to eat your soup whilst jumping up and down on a trampoline. Some fools think they can master them ... nope. Their design and function means they are not capable of sending a pellet down a barrel and releasing it with enough consistency to be useful ... only to torture the minds of people who refuse to see sense.

Having said that ... and with respect to MrGeoff and the many others that say the same thing ...

It's really not difficult to keep hitting 40mm kills time after time after time at 55 yards with a springer ... some days.[/QUOTE]

Not every one spends enough time to become really consistent( or will be able to be become good enough) to take on a course resulting in a high score as was at Markyate in FT. I find it interesting and a bit puzzling when comparing the views expressed today compared to the actual results achieved in the 80's at Markyate and how we consistently managed clover leaf groups at 50/55 yds using superdomes etc at Markyate/ Burnham. Competition was fierce then and the likes of ,Terry. Doe, Dave Welham, Mark Commaccio,and other well known shooters competing, drove the rest of us to up our game.(no prisoners taken there)really cut throat.
    Springer shooters tend to be a bit unusual and work harder generally than those of the ..Dark Side, its probably why they get more out of comps especially turning over squirt guns with a huge grin while doing it.Very few pneumatic guns were available in the 80's and we had a larget pier pool to compete in compared to those shooting today.Possibly there is not so much pressure to win with the numbers at HFT/FT now?
    Try using long latex straws!
    HERX77 .

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
  2. Nick G

Nick G Active Member

Club:
    Greyhound/ Purley Chase
    21mm! that sounds familiar ,;), you aren't the only one , another competitor in hft has one of mine . I will be using a 22mm .

nick2 likes this.
  3. scutter

scutter Aspiring to mediocrity

Club:
    MEMBER OF M.A.D
    You are correct, In the UKAHFT there are a few people with 14 and 15lb stock with super lightweight internals, but they don'y always win. I started off with a TX200HC with a V-Mach spring and guide. The piston was polished and had a bit of weight taken off. I did purchase a CS1000 stock, but have gone back to a standard stock that has had a hamster, butt padd and cheek piece attached.

The only other mods are a silencer and a few wheel weights attached at the front and the back. The main thing with boinging is practice.

4. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    I don't think it was chosen if for any other reason than it was easy to covert a standard comp tube and not have it leaking and then convert it back if needed. And then he made another new comp tube with a precision bore the same size so we had a test rig. Then I went right off springers and didn't do anything with them.

If the springs last then we'd be onto something except I think we had the last of that stock and haven't been able to find any of same spec... swings and roundabouts... :D

5. Nick G

Nick G Active Member

Club:
    Greyhound/ Purley Chase
    You went off springers ! weirdo.
    The No 11 I had in was in for one year and still going strong, others broke , Did a lot of work on Nick2 's set up to see if I could sort it , and ended up with a shorter stroke ( the 21mm makes power easily) its a little faster, and a little harder to cock but not as you would notice , it now has extra pre load and it seems to be working , fingers crossed.

RobF and MickyFinn like this.
  6. nick2

nick2 Active Member

Club:
    Lincs HFT
    Yes, it looks like you have sorted the spring issue Nick. Breech seal lock up is a problem at the minute, hopefully new cocking shoe & pin will arrive tomorrow. Breech seal o ring shredding has reduced since chamfering the front face of the transfer port.

7. skires

skires Well-Known Member

So we are saying that in Sunday morning shooting sports ... the people who win are the people who put the practice in and can actually shoot ... and that lesser talented creatures can't just buy the best kit and win gonks! Eureka :D

I'm going to risk suggesting that's not just related to springer shooters.

You'll never convince the masses. It's actually a recognised mental illness ... OTKCD ... Obsessive Top Kit Compulsive Disorder. It's where individuals believe that if they buy the best kit their scores must improve. If their scores don't improve then they buy some different top kit. It comes from childhood trauma where they couldn't cope with their failings to stay inside the lines in colouring books ... and Granny kept telling them it wasn't their fault ... it was the sh1t crayons ... and Granny will get them better crayons tomorrow.

All very tongue in cheek. In air rifle shooting there will be a high percentage of people who get just as much pleasure out of buying and owning all the latest gear and gadgets and moving from one set of expensive kit to another. That's their thing. More so than buying a rig that is adequate and then putting in the time to get the best out of that kit and themselves.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
    Steve M likes this.
  8. Nick G

Nick G Active Member

Club:
    Greyhound/ Purley Chase
    Lets hope its ready for sunday, do you now have the vortek in or the No11?

9. nick2

nick2 Active Member

Club:
    Lincs HFT
    The Vortek Nick. Postie has not been today:(. Been at the club for a short while this afternoon to check where my long aim points are. Those 50 & 55ydrs look a bloomin long way on x8.

MickyFinn likes this.
  10. Nick G

Nick G Active Member

Club:
    Greyhound/ Purley Chase
    I bet they do , satisfying when they go down though.

11. Cooper_dan

Cooper_dan Well-Known Member

Tried to check mine today but the wind had other ideas. Will have to just wing it on the long ones :D

12. Alanok2002

Alanok2002 Active Member

Club:
    Redfearns
    How does the 21mm setup shoot with vortek spring in compared to the titan and how much preload is there with the vortek

13. nick2

nick2 Active Member

Club:
    Lincs HFT
    The Titan feels slightly quicker Alan, Vortek a bit softer & 20 mm of preload.

14. Amac

Amac Active Member

Club:
    Rivington Riflemen
    I find that a good few months using a springer definitely helps when going back to a PCP. For me it is the tiny point in time following release of the trigger that seems to improve aim on the "easy" PCP, although no amount of practise seems to help me now I am an old b------d. It is a pity I cant get a set of highly tuned components for my own insides and eyesight, never mind the TX.....

15. itsray

itsray New Member

Ah,,,,but where is the fun when its always a pellet on pellet pcp shot? Beats me, give a bouncing springer and therein it shows the true skill.
    No doubt someone will spank me for that thought.

biwain and Gary Martin like this.