Springer blasphemy

Discussion in 'Piston & Spring' started by Cooper_dan, Feb 12, 2018.

1. john0neuk

john0neuk Well-Known Member

Club:
    Dartmoor Marksmen
    I love shooting and tinkering with both! As evidenced above nothing can replace skill! Re the dinosaur bit - PCP technology pre dates spring by around 350 years. So maybe the TX and its technology is the new boy on the block and the only dinosaur (substitute the words "experienced shot") was the shooter on this occasion!

2. Alanok2002

Alanok2002 Active Member

Club:
    Redfearns
    Springers are great to shoot and make a massive smile on my face when i hit thst 55yarder or that 15mm reducer if i ever turn gay i could always buy a pcp

3. Brian.Samson

Brian.Samson Allowed in Sales Staff Member

Club:
    Doncaster Airgun Range
    Lots of talk of being happy to hit a 40mm kill at 55 yards - I'm happy if I hit anything at any distance.

Paul Moss, biwain and MickyFinn like this.
  4. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    This thread reminds me to try and find it.

Have to start searching the bushes around when I threw it the last time I shot it...

Xbank, TimWithers and mod23 like this.
  5. Brian.Samson

Club:
    Doncaster Airgun Range
    Start with the bushes you weren't aiming at :)

TimWithers, skires and MickyFinn like this.
  6. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Shooters spend a fortune trying to make a springer into a PCP by tuning out the recoil . then call it a recoiling gun . when all it does cos of the weight is twitch . then they say a whiscombe is not a spring gun , cos it does not recoil ( but does jet ) . does any of this make sense . if a rifle is driven by a spring to make it's power it is a springer . simple . if it does not recoil; . it is still a springer . just a better quality one ??? HOLLY

PS I do hope Mr Belas T16 works . now that is possibly a PCP beater . the biggest problem with the whiscombe was the weight ( scoped ) , time and effort it took to cock it .

7. Brian.Samson

Club:
    Doncaster Airgun Range
    What if it uses a Gas Ram and not a spring? (ahem.. like the T16) :D

8. Nick G

Nick G Active Member

Club:
    Greyhound/ Purley Chase
    Had a quick look at the video of the sterling arms gun , it looks like it may be an updated version of the park to me , the pivot point at the front is the give away, i started wondering and thought how about belt drive instead of the chain drive , would be quieter and less problems with lube , if its good enough for camshafts ......

9. Brian.Samson

Club:
    Doncaster Airgun Range
    Rumour is that it uses a cable

10. MickyFinn

MickyFinn I❤HFT

Club:
    The Anston Massive & Kingsley HFT
    Same designer Nick

11. biwain

biwain Tree bark and paint chipper Champion

Club:
    Newbury
    The day my springer stops jumping is the day I get a Steyr. I Iike my shoulder bruiser!

12. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

Club:
    Redfearns & the UBC
    It's not about getting it to shoot like a PCP; that is a physical impossibility if your piston has >0 mass. What it's about is making sure the movement is small, straight back and forth in line with the bore with no twisting, and minimising vibration and other unpleasant metallic noises.

Alanok2002 likes this.
  13. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    True but what powers it can be changed to a spring ??? HOLLY

14. Brian.Samson

Club:
    Doncaster Airgun Range
    So it's a springer if it's powered by a spring or if the power plant could be swapped to a spring with some re-engineering?

I'm glad you don't write the rules :D

Whizzers / SR's / Diana D54's / even Gas Ram powered T16's are all included in the "Piston" category the BFTA and WFTF have so there's no need to make up a convoluted definition of a Springer or Recoiling Rifle.

Whizzers / SR's and D54's compete in the World Champs every year - I can't remember seeing a Gas Ram competing ever though.

15. Cooper_dan

Cooper_dan Well-Known Member

In the comps I shoot in, the same few people are usually at the top of the recoiling class and they seem to have very mildly tuned guns and in some cases standard stocks. I don't think you can 'pay to win' in the recoiling class.

biwain and MickyFinn like this.
  16. MickyFinn

MickyFinn I❤HFT

Club:
    The Anston Massive & Kingsley HFT
    In hft Dan, they have to recoil, no sled guns or whiscombes or parks etc. They'e in the open class with the big boys pcps. I've tried a few set ups but got the best conistency, reliability & least hold sensitivity with "conventionaly" tuned and unfashionable 26mm piston, none rotating, hw97s. I keep dabbling but always go back.

Cooper_dan likes this.
  17. FPoole

FPoole Active Member

I like a springer with little or no twang, but I've never seen one that really got any more accurate with a smooth tune. If the piston seal is good, and the breech seals are sealing, any of my TX's will give very good accuracy. They just feel better to shoot when they don't twang. Tuning is also very fun even if it's not totally needed.

TimWithers, skires and MickyFinn like this.
  18. Nomads HFT

Nomads HFT Well-Known Member

The expression at Nomads is that (in recoil HFT) 'you can't buy talent', Dan.

You are far from alone in reaching that conclusion, Mick.

MickyFinn likes this.
  19. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    +1

As much as we've explored, and despite it having barely any possiblity of following a pellet, my V-mach 25mm 97k was I think the most accurate springer I've had. The only issue is it would shift. But from what I know now it would probably be worth a revisit.

21mm in for the PJC... just got to zero... found a sweet batch last night but not enough of them to zero and shoot a comp...21 mm may only last a few 100 shots, but that's all it needs to for this weekend. Stock doesn't fit either... nothing like leaving it till the last minute huh

MickyFinn likes this.
  20. Cooper_dan

Cooper_dan Well-Known Member

I need to come shoot Nomad's more often. From what I've seen there's a really high standard of recoiling class shooting at your place. Really looking forward to the Nomad's springer day. Got it in my diary
    I've got nothing against tuning guns, (I've short stroked my TX Mk3 to be the same as a Mk2). What gets me is when someone gets a tune, shoots it for a week and decides they need a better tune. The best value for money is range time and pellets

skydog, MickyFinn and skires like this.