Springer advice needed

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by CameronWilson, Aug 17, 2013.

1. CameronWilson

CameronWilson Member

Club:
    JGARC
    Is it normal for a new HW77K in .177, to produce so much recoil that the scope moves in the mounts both horizontally (moves back in the mount until the flare in the objective bell stops it) and rotation (spins so that there is cant).

I've checked to make sure that both the mounts and the tube are clean and free from oil, and I'm tightening the bolts up alternatively to the point where any more pressure is going to start to mark the tube.

Cheers,

Cam.

2. Strokebloke

Strokebloke Mk3 Fanatic

Club:
    SYWELL NTSC : FT : Greyhound : Kibworth
    I would check first that the rear mount has a 'recoil restraint screw', and that it is engaged in one of the three indents on the top of the action. You need one on a springer.
    Whilst the scope is off, check that there is a clean, slip free surface on each of the semicircular mount surfaces and caps.
    The mounts need to be tight on the dovetailed rail, but the scope caps need only to be tightened to hold the scope firmly.

I found that with my HW77 it was important to get my cheek in the right place on the stock first, then position the scope to suit that head position; this will identify which of the three indents on the top of the action to use. If you position the scope first, you then have to relocate your cheek on the stock to suit the scope, which may cause eye-relief &/or parallax problems.

If all of that fails to produce the results you require, return the gun to the point of sale and discuss the problem with them.
    The recoil on my 77 is barely noticeable - certainly not violent, as you suggest that yours is.
    Even for a new gun, it shouldn't be doing what you describe: in my humble opinion. :)

HTH
    Jack

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
  3. CameronWilson

CameronWilson Member

Club:
    JGARC
    Thanks for the advice, Fella.

4. Neil-T

Neil-T Boingers forever.

Club:
    Far Coley
    Good advice Jack. You need to use quality mounts for a springer. Or even a 1 piece mount. If its still moving then there is something not quite right somewhere. What mounts and scope are you using.? Neil.

5. neilL

neilL New Member

Club:
    NOFTC CRPC
    Hi
    I bought a new 98 and that was the same. Vicious twisting recoil and it went up in fps so I returned it via the dealer. Hull chopped a bit more off the spring which quietened it a bit but it still gave the mounts a pounding. I replaced the spring with a V-Mach kit (waited ages) and it is much smoother. The original spring was just badly chopped at the end and I suspect the pointy bit was digging in to the piston which may be the reason for the twisting recoil.
    I haven't used it much as my own internals suffer a bit from the loading cycle :-( Nice though, now in a GinB stock and an old 18-40 PR Leup in a one-piece mount. If I hold it right it hits the aim point :)

Neil (A N Other one)

6. CameronWilson

CameronWilson Member

Club:
    JGARC
    It's a Hawke Sport HD scope, and I'm using a Sportsmatch one-piece mount with the arrester pin in place.

Just to clarify that the mount itself hasn't moved, but rather the scope within the mount. I've checked, and it's the whole scope body that's twisting, so it's not as though the reticle has com loose.

It becomes noticeable after maybe 5-10 pellets.

I'm going to see if I can get my mits on some signmakers double sided sticky tape. It's the stuff they use to hang motorway signage. That should hopefully do the trick!

Cam.

7. Strokebloke

Strokebloke Mk3 Fanatic

Club:
    SYWELL NTSC : FT : Greyhound : Kibworth
    I'm with Neil on this. I would also suggest that it is the gun at fault.
    The gun shouldn't produce a significant torsional rotation in recoil, such that it effects the scope to rotate in the mounts.
    There's inevitably some rotational reaction, because the spring is a torsionally wound mechanism; but it's primary release of energy will be axially along the action of the gun

I'd suggest that the problem with securing the scope in the manner you suggest, is that you may cause damage to the internals of the scope by restraining it against such an adverse recoil.

8. Neil-T

Neil-T Boingers forever.

Club:
    Far Coley
    Please don put any kind of sticky tape in the mount, this can and will effect your zero when It starts to degrade, and will react to hot and cold temperatures. Neil.