1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Springer blasphemy

Discussion in 'Piston & Spring' started by Cooper_dan, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Cooper_dan

Cooper_dan Member

I had to confess I had a moment of weakness on Sunday. In the wind at Loughborough I had strange thoughts worming their way into my head.
    If I had a PCP I could see exactly where the pellets were landing and I would know how far off I was with the wind.....
    This horrible thought lasted all the way home. It was only as I was stripping the gun down to dry the water off the piston that I came to my senses.

Springers are just the best :)
    I like it's big heavy piston and the thump of every shot
    I like the sporter stock that I have to hold up the peg
    And I even like stripping it down every time it gets a bit wet

Sometimes I just wish I could see where I'd hit the already shot up target

Gary Martin and MickyFinn like this.
  2. mrgeoff

mrgeoff Member

Club:
    Bisley BFTO
    I love my Springer too, hitting 55yds with a break barrel gives a real sense of satisfaction. :)

3. chrisc

chrisc Lucky git

Choosing to shoot a springer is like choosing to drive a Mk1 Metro;)

MickyFinn likes this.
  4. skires

skires Well-Known Member

I've peddled this garbage on many occasion ...

These are the hidden 'pleasures' of springer shooting and Sunday morning target shooting.

When you are setting up a PCP on a practice range. You shoot it HFT style prone or you shove it on a couple of padded bags. You then test for your best batch of pellets. You then check all POI at different ranges and you note the aim points on your scope etc. Having done all that you can shoot in a bit of side wind and you see how much that side wind affects your POI at various ranges. You can take all this info onto a course with you. On the courses you get to accumulate more useful knowledge about where the pellet went if you miss. All this info is stored and over a period ( experience ) this knowledge will earn you more targets.

For the springer freaks ...

Are these batch of pellets shooting poorly because they don't suit my rifle or am I just shooting this ****ing stupid springer badly today? Will these aim points and POI's, and amount of drift ( because is this genuine drift or am I shooting it differently today ), be the same tomorrow when I've eaten something different for breakfast and/or I'm probably holding the rifle 2mm different than I am today.

... and as Dan has commented ...

The bewilderment of spending 3 hours going around a course and driving home thinking ... I have absolutely no idea why I missed most of those today.

Penny Farthings in the world of modern mountain bikes. Only the psychologically out of balance need apply.

After 50 years of shooting these things I have one conclusion about how you shoot them accurately and consistently ... You can't. It's like entering a soup eating contest and agreeing to eat your soup whilst jumping up and down on a trampoline. Some fools think they can master them ... nope. Their design and function means they are not capable of sending a pellet down a barrel and releasing it with enough consistency to be useful ... only to torture the minds of people who refuse to see sense.

Having said that ... and with respect to MrGeoff and the many others that say the same thing ...

It's really not difficult to keep hitting 40mm kills time after time after time at 55 yards with a springer ... some days.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  5. imorik

imorik Member

Club:
    Ex Anston FTC
    :D:D:D ok if its a 6R4 ;)

MickyFinn likes this.
  6. Steve M

Steve M New Member

I have started on a box standard HW97KT springer, and have reached the point where I cannot progress any further with it. I have seen the light and am now about to buy a PCP. I have had a few people suggesting replacing the guts of my springer to reduce the recoil, but I guess the problem will still be there to some degree, whereby I struggle to see where I am landing and have a large grouping. I have also tried some indoor testing this weekend to see if I change my hold whether it makes any difference to my grouping. Every little thing I changed did make a difference to the grouping position, although only putting it flat on a beanbag actually made a smaller grouping. Changing my hand position, cheek against the butt, cheek off the butt, holding the grip tighter or looser, fingers against the stock or away, etc, etc, had the result of shifting my group left or right, but didn't make the grouping any tighter. I cant blame the rifle as off a beanbag the group is much tighter. I guess I just have to admit to defeat and go PCP...

7. Cooper_dan

Cooper_dan Member

No Steve! There is never a point where you have progressed too far with a springer!
    Do you shoot hft/ft/benchrest?
    What kind of scores are you getting? The dark side is boring and clinical. You'll be buying a gimp suit next

8. Steve M

Steve M New Member

I started around the start of this year's winter league and have been trying to do FT, with very mixed scores between 3 and 14. I am okay up to around 40 yards with no wind. I have also done a bit on the indoor range but definitely prefer outdoor FT.

I am an engineer so I like logical, predictable and clinical, which my springer is not, although it has still been fun. 8)

What's wrong with gimp suits?

9. chrisc

chrisc Lucky git

Erm, they're for Gimps?;)

It will come Steve, perfecting the position and learning the wind is a very, very long road......bit it WILL come mate.:)

10. mrgeoff

mrgeoff Member

Club:
    Bisley BFTO
    Steve, tuning a springer is going to make the springer better, not just for FT. The 97 reacts nicely to a short stroke too.
    Sure, the springer adds an additional layer of complexity, but the engineer in you should be able to sort the rifle part out. At the end of it all, I shot with someone last week who cleared the course with his springer.
    Throwing money at a PCP may get you a better score, but will you shoot better? Unlikely, and you will never shoot that 97 properly. If you stick with the 97, just imagine the satisfaction when you start climbing the ladder above people who have chosen the easy route. When your at 25 out of 30, then maybe try a PCP :)

11. Adam

Adam Member

Club:
    Redfearns & the UBC
    Yes and you've said the same in reply to me on more than one thread. Objectively, you are of course correct. A well set up springer is more than capable of that. Once you get yourself on the plinking range, tuned in to shooting it (body position, mindset, all that jazz), yes you can repeat it time after time.

BUT... even then... it's still more satisfying than doing exactly the same with a PCP! :cool:

MickyFinn likes this.
  12. skires

skires Well-Known Member

Absolutely fair comment. 100% agree. I think I was trying to make the point that the ultimate goal in springer shooting isn't being able to hit a 40mm target at 55 yards. If you've put the time in and are having a good day a decent springer and shooter is easily capable of 40mm at 55 yards ... repeatedly, and you wonder what all the fuss has been about. As you say ... getting there takes more work than with a PCP, and so is more satisfying when you have reached a point where you do it regularly. The real tough journey is being 10% off ( sometimes not even noticeable ) and seeing the scores dive ... but that's probably the same reason why springer shooters keep shooting them.

13. Gary Martin

Gary Martin Member

Club:
    harriers field target
    maybe a 6R4 group B rally car!

14. frank

frank Member

Club:
    lincs hft
    Sadly I have had to witness countless normally stable shooters fall for the dark magic that are springers, It starts innocently enough, "I only got it for a bit of plinking",
    But before long they have started to age prematurely and develop the springer twitch, you see these sad souls wandering aimlessly mumbling about top hats and preloads with an allan key firmly clenched in a death grip
    By now they are beyond all human intervention, They are trapped on the treadmill of modification until they emerge the other end broken and bankrupt surrounded by a thousand broken springs and the realization the gods never meant man to master the springer

nick2, Dan Staps, Tinks and 1 other person like this.
  15. DecDec

DecDec New Member

I enjoy shooting a springer very much. Yes, they are more challenging than a non recoiling gun, but for me this is part of the fun.
    I shoot the latest model Feinwerkbau Sport, which is one of the more challenging springers I have owned over the decades. But I just love it. What do they say .... love is blind.

16. Tinks

Tinks Member

Club:
    Lincs HFT
    Unfortunately I have to agree with Frank above.......only one question though.
    Are you talking about me or Nick? ;)

nick2 likes this.
  17. 22pelletpete

22pelletpete New Member

Or you could just buy a tx200 twiddle it a bit and be stress free!!

18. frank

frank Member

Club:
    lincs hft
    Hi Richard, Yes both you and Nick were the inspiration, But mostly Nick:D
    Pete!, The twiddling never stops

Tinks, nick2 and MickyFinn like this.
  19. FPoole

FPoole Member

And nothing beats the look on that pcp fellows face when I out shoot him with my bog standard 25mm internals TX. It was my first look at the $3,500 Thomas rifle, this weekend, and it was it's owner's utter dismay to be whipped by a dinosaur( the gun and me).

20. chrisc

chrisc Lucky git

This thread reminds me....must break out the TX for some more practice for the PJBRC shoot.

imorik and MickyFinn like this.